Chivas will be looking for "New Blood"

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by FlashMan, Oct 30, 2003.

1. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Do we still remain quiet? 'Cause he's still rollin

2. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    [munches popcorn]
    Let's wait until his foot reaches past his esophagus.
    [/munches popcorn]

3. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
  4. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    but cus, I don't get the whole "hypocritical" thing.

Let's see: he does one thing to market a team in one market.
    He tries another to market a team in another market.

Sounds like a business strategy used the world over. You ain't gonna sell many Ford Expeditions in England... Does that mean Ford doesn't really care about SUVs cus they don't market them?

5. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Exactly. Ford doesn't market the 'American' Expedition in Europe because the market there does not want an 'American' car. Instead, to capture the growing SUV market in Europe, they market the 'local' Ford Range Rover. Much as Chivas de Saprissa is doing by marketing their product to match the local market, and Chivas de Madrid will maintain the local flavor.

Contrasted with Chivas de San Diego...

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Chivas will be looking for "New Blood"

Side note: you're wrong.

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Chivas will be looking for "New Blood"

...and then had those verdicts reduced to actual expenses plus a nominal amount. ;)

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    you still do not get it!

Club Saprissa, did change: they used to have 2 or 3 foreigners, not any more.
    The coach was colombian, now they have Hernan Medford, Changes were implemented to fit chivas ideals......I do not know if Ticos resented, but saprissa fans sure like it today!

what you call chivas Madrid, is only preliminary talks (that were halted for about 4 months), and the spaniards owners put the rules for the sale....Not the liga or federation.

Here, I do not see him breaking any rules: will probably hire or scout 20 americans ("with hispanic flare"), find a coach, and if MLS allows him bring 2 or 3 foreigners (not necessarily of mexican Descent)

just like any other MLS team, The only difference is that chivas USA may not get the majority of the roster via draft (I think)

9. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    CUS

exactly what is your problem with this project? Is it that it will work or wont work and ruin the league?

You just keep babbling about and when you can even rebuttle, you go back to correct peoples typos which only shows your lack of knowledge on the matter. if thats your style, then thats cool..

but I am still waiting for the rebuttle from my previous post.

but a new question, whats your problem with this project?

Is it that you are afraid the MLS is playing favortism to certain demographics?

Are you afraid that the world will think of it as a JR league?

BTW. hows the Morelia-Fire partnership going? woowee i never expected those 2 clubs to form an agreement considering the amount of Mxicans from Morelia that reside in CHicago.

[​IMG]

Are the Fire also hipocritical?

10. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Chivas will be looking for "New Blood"

Dave, think about what I wrote exactly and then explain how it's wrong.

11. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Chivas will be looking for "New Blood"

And if MLS was taken to court by that proverbial coffee-spiller, lost and was initially stuck with a Huge Bill, but later sees the amount reduced after an incredible amount of legal expenses that were only reasonable in relation to the amount of the claim (almost $10m?), would you call that a victory for MLS? Happy? ;)

The point for MLS? They can't afford to litigate through their problems like McDonald's can. And the folks most willing to litigate aren't going to be the "reasonable man" you hear so much about in caselaw. No, it's going to be some hypertense dweeb with a chip on his shoulder. (btw, though the judge did reduce the verdict, it was still nearly $500k-- not exactly nominal-- although apparently the parties settled later).

12. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I've corrected typos? An outright error perhaps, but not a typo. Thsi is a typo.

Anyway, I have two issues with this:

1) The stated desire by Chivas de San Diego to practice discriminatory hiring (rehashed in all it's glory here).

and

2) Vergara's desire to see players move between the two clubs.

The first problem is one that MLS does NOT need. I can guarantee you right now, there are lawyers preparing their briefs ;) to be ready the second some guy gets cut. The little exchange about the coffee should be a clue: people in the US will sue for anything and everything. In its current precarious financial state, MLS does NOT need a protracted and expensive lawsuit--even if they do end up 'winning'.

