Chivas USA GM Fired?

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by LArocks1968, Sep 7, 2007.

1. LArocks1968

LArocks1968 Member

May 20, 2007
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    It was reported on ESPN tonight that the general manager for Chivas USA was fired due to the lack of attendance at home games. Is that true?

If so, it's about time the front office is taking some action.:mad:

2. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
  3. LArocks1968

LArocks1968 Member

May 20, 2007
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA

ESPN announcers stated that he was fired and "attendance" was the #1 reason.

I place my bet with ESPN unless they re-tract their story.

4. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah i also heard it on ESPN tonight, hopefully the new GM makes our attendence better.

5. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look for a replacement to be announced very soon.

I would believe ESPN they are usually right

6. agutierrez

agutierrez New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    LA
  7. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, that is an AP story and not one that necessarily was generated by ESPN. Secondly, although it says he wasn't fired and that he will pursue other opportunities, it is very vague. It could easily have been manipulated as a face-saving maneuver depending on the relationships of those involved.

8. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/articles/9637437.html?page=3&c=y

9. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's not his fault attendance isn't good, the fan simply isn't interested unfortunately. The fans would rather watch Chivas Guadalajara play an amistoso against some team from Korea than to attend a Chivas USA game. What can the GM do? Bring Chente Fernandez to sing at every game?

Another thing that isn't helping is the parking. Parking itself is more expensive than actual tickets or about the same. But I guess that's out of Chivas USA's control.

10. LArocks1968

LArocks1968 Member

May 20, 2007
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    If you are just talking about Chivas Guadalajara fans yes, but he has failed to market this team to everyone in the LA metro area. His job is to sell the product to potential buyers and there has been no outreach to soccer fans outside of CD Guadalajara fanbase. The GM could have done more.

11. porque?

porque? Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Agreed!

12. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Riddance! Bring in a real MLS leader!

13. Ranka

Ranka Member

Apr 1, 2005
    There it is... your new Chivas GM...

link here

so what do you all think?

14. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Good find, Ranka...All we can hope for is more butts in the seats. The goats deserve better.

15. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    interesting.

i think it'll be a challenging step considering hunter hasnt worked with a team that's currently based in a foreign country (and thus has a limited market). also interesting to note, though, that hunter was the keynote speaker of this year's Multicultural Media expo.

things to note (among others):
    -has worked with the MLS galaxy, fire, earthquakes
    -transformed phoenix into a hockey town (bringing them to 94% capacity in all 4 years of existence)
    -played a key role in changing the image of the colorado avalance and denver nuggets (changed colors and logo) ---something that will immediately jump to mind with chivas: will we change our name?

THE ONE THING THAT WORRIES ME...and i mean really worries me:
    while working for the kings, he was linked to pushing the idea of moving the team to kansas city since attendance and sales were low. remember, he wants to bring profits and ticket sales to the club, not necessarily the city of los angeles and us fans.

his quote regarding the kings moving to kansas city:
    “We did not want to make this decision,” Hunter explained. “We realize that the Kings have a long history and tradition here in Los Angeles. But our revenues took a huge nose dive this season across the board. Ticket sales are way down. Parking. Concessions. Merchandise. We’re bleeding money everywhere, and it’s got to stop.”

:):confused::(

16. hrothgarofsocal

Apr 22, 2007
    Union Ultras
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    more bio...

Shawn Hunter

President & Chief Marketing Officer
    Anschutz Entertainment Group - Sports
    [​IMG]With nearly 20 years of experience directing the activities of several professional sports organizations, Shawn Hunter holds the dual positions of President, AEG Sports and Chief Marketing Officer for the organization considered to be the leading sports and entertainment presenters in the world.

