Chivas will have non-mexicans now?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by lond2345, Sep 24, 2004.

1. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/noticias/?id_noticia=2705

*you need babelfish to translate it, ill give my little summary below*

Now they're saying that they will have non-mexicans hispanics born in the USA. So much for the all mexican policy. I wonder if this will affect the ticket sales in the mostly mexican l.a.

They also said that Chivas USA is what MLS have been waiting for. A team that can bring fans to the stadiums. Stuff like this is what makes some mls fans angry.

"Chivas USA será el símbolo de la MLS y de la comunidad hispana. Seremos los mejores y a partir de hoy los demás equipos deberan preocuparse porque estamos haciendo las cosas en serio", advirtió el empresario."
    Chivas USA will be the symbol of MLS and the hispanic community. We will be the best and starting from today teams will have to worry about us, because we are doing things seriously, Warned Vergara"

When Vergara was asked if non hispanics could play on the team, he said quote "Sorry, no Gringos allowed. This team is for hispanics only."

2. churchill2000

churchill2000 3x MLS Cup Champions

Jul 12, 2004
    Monde Virtuel
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

From what I have read from other sources,it will be mexican based, but if you are right, which I hope you are, then attendance becomes pitiful, and hopefully MLS will just kick Cheapass (couldn't afford their own stade) out.

3. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Where did you see/hear/read this :confused:

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

I read the article and did not see where Vergara said that. IN fact Various didn't see it either. You mine showing us where he said "Sorry, no Gringos allowed."

5. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Alright, here is my take on CD Chivas USA:

I hate it. Why are we allowing another team, FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY, to form another team in our own league. Doesn't anyone else think this will diminish our look throughout the world? I wouldn't have minded Vergara coming to MLS as another investor for a second team in LA, but did he REALLY have to make a second Chivas franchise? Think about this: If PSV Eindhoven's owner wanted to make PSV London (this is just an example!), do you think the English would accept this? No. And perhaps the thing that pisses me off the most is that Vergara is being arrogant, in relation to "Spanish speaking players only" and such.

HOWEVER!, I have thought this over a lot, and I now realize this CD Chivas USA franchise isn't the worst thing to happen to MLS. After the faulire of Miami, and their attempt to bring in Miami's Hispanic community, I think that this whole Chivas thing could work. Many other people on these boards have pointed out to me that this Chivas USA team is not meant to be LA's second team, it is meant to be the team for Mexicans all over the US. And for that, I think Vergara is doing MLS a huge favor by bringing in a whole new fanbase (and more fans at that... which leads to $$$).

It's funny. I started this thread to rip at Chivas and Vergara, but as I kept thinking about what to write next, I realized that this whole concept is a good thing, and since I want US soccer and MLS to succeed, I will have to welcome CD Chivas USA with open arms.

I still don't like the name though....

And while I'm still on this whole expansion talk... do we really expect SLC to succeed? I understand Checketts has money for the team, and for MLS, and the stadium is okay for now... but is there really enough soccer support in Utah to at least average 15,000 a game? My gut feeling is that SLC is going to join Tampa Bay and Miami in the MLS graveyard... but let's wait and see.
    I've also been told that many LDS'ers (Mormons) take international trips to spread their faith, and they become attached to soccer through that. Let's hope that's true, and also hope that they would also follow a team stateside, and not the team they grew attached to while overseas, or maybe both.

6. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I didn't see it either. That makes three.

What many miss in the argument against CD Chivas is that there ARE groups willing to invest in MLS. Damn! There ARE investors for MLS. If CD Chivas fails....guess what...investors are going to be more cautious about investing in MLS.

El Chapulin Colorado

7. DirtyDTown

DirtyDTown New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dallas
    As a matter of fact. I've yet to read anything, ever, that says CD Chivas USA will officially only have Mexican players only. The only place I've read that is on these boards. Chivas USA is here and I think it's great for the MLS. All the haters should accept this and move on.

I also find it hard to believe that all Chivas fans follow that team because they are all Mexican. I only started watching MFL this season(because of all the Chivas and CA talk) so I know little about their history, but fans not following CD Chivas USA because all nationalities will be on the team sounds absurd. All this talk sounds like old school paranoia to me.

8. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Truth.

For those that would delude themsleves and entertain separatism; move on to another game and stay away from this WORLD game.

"Celebrating our differences" means Growth through diversity = Unity.. and it does NOT mean applauding separatism.

-

9. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't seem to find this quote anywhere, or even a paraphrase, or even a badly worded translation. Seriously asking, is it just me or are you trying to fan some kind of flames?

10. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless your a fan of the original Chivas :D