Chivas USA Team Name

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by PVancouver, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Would those be the same nationalistic powers that schedule our World Cup qualifiers in cities where there are loads of people who will support the opposing team, thereby robbing the US team of home field advantage for a little bit of cash?

Yeah, if I were MLS, I wouldn't be too worried about those nationalistic powers.

2. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    How about:

Campeon MLS Chivas

3. SLCFan

SLCFan Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Utah
    Perhaps. I think those decisions are based upon money, but I have no idea what the deciding factors are for them, flip a coin? I would assume they want the games where the attendance will be good.

Nationalism is not based upon money. I think there will be a few uptight politicians that will give them no choice. It will turn into a big deal, it is a bad time in history to be showing any disrespect to the USA, and during an election year and the Summer Olympics. Just before the Olympics begin, poor timing to announce using the USA name on a Mexican heritage based MLS team.

Just my opinion of course, and yes I will be one of those who complain to anyone who will listen until the name USA belongs where it should, not on the jersey of a player who represents and has represented the Mexican national team. Also, if I were that player I would not want to wear the symbol of my closest rivals (enemy?) national team. Would you?

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Baaaaaaaa!

5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Just what MLS needs -- a hard liquor sponsor. NASCAR refused to allow the 99 car to have Crown Royal on the side of its car, never mind that Smirnoff Ice is on Matt Kenseth's vehicle.

6. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    This is unbelieveable tripe.

What politician is going to give a hoot in hell. Name one. And you say "during an election year." Is this going to become a campaign issue? Where? In California? Between Bush and Kerry?

And just what do you mean by "showing any disrespect to the USA"?

Are the Chivas players going to strip their uniforms off and burn them at midfield to show disgust for the United States? If any of them can't stand the U.S., they'll refuse to play in an American league to begin with. And I know of no Mexican player who ever refused to travel to the U.S. for a match their team may have been participating in.

And what do the Olympics have to do with any of this? We're talking about the American domestic league, MLS. Besides, the United States didn't even qualify to be in the Olympic soccer tournament. Lord knows nobody's going to be over in Athens with a USA on their chest complaining.

I'm horrified you even mention (jocularly, I hope) Mexico being an "enemy." I suppose you are aware that there's plenty of players from the "third world" on rosters of clubs in nations who were formerly colonial powers, perhaps even reigning over those players' countries at one time in the past and killing plenty its citizens in the process.

These men have spent their lives to become some of the finest soccer players in the world. They aren't letting ancient hatreds stand in the way of living their greatest dreams and making gobs of money doing it.

Stop stirring up the natives and acting like this is the end of civilization.

7. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Yeah, I suppose so...except your hypotheticals are just that. There's a team called Total Network Systems, fer chrissakes, so why not Chivas USA? Why is it ridiculous for someone that owns an incredibly popular franchise to name a new club after the existing franchise? Just because the situation's never come up before, I don't see how that automatically makes it an unwise choice for a name.

The whole project is one big branding mission, that's all. It would be stupid not to use the same name.

8. Denim Demon

Denim Demon New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    I prefer "Lokomotiv Chelski" myself.

9. SLCFan

SLCFan Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Utah
    I guess you just don't get it. Using USA in the Chivas MLS team name is a bad idea, period. Nobody said it would end the world, stop being dramatic.

Are you saying that Mexico Vs. USMNT are not "enemies" on the soccer field? Is there a bigger rivalry in CONCACAF? Again, I just don't think you get it or are trying to make this into something it isn't.

10. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    What I "get" is that this controversy over the Chivas USA name is a tempest in a teapot. Most people won't give a damn. You need to "get" that. You are the one making this something it isn't.

Fine. The U.S. and Mexico are enemies in a soccer sense. If Mexicans are getting paid good Yankee Dollars, I don't think they'll lose any sleep over the letters USA being on their jerseys. As a matter of fact, they may love flaunting it if they were to take the title. A little bit of "in your face" attitude.

Overall, this whole thing will be good for MLS. I can't wait.

11. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I agree, actually. It is a BIG disrespect to the USA to have Mexican-Americans wearing jerseys with USA on them. Politicians with a brain, heart and a bit of patriotic spirit should put a stop to this before the politically charged Olympics arrive! How have Time, NEwsweek and the NY Times missed this hot botton issue in the year of gay marriage and the war on terror? (I don't know either, but you can bet your bottom dollar that it has something to do with liberal media bias!)

You're going to complain until the name USA belongs where it should? Hmm. Does it belong in the name of every foreign companies' US subsidiary? Or do you complain until it should belong somewhere else?

12. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    So we should expect this on Fox News and in the NY Post and Washington Times soon?... ;)

13. SLCFan

SLCFan Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Utah
    1. I used "big deal" in what I wrote and didn't clarify it at that time. I didn't feel I needed to since anything related to soccer in the U.S. is really not a big deal to many. But I wrote it, so bring on the ridicule.
    2. I assumed a top Mexican player would not want to wear a jersey that said anything "USA" in big bold letters. I'll take your word for it if you say they wouldn't mind. Anyway, this was only in reference to the Mexican internationals they will get. Why would anyone assume I was talking about a US player?
    3. Are there many professional clubs in the world that use the country name in the team name?

14. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Maybe because most of the players are likely to be US players?

No. Are you worried about that people will laugh at us?

15. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that there is a J-league team called "Nippon FC".

Nippon is the Japanese word for Japan

16. SLCFan

SLCFan Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Utah
    Just wondering how common it is. For the most part, MLS has traditionally picked uncommon team names.

17. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just MLS, think NFL Europe, XFL; Wnba; wusa. Any new league in the past 20 years feels that they have to cater to mindless gen-xers. If skateboard man, dude on a bike w/ pegs and no need for a seat; or a snowboarder think that a name is cool then the MKT geniuses say that the rest of America think it would be cool. Appealing names as well as history is cyclical; therfore what was cool over 20 years ago shall be cool again. Look at the turn of the century baseball names... Mutuals, Excelsiors, Colossals; Savoys etc...

18. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I totally thought that a good name for Chivas USA would be Los Halfpipes!

19. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plse. excuse my ignorance but what is "Los Halfpipes"?

20. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    its for skating or biking...the los is in there for that touch of spanish flavor
    [​IMG]

21. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Instant classic post!

22. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Cleveland Spiders
    Brooklyn Bridegrooms
    Brooklyn Superbas
    Iola Gasbags

Hey, that last one would work for BigSoccer FC!

23. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    I'm I wrong if I just like the sound of Chivas LA better then Chivas USA, especially since the team isn't Chivas de Mexico that plays in the MFL? I'm I even worse that I don't think this will bing down the league nor raise it up and that very few away from boards like this will even care? And is it bad that I don't think any of this should have a bearing on the balance of power of Hispanic (whatever that means) Americans vs Americans (which before this board I thought meant people that are citizens of the United States), and I'm just glad there will be a team to charge the league and another team to dispise simply because they aren't the most massive team in America (wherever that is).

24. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea whatever happened to the official announcement that was supposedly coming our way this week: i.e., team will play at ....; team's name will be ....; etc, etc?

25. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Good heavens no-- just more mindless speculation and hand-wringing brought to you by BigSoccer.