Known as one of the most experienced and innovative marketing minds in professional sports, Hunter's responsibilities include strategic planning and overseeing of business operations for all of AEG's sports franchises, sports properties, events and tournaments among other initiatives operated by the organization. Additionally his duties include management of the several of the company's business units, including marketing, advertising, public relations, ticket sales, sponsorship, merchandising, creative services and client services for all AEG owned or operated venues and entities worldwide.
    As CMO, Hunter is responsible for overseeing strategic marketing initiatives for AEG properties including STAPLES Center, The Home Depot Center, the Toyota Sports Center, AEG Live, AEG Events, including international soccer play in the United States, as well as international AEG projects such as the O2 and Berlin National Arena projects (currently in development) as well as other new venues in development by AEG such as Sprint Center in Kansas City and stadiums in Bridgeview, Illinois and Harrison, New Jersey.
    Additional assets of AEG which Hunter directly oversees are the Los Angeles Kings (NHL) - under the separate title, President, Business Operations - Manchester Monarchs (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), Los Angeles Galaxy, Chicago Fire, Metrostars and San Jose Earthquakes of MLS, an expansion Major League Lacrosse team to be located in Los Angeles, four sports franchises operating in Europe, David Beckham Soccer Academies operated in London and Los Angeles and annual special events and tournaments including the upcoming Tour of California cycling road race, the JPMorgan Chase Open tennis tournament, the WTA Sony Ericsson Tour Championships, the Adidas Track & Field Classic, world championship boxing and track cycling events all owned or promoted by AEG.
    Most recently, Hunter was the President of the National Hockey League's Phoenix Coyotes for six years. Under Hunter's leadership, in the Coyotes' first four seasons, the club played to a 94-percent capacity (including 69 sellouts) and transformed Phoenix into a hockey hotbed. Hunter developed and launched the popular Coyotes logo and uniform, secured strategic television and radio broadcast partnerships for the team and created cutting edge marketing and ticketing campaigns. Hunter laid the groundwork to position the Coyotes as a premier sports franchise in Arizona.
    Hunter was also involved in the planning and marketing of the ALLTEL Ice Dean, one of the NHL's premier training centers and team's corporate headquarters. Under his direction, the organization secured a 10-year partnership with ALLTEL (formerly Cellular One) to include naming rights of the facility as well as a store on site.
    Hunter joined the Coyotes from the Colorado Avalanche in 1996. As the executive vice president, Hunter's first achievement was reaching a cap of 12,000 season ticket sales in just under six weeks - before the team even had a name. He was instrumental in creating and implementing the Avalanche team colors and logo as well as the logo for the Denver Nuggets. His creative initiatives and team merchandising efforts resulted in a Top 10 placement among NBA teams on an international level for licensed apparel sales.
    The Lawrence, Kansas native joined the COMSAT sports group in December, 1991 from the University of Minnesota, where Hunter served as the assistant athletic director. He marketed the annual University of Minnesota versus University of Wisconsin hockey game, and by moving the game to the Met Center in Minneapolis, set a new NCAA attendance record for hockey events. In addition, he introduced corporate marketing to the University athletic department, creating in-house production for Golden Gophers' television and radio broadcasts.
    Hunter began his career in professional sports as a corporate account executive with the NBA's Minnesota Timberwolves during the team's inaugural season in 1988-89. During his tenure with the Timberwolves, the franchise set a new single-season attendance record for the NBA, as more than 1.1 million fans passed through the turnstiles.
    Hunter received both his undergraduate degree in business administration (1986) and his master's degree in finance (1988) from the University of Kansas.

17. hrothgarofsocal

Apr 22, 2007
    Union Ultras
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Looks like he's been with us since 2006! Part of the master plan was to infiltrate & bring down the Gals from within...... see the bold quote on the hiring of Lalas to the Gals last year..