The second is an avenue that currently no MLS team has access to--and would not be fair to the other teams. Granted he is likely talking out his ass, as I'm sure FIFA will have some say in what would be the international transfer of players, but he does need to start talking from a position where he is knowledgable.

It is also rather disconcerting that Vergara and his spokesfolks can go on record in the media with such little regard for the local laws and business culture. One of the first rules of international business is to learn the laws, culture and customs of the country you are targetting to expand to, and follow them. The civil rights laws in the country are a hot button issue everytime. He (and I WILL blame Vergara because HE is in charge) played this all wrong. Even if at the time of the 'official' announcement Chivas goes up to the podium and claims that they will aspire to find the 'best players available regardless of race, creed or nation of origin', the damage is done. Very poor.

However, one thing may come out of this. Let's say Chivas makes a deal with MLS and does establish a Youth Academy of Excellence in the US for Chivas de San Diego. Pretty stupid as the rules are now, since there is no process for a player from an MLS team's reserve or youth academy to get 'called up' to the senior team.

If there is ONE stupid MLS rule that I hope Chivas pushes to abolishis a real youth academy structure for the clubs. If a club does not choose to have one (The Fire does, I think the Metro still have a youth club, but they dissolved their reserves) then tough.

Now, Chivas can establish their 'youth' academy in San Diego this fall with players they think can be pushed to the senior team come next year. They may be able to avoid litigation by claiming a 'promotion from within' policy that--along with the draft--may give them somewhat of a competitive team. MLS would benefit because now teams like the Fire won't lose players from their reserve roster to the draft. The only sticking point is how this structure would mesh with Project 2010 and the USSF efforts at Brandenton, but I'm sure something could be worked out.

The Fire/Monarcas partnership is a red herring. This is just really some shared marketing initiatives, some guest training exchanges and an occasional friendly match. Nothing more.

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chivas will be looking for "New Blood"

Well, yes, punies in that case were reduced from about $3M to about $480k. Point taken.

At any rate, I certainly agree that MLS can't afford to help keep putting the defense bar's kids through college. And I've suggested early and often in discussions about this topic that MLS' lawyers are clearly smart enough to avoid drafting a policy regarding Chivas that will expose the league to easily foreseeable litigation. If nothing else, MLS at least has good counsel. I doubt that the eventual Chivas agreements and policies will provide easy targets.

My initial sarcasm above was directed toward all the hand-wringing on this site - and elsewhere - from people who stubbornly insist on assuming the worst in all cases about all matters relating to Chivas in MLS. Some people just want to be offended by the notion of Chivas and there's nothing much that will reduce their tension levels. Except maybe decaf...

14. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Fine. But I still don't see how that's hypocritical. Maybe you mean some other word? ;)

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And frankly, while on the surface it sounds silly, McDonalds behavior throughout the incident was pretty disturbing. One of the main reasons they got hit so hard in the first place was their callous behavior up until then.

16. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Maybe I'll go home and have a shnort of Chivas de Regal with a pipe and scare the Trick or Treaters. I'm getting a headache.

[​IMG]

17. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Given the ppl that have "said" what they've said and how it's been reported, it will be easy for a linguist to prove that the comments were misinterpreted or were by someone who is not in charge. The spokesperson for Omnilife made a questionable comment from a legal standpoint. Now, Omnilife will be a sponsor more than likely, but will not make personnel decisions when it comes to chivas.

It would be like Wells Fargo (which is a sponsor of the Galaxy and Earthquakes) were to say that they are looking forward to capitalizing on chivas' potential latino market.

18. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine the hysteria here if this team actually existed and had employees. :rolleyes:

19. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Strangely, I feel that people will probably calm down a bit after it's a little more real.

It's like an old school horror film. There's no gore, but damn, you imagine that some pretty bad sh!t is going on...

20. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Just checking to see who has been paying attention ;)