Chivas vs DC to open 2005, let's welcome Chivas in style

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by mbar, Nov 16, 2004.

1. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    From an impartial observer of this future rivalry, I think it will work out splendidly for MLS and the LA area. Three things will happen to offset your worries:

Not all Mexicans and Mexican-Americans like Chivas. Many despise the team. These could be turned into Galaxy fans by default. At least they will be paying more attention.

Other hispanics of non-mexican heritage may look to the Galaxy as their team when Chivas rolls into town. Not that you didn't already know, but the majority of the El Salvadorean population in the DC area thinks that Galaxy is based in San Salvador, same theory with Guatemalans around here...perhaps this will happen in LA. Passion breeds passion.

The hispanic press will pay much more attention to MLS as a whole and the LA soccer scene if there is something to cover such as the development of an amazing rivalry. For a time being it might be all Chivas, but over time you all have got to know that this can only be a good thing in that sprawling mass of humanity out there, right?

Whatever, take it for what it's worth. I think you all should just embrace this and ride the wave. Swimming against the undertow is always a loosing battle. I see a way for you to spin this into better support and passion for your team or an opportunity to wallow in self-pity. Not much in between, from my perspective...

I guess I'll bug out now and stop giving so much unsolicited advice.

Cheers,
    Tim

2. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    hmmmmm

I could watch the LA road game at a bar with other fans
    or
    go to a Chivas game

I think I'll support LA by viewing the LA game
    not by taunting the rival and ignoring my team

btw..........chivas will make the playoffs in the west

san jose and colorado will be left out in the cold

3. Rodneyd444

Rodneyd444 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    La Habra, CA
    Tim Leuwiki all ready said AEG wants to sell teams to get down to three (3), and they are buiding new stadiums in New Yory/ New Jersey, Chicago, and DC.

Varges has the money to buy the HDC, and will probally do so- anything and everything is for sale. Do you think Varges would keep the G's around in his stadium?

AEG could make money selling the G's to another party and move them to another city.

AEG gave the first game of the season to Chivas, not the G's.

The news media, i.e. KFWB is all ready reffering to the HDC as Chivas Stadium.

The G's FO could care less about G's fans.

Also, AEG was planing on making the HDC complex a tennis center, which never materialized with Pete Samprus; so they probally lost interest in the HDC complex.

The writting is on the wall....

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume that wall in your cell is padded.....

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Didn't AEG make 8 million dollars in total from the HDC, I'd sell that right away MLS isn't about making a profit. The Fire House will be almost totally publicly funded so AEG won't get as big a cut as at the HDC so I expect them to sell the Fire eventually.

6. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The Cadaver again.

7. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, I'm assuming 27000 Chivas fans will show up for the opener, and a group of about 300+ are going to try to make a difference? Your just asking for a beer shower...********** Chivas, I'll spend my ticket money on a Galaxy game instead, thank you.

8. mickeymac

mickeymac New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Paso Robles, CA
    Make a difference or not, I'll show to root against the Goats for the premier. I just hope the beer shower isn't recycled beer. :D

9. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MAke it real fun invite the Pacers and Pistons and the Fans of Detroit to make it fun!

10. Rodneyd444

Rodneyd444 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    La Habra, CA
    I rather go and support Real Salt Lake at their first game than support AEG by buying tickets.

11. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodney God forbid you support the owner of the Galaxy. Chances are Real Salt Lake will playing another AEG team, whats the difference? you know thye don't serve beer in Utah in any college stadium

12. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relax Rodney, your clutching at straws here. To say AEG is losing interest in the HDC complex is pure folly. They just got permission to build a hotel at the site which is the usual AEG strategy (much like Staples Center area). What would Veraga do with a tennis/beach volleyball/boxing venue along with the track & field and cycling venue? The HDC complex is in its infancy stage still and it will continue to grow with olympic hopefuls and a tennis academy to follow soon. The Sampras academy was a set back but I'm sure it is not an idea that is in the waste basket.

13. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the galaxy is going to stay in LA
    i had that same fear and i even had people that dont watch mls say chivas is gonna make the galaxy go out of business, its total foolishness, Chivas caters to mexicans and is only trying to target that demographic. Its stupid because chivas alienates fans like me(salvadorean) asians ,whites ,blacks,so forth. the galaxy caters to everyone and is everyone elses team, and will be the reason that the derby will be sucessfull but also cause problems. And besides Why would AEG buy a team and build a stadium for them, (which isnt something easy in LA, and is something the NFL has had a hard time trying to do. ) and then move them or sell them to another city. Theres a reason AEG owns Teams in LA, Chicago, and New York. Three biggest markets in the Country. And besides AEGis in the business of entertainment therefore they wont sell the HDC and they wont sell the galaxy, they've invested millions so much that they cant turn away now.

my two cents

14. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Simple. Make more money!

15. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Here you go Rodney,

Slippery Slope:
    An argument that reasons without justification that some thing or event will cause a series of events ultimately leading to some undesirable consequence.

One of 18 informal fallacies.

16. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're afraid of a beer shower you're not a real Galaxy fan. :D

Being afraid of having crap thrown at me has never kept me from attending USA-Mexico games at the Rose Bowl or Colliseum while being outnumbered 200-1

17. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you read my response wrong. My point was that I would rather spend my money watching a Galaxy home game. And the ratio between Chivas fans to G fans at a goats home game, that's just pointing out the obvious...

18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right. Why support the company that saved the league from extinction and has propped it up through years of losses? Why support the company that has made it possible for the Checketts-come-lately's to buy in after 9 years of struggle? :rolleyes:

Go support ReAL. No one in LA will miss you.

19. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    San Jose could always use another fan.

20. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    MLS 2005 can't come soon enough, im really excited about this Chivas-LA derby, i hated the Galaxy but since chivas is enterting i'll def root for the Galaxians, i just hope it generates more fans for both the galaxy and mexican soccer fans who never gave mls a chance and come out and support this goat team in benefit for MLS itself....just can't wait to have the chivas at the swamp! GO METRO!!!

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Sorry for the mis-read.