04/17/2006 1:13PM
    Lalas named L.A. Galaxy President and General Manager

U.S. soccer and MLS icon returns to Los Angeles as top front office executive

Los Angeles Galaxy Media Relations
    [​IMG]

CARSON, CA - AEG, investor/operator of the MLS Cup and U.S. Open Cup Champion Los Angeles Galaxy, announced that Alexi Lalas has been named the President and General Manager of the club. Lalas, who played for the Galaxy from 2001-2003, will return to the club as their top executive and will oversee all business and soccer operations. He spent the last year as President and General Manager of the New York Red Bulls (formerly the MetroStars) following serving as General Manager of the San Jose Earthquakes from 2004-2005.

"We are fortunate to have the opportunity to bring in one of soccer's brightest executives to the Los Angeles Galaxy," said AEG Sports President Shawn Hunter. "As we move into MLS' eleventh season, Alexi will be able to provide us with the unique knowledge and experience that comes from being both a player and administrator during the League's first decade."

Or if you are more inclined to read into this "conspiracy theory" the other way... He's infiltrated CUSA and plans to bring us down with brilliant moves such as the this.

The truth is out there.

18. Differ

Differ Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The recent futility of the kings and galaxy is more than a blemish on one's illustrious resume. Both of these teams have a rich history in L.A. If he oversaw those two franchises, I'm scared of what he's going to turn us into.

Can we at least leave the roster moves to Preki & friends?

While I'm not all that overjoyed with his recent work, maybe a new challenge like Chivas is just what he needs.

Since we have one of AEG's top guys in our FO, does this give us more pull to get a stadium? Of course after he miraculously cures our attendace woes?

19. Linus Tulagi

Linus Tulagi Member

Jan 5, 2006
    St. Paul, Mn
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas USA's team is well worthy of a lot of fan interest. They are playing very good soccer.

I could think of all kinds of ideas for ad campaigns- "LA's best soccer team", "Derby champion", "Soccer, not Circus", etc.

20. LArocks1968

LArocks1968 Member

May 20, 2007
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Interesting.

Got me thinking.....What ever happen to the Chivas Marketing Dept Guy on this board? I thought he was planning to have a focus group.

21. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me on this guys WE ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE SHAWN at the helm. this is huge news and great signing by CUE. by this time next year Chivas USA will be playing to good crowds and winning games.I was pumped when I heard about this Thursday.

I have seen what he has done for the Kings as a long time Kings fan and season ticket holder. Even though they are a mediocre team in the standing they continue to set new attendence records for the franchise.I believe they have had an over 90% to capacity average attendence for the last 5 years or so.

Will he help us get our own stadium? who knows, He did a stadium deal done for the Coyotes in PHX, one of the niicer arenas in the NHL now.

the best part of the deal, this guarantees we don't get stuck with Alexi Lalas

22. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Clearly Cue was joking when he said Hunter knew the league well. =p

I think Hunter will mostly stick to this type of business and leave the player related business to Preki and Teklose.

23. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have a great feeling with this guy, if anybody can bring in my non mexiacan brothers to watch Chivas its him.

24. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Low attendance is a result of the basic philosophical problem that Chivas USA faces: Vergara can't bring in a big Mexican star because then the Chivas Guad fans would be furious that he's not playing with them. And because the Mexican league pays so well, Vergara would have to use a DP slot (if they had one) on a relatively mediocre Mexican player.

The one marketing thing in his favor is the lower ticket prices (except for the expensive parking, as you mentioned). So while most teams are busy trying to get their Hispanic marketing up and running, it may behoove Chivas to start marketing to families in the LA area as the best family-priced pro-sports bargain around, etc.

25. Linus Tulagi

Linus Tulagi Member

Jan 5, 2006
    St. Paul, Mn
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They ought to market themselves as a team of Mexican/US players. That's just about in line with Chivas Mexico policy and with how Chivas USA is now. Chivas USA doesn't rely on Europeans like Beckham or South Americans like Schellotto, Gomez. The only starters that don't quite fit are Shavar Thomas and Nagamura. I think Zotinca is a US citizen. Kljestian and Guzan fit quite well.