Chivas - "You must be of Hispanic descent to to play"

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Wallydrag, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=1016

Under the direction of Dutchman Denis You Kloese, the prodigy of current Chivas coach Hans Westerhof, Chivas will try to target as many Americans with Hispanic backgrounds as possible, to enter into their expansion team. The program will be called "New Blood", and will begin "in days"

Ironically, these players would be able to by-pass restrictions under MLS law that holds down the number of foreign players per squad, in essence making Chivas USA the Hispanic-only team that Vergara has been hinting about all along.

The spokesman for Omnilife - Vergara's company - explained that Chivas USA will have to respect the history of Chivas, noting the key aspect as: "Young blood, commitment, good soccer, and a spectacle for the fans," before adding that any American players that will be in their squad, will have to be of Hispanic descent.

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I posted this in another thread...

1st of all, the quote is initially taken from La Opinion, a Spanish language daily in LA that is NOTORIOUS for quoting anything and anybody. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

2nd: The article quotes that they would go for US Latinos. So the anti-American paranoia doesn't fly, b/c Latinos ARE American. If not, then tell the Armed Forces to stop recruiting our boys to fight for this country...

3rd: It is vs. US law to discriminate based on race. There's no way this quote could ever come to fruition. The team would suck, and fans wouldn't show up. It would be counter productive. Now, if the team winds up in LA, it wouldn't be a problem w/ attendance. But SD and Houston both are around 20% Mexican. It would far too limiting in scope to cater exclusively to the Mexican market. It just won't fly.

This is another example of a minion talking.

3. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying one thing or another. I was just posting information.

4. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and uclaCarlos is just reporting what he knew and his opinion on why an All-Mexicans chivas won't work.

People, stop assuming that Chivas USA or San Diego will be All-Mexicans because MFL Chivas is all-Mexicans. MEXICO AND USA are two different countries with two different soccer system.

UNTIL an announcement is MADE on MLSNET.com where the MLS commissioner states that CHIVAS WILL MADE UP OF ALL MEXICANS, you should presume innocent until proven guilty, and the "beyond a reasonable doubt" thing. Right now, there is almost no evidence to back up your argument except a few quotes from some of Vergera's minions in some Spanish newspapers.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    But then that Vergara's gonna git some fancy, smancy la'ya' (lawyer) ta git hisselv outta this here mess, ya see. And what, you don't think the GOVERNMENT'S not capable of cover up?!

which are subsequently translated POORLY by hack writers, and then those same words are repeated ad nauseum by paranoid posters on every footie message board in the country. I've seen threads of over 100 responses to a quote that was clearly a JOKE in Spanish but the Anglophone schizophrenics conveniently chose to eliminate the joke indicators (the international 'haha') to disseminate their ignorance.

Whereas I have some problems w/ our forefathers (slavery, a Constitution too difficult to amend, etc.), I gotta love the innocent until proven guilty culture that they TRIED to establish. What a collosal failure on BS...

6. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest to God, I think I'm going to take a break from all of this Chivas stuff.

1) it's too early to get so worked up about stuff. They're not going to start play until 2005 so we have almost a year and a half to get all our grievances out there.

2) Let's just see what actually happens. Chivas can talk a lot of talk, but will they walk the walk? Who knows and as of right now, I don't care.

3) What's eventually's going to have is what's going to happen. My saying something pro/anti or anyone else's rants that are pro/anti, in the grand globe of reality, aren't going to change anything. Vergara has an agenda and he's going to get as much of it as he can. Now whether his agenda is really getting an all hispanic team are just talking it up to get his team and name out there more and more, well, who knows.

All in all, I think this is going to turn out badly. Not because it's going to be all hispanic and marketed just to hispanics, but because I don't think it's going to be as successful as Vergara thinks. I also think he has something up his sleeve that doesn't have MLS at heart and when things don't go well a few years down the line he's going to sneek out the back door. Hopefully there will be some other new teams in the mix and when Chivas goes down, the impact will be minimal. They'll just turn into the Expos of MLS.

But alas, I'm relegated to just having to sit back and see what happens and hope I'm wrong.

7. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I've heard rumors that there might be some pretty good soccer on this weekend.

8. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are wrong too.

I believe Vergera and his minions are taking a gamble to spew these rumors in order to get more publicized. In a marketing standpoint, it is a very good strategy. A lot more people now know who Chivas is than just stating 'Chivas will expand into MLS in the year 2005' in an article somewhere. The more people talk about it, the more well-known Chivas USA get----particularly in the Spanish-language press which also spew over to the English press.

Remember that Vergera is a very shrewd marketer. Call your attention back to MLS All-Stars game where he did his rantic of 'revenge for Mexico in WC02' so that more people would pay attention. Well, the game was sold out with a lot of people being turned down for tickets after waiting in lines (mostly Chivas supporters). My best bet is that he is targeting the Mexican-Americans right now, letting them know that Chivas USA is coming and will be a powerful force (i.e. the Chivas will be dominant statement) and hopefully some of them will pay attention. His rantic of (or "hinting of" as Chris Bergin suggested) a full Hispanics Chivas is to attract the Latinos in the US who think it is a good idea, where they might say 'it is about time' or something. Of course, the law prevents this. However, when Chivas is made up 70-80% Hispanics, I don't think those 'targeted' people will turn away just because Chivas is not 100% Hispanics.

i.e. (untrue scenerio) Florida Marlins hinting at having an All-Hispanics team in Florida where the Hispanics population are huge. This hint in the media resulted in huge publicity. In the end, Florida Marlins only have like 70% Hispanics. Most of the people that like the 100% idea will still tune in to the team even though it is only 70%.

p.s. the majority of the Florida Marlins roster are Hispanics. the majority of all NBA teams are African Americans.

9. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, only 7 of the 22 man Florida Marlins roster are Hispanic (32%). Also, Hispanics count for 35-40% of Marlins fans.

10. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    news!!!!!!!!!!

is a done deal: TODAY IN LOS ANGELES VERGARA ANOUNCED THE NEW PROJECT, and HOW he will recruit young players of Hispanic/latino roots....try outs for kids 14 to 24 yrs of age

I think he will held one week in los angeles in november and one more week in Sandiego or Houston (not clear) in december.

is a reallity and the man is already working, HE NEVER MENTION THE WORD CHIVAS FOR MEXICANS, he put lots of emphasis on Hispano "parlantes" (spanish speaking players) of any latino roots.

the name look like is going to be chivas USA!

for more info they had an 800#

1-877 chivas1

www.chivassangrenueva.com.mx

11. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    that site has been under construction for a long time. mmmmm the only link that works is his company's website..

man... cant belive Chivas does not have an official website :D lol

12. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    after the press conference of yesterday: 2 important things, the city to host CHIVAS USA will be announced on 11/22th and 2 try out on the works before the yr ends.

will they announce who will conduct the try-outs?

It sounds to me that is time to speculate or name a coach or selection director of futbol matters: to me there is few names that attrack old MLsers and Know the system by know

carlos el pibe valderrama (now with the colombian nats as advisor)
    el Diablo marcos echeverry (ready for retirement and owns a kids futbol accademy)
    Mau Cienfuegos (specially in california)
    carlos Hermosillo (ties with chivas, not much experience outside california)

are they ready to coach at this level?

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd also suggest Leo Cuellar. He played for Mexico in the WC, played for San Diego in the NASL, coached college, and currently coaches Mexico's women's nats. He'd be someone with credibility for Mexican fans, but also knows his way around Southern California.

14. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    What in the %$@# Cuellar, Cien, Etch jeebus i hope Not. You guys must be out of it to consider these players as coaches for CHIVAS !!! As for Hermosillo he studied to be a Directivo and not a coach. The new Chivas coach has got to be from the Chivas school of thought im not sure at this point who is the most qualified. However i think he should come out of the MFL or be a Dutch coach since we are now playing a total football style footy.

15. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    v styles....vergara will please more (not that he has to) with a person from the ranks of MLS or college USA....and get more chances to win.

besides, Is hard to coach in usa for an outsider and understand how things are done here, there were many at the early stages of MLS that had coaching credentials, but failed after missing the point quick.

All the support could come from guadalajara, but at one point or another he knows that they will be 2 different entities....

16. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Chivas USA

Originally posted by efernandez9

v styles....vergara will please more (not that he has to) with a person from the ranks of MLS or college USA....and get more chances to win.

He is not making the team for More he is making it for me :)

besides, Is hard to coach in usa for an outsider and understand how things are done here, there were many at the early stages of MLS that had coaching credentials, but failed after missing the point quick.

Its my team, mine mine mine mine...

All the support could come from guadalajara, but at one point or another he knows that they will be 2 different entities....

The point is to bring in a Chivas style of play so tell me efer which MLS coach has teh Chivas style of play that will atrract Mexies and other fun loving latinos to watch the team !?!?

17. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    that is a very difficult question man!

chivas has changed coaches like 4 times in one yr.... and the styles differ from game to game.

Is your team, look at this and please translate for the masses.....

El equipo, que llevará el nombre de Chivas-USA, tiene propuestas para asentarse en las ciudades de Los Angeles, San Diego, Houston y Chicago.

"Cada una de las ciudades interesadas ofrece una serie de ventajas: terrenos, aspectos fiscales, exenciones, inclusive algunas ofrecen compartir el costo del estadio", añadió el propietario del conjunto rojiblanco.

Vergara explicó que la decisión final dependerá de que la ciudad seleccionada para asentar la franquicia le ofrezca a plazo mediato un estadio nuevo y propio.

"Lo importante es la afición de cada ciudad para poder tomar la determinación. Los Angeles es la ciudad con más aficionados de Chivas, entonces lleva ventaja, pero hay otros factores de por medio", manifestó.

El empresario dijo que la decisión final podría tomarse el próximo 24 de noviembre, cuando la asamblea de la MLS tome una determinación no sólo respecto a la ciudad, sino también a si Chivas-USA debutará en el 2004.

Además de la petición del "Chivas" de Guadalajara, la MLS analizará el ingreso del club América, que también está en negociaciones para ingresar su propia franquicia.

Vergara anunció que, con el objetivo de captar el talento local para el Chivas-USA, se llevará a cabo un proyecto denominado "Sangre Nueva de Chivas", encaminado a reclutar jugadores entre los 10 y los 24 años de edad.

Explicó que el Chivas-USA "será hispanoparlante, con refuerzos del club central en México".