Chivas USA U19 Team in Copa Saprissa

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by cristoforo7, Apr 19, 2006.

1. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Chivas USA's U19 team will participate in the second installment of this annual U19 competition in Costa Rica along with similar youth teams from clubs such as Real Madrid, Boca Juniors, Santos, Cruzeiro and Chivas Mexico.

Players must be born 1/1/1987 or later, but teams are allowed up to three players born 1/1/1986 or later. There are 18 roster spots per team.

The tournament runs from May 27 to June 4, 2006.

http://www.copasaprissa.com

Last year, the games were apparently available for viewing via the internet in some type of PPV setup.

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Chivas USA has a u-19 team???

3. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :eek: Damn! That's news to me!

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Me too??

Anyone know fo sho?

I'm pretty sure MollG would know.

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    So any word on how they are doing?

6. MollG

MollG New Member

May 23, 2005
    socal
    what the heck i dont like track down their players ha but seriously this is new to me. someone give me some info maybe some pics, ill be at the games ha jk guys!

7. UpperV

UpperV New Member

May 11, 2004
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the U19 Chivas USA team lost 1-0 to REAL MADRID....anyone have any details???:confused:

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    That's not a bad result.

9. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Actually, it probably was a bad result ... just because a team is sent by Real Madrid doesn't mean it includes any of their good prospects. Real Madrid lost its next two games 4-0 and 1-0 and then beat up a referee. (Story in Spanish)

http://nacion.com/ln_ee/2006/mayo/30/deportes9.html

Chivas USA did win its next two games 3-2 and 1-0, but it has yet to face either Saprissa or Cruzeiro, who seem to be the top two teams in the group.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Tied Cruzeiro 3-3 Today!

So far:

Chivas USA 0-1 Real Madrid
    Chivas USA 3-2 CD Olimpia
    Chivas USA 1-0 AD Santos
    Chivas USA 3-3 Cruzeiro SC

As of right now they are 2nd in Group A and will go on to Semifinals.

11. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Has anyone found a roster or player list for the Chivas USA team?

I initially thought the U19 team might include developmental players Lopez and Sanchez (because they both have birthdates of 1/1/1987 or later), but I see they were on the bench for the game against the Fire on Saturday; it is possible they flew to Costa Rica after that game, of course.

12. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    I answered my own question. Assuming there were no last minute injuries or other changes, the roster is listed in this Chivas USA press release:

http://chivas.usa.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20060519&content_id=59653&vkey=pr_cdc&fext=.jsp&team=cdc

Here is the list:

Name--------------------- City

Felipe Miranda -------------Anaheim
    Chris Cortéz ---------------Mission Viejo
    Juan Fresquez -------------West Covina
    Erik Hummel ----------------Rancho Santa Fe
    Jorge Vásquez -------------Carlsbad
    Edson Rivera ---------------Lynwood
    Brandynn Ealwart ----------Las Vegas
    Pedro Ochoa ---------------Long Beach
    William Molina --------------Van Nuys
    Eric Avila ------------------Santa Barbara
    Luis Silva ------------------Bakersfield
    Joseph Torres --------------Long Beach
    Eder Robles ----------------Lynwood
    Arturo Brambila ------------San Pedro
    Joshua DiDion --------------Fullerton
    Ernest Mariscal ------------Anaheim
    Michael Farfan -------------Irvine
    Manuel Tejeda -------------Santa Ana

"Technical assistant" Andrew Ziemer is from up this way, fyi.

13. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It's annoying, but in order to protect the kids' collegiate eligibility, they probably need to segregate the pros from the amateurs. (Interesting that possible signee Carlos Borja isn't on the roster, either.)

BTW, the roster lists only Michael Farfán, not his twin brother Gabriel, but La Nación had this line: "Gabriel Farfán conduce con calidad y sabe administrar tiempo y espacio en el esquema de Chivas USA" ... so, apparently, Gabriel is there and showing well.

14. UpperV

UpperV New Member

May 11, 2004
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gabriel Farfan was a last minute replacement for a player that couldn't go. Both of the twins are there. Apparently Chivas USA was dominating game vs Real Madrid, but unlucky goal.

A lot of familiar names from residency and college that are playing SoCal PDL. Some are seniors in HS committed to college for next year.

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Farfan Brothers are both on Orange County Blue Star PDL team and are known friends of Eric Avila.

These three could all be the next Lopez,Sanchez,Borja.

16. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    As I read the Copa's website, Chivas USA has a big advantage going into tomorrow's final game for a couple of reasons:

(1) They play in the last game of the day, so they will know what result they need to achieve to make it to the semifinals;

(2) They play Saprissa's U-19 team (referred to as a U-20 team elsewhere), which has already secured one of the top two spots in the group and thus a spot in the semifinals. In fact, Saprissa U-19 has essentially secured first place in the group as Chivas USA would have to win tomorrow's game by five goals in order for Saprissa U-19 to finish second.

So Saprissa U-19 has nothing to gain in tomorrow's game and can rest starters, play to avoid injuries, etc.

If the earlier Cruzeiro-Olimpia game ends in a draw, Chivas USA will need a draw to advance; if Cruzeiro-Olimpia does not end in a draw, Chivas USA will need a win to advance. Goal difference will not matter.

Also interesting that the statistics page indicates that Chivas USA picked up one red card in each of the first three games. I find that hard to believe given the results, so maybe it's an error.

Also, the Chivas mother ship's U-19 team is also in a good position to qualify for the semifinals based on its current 7 points heading into the last day.

17. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Considering Chivas USA's U-19 programs is very new, sounds like they are doing very well to me in this event...

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Well we know they have at least 3 residency players and there are prob few more in that list that I don't know about.

19. UpperV

UpperV New Member

May 11, 2004
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question about the red card.... How would they reflect the sit out? I understood that there was a red card in one of the early games that resulted in a 2 game sit out?.... or would the way it is being tracked truly mean a card in each of 3 games?:confused:

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  21. MollG

MollG New Member

May 23, 2005
    socal
    i think i know this one guy on the team they call him wonka he goes to this boys private school by us called Damien

sorry this is kinda irrelavant

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States