Chivas to play on Home Depot Center in LA

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Power, Mar 16, 2004.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I was looking forward to a San Diego team, playing in Qualcomm would have been a bummer. The HDC is a 1000 times better place for a soccer match.

Still a long way to go before it becomes official I imagine.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $800M of their OWN money? Really?

I'm not calling bulls*** because I know differently. I don't. I'm just asking.

My question is relevant because if the Jets are getting the taxpayers to pay for their stadium, that's not necessarily relevant to Chivas USA's situation.

3. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Screw that. All MLS games in LA should be played at the HDC. If you can not attend a derby game because it is sold out, you will just have to buy a season ticket or a big-game package the following year to ensure that you have a ticket to the big games.

Having said that...I hope the new expansion team goes elsewhere. I would like to see MLS tap other markets before doubling up. An expanded national footprint increases leverage when it comes to TV negotiations. We may also see the Neilsen ratings increase with the addition of teams in new markets. :)

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    talk about missing the big picture.

Besides Superdave's point..
    Yes the Jets are leaving, but the point is they existed as a team, and sold out games as well as the Giants simply b/c people didnt care re: sharing stadiums. Or if they did, the effect was minimal..

THe MLS is in more need of $$$ and establishing itself as a worthy investment/league, this is a great way to do it. 5-10 years down the line they can take the next step..

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you see this happening> What has MLS done to "give them the keys?" My (admittedly Babelfish) read of the story says MLS said Houston or San Diego and Sisniega is still insisting on LA. I have to date seen nothing from a league official saying they will be in LA.

I'm still in the middle on that idea, but I have seen nothing to convince me that this is anything other than Sisniega getting his name in the paper for the sake of his own ego.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

The Jets are putting up roughly $800 million for the stadium project. Did I forget to mention the the stadium project will be costing nearly $3 billion ?

7. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed that one!

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No, absolutely not. But Chivas Guadalajara is arguably the 3rd most popular team in the LA basin.

Like I said earlier, not every Chivas fan will line up for what some will call "Chivas Lite", but the point is that Chivas as a brand name is a formidable entity.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    But you sure as hell let a multi-millionaire pout his $$$$$$$$ into your pocket.

It's not about whining, it's about $, pesos, euros, whatever you want to call it.

Money talks, it does not whine.

10. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    MLS for sale? I don't like the idea at all.

Chivas has been jerking its fans and MLS both around - money doesn't justify Vergara's manipulations.

I don't like the team's ethnic focus in MEXICO - why would I want to see the "brand" that represents this imported to L.A.? There was more chance of Chivas actually representing a city if it played in another city. Since we already have an LA team, it ups the chance that Chivas would become the team for the "other" Los Angeles, further pushing the polarization of our city.

Do I want to go to games at the HDC and feel the stadium is racially split according to who they support? No, but I could see it happen.

That isn't assest to the game, MLS or Los Angeles. Bad all around.

11. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Why does it make us look like a joke? Becuase we become a feeder league for Mexico. We are not independent, we are dependent on foreign entities. While Metrostars maybe a stupid name, at least its my team, and not some foreign entity that is looking to make a quick buck.

As for Vergara, I wouldn't care if he doesnt' come into the league, and we don't expand next year. He seems like an odd character, and Garber could be burned by this guy. The idea is very enticing though.

12. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too am wary about how committed Chivas really are to MLS. Having them build a stadium would be ideal. And I seriously hope they drop the Chivas USA name and come up with something better.

However, I have to say that Chivas belongs more in LA than in San Diego or Houston. LA is just a perfect fit. And the rivalry with the Gals would be awesome.

Spreading the footprint is important, but let's not force a square peg into a round hole.

- Paul

13. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Concessions and the MLS vs. Chivas:

It was my understanding from earlier discussions that it was a *MLS* demand that, if Chivas wanted to play in LA, they would have to go to the HDC - something Chivas balked at.

I wouldn't exactly say that the MLS is laying down for anyone.

And regarding Major league Baseball in the 1920's and 30's, I would say that, although there are differences in popularity, intercity rivalries are they greatest part of any game. Would you rather watch Man United vs. Man City or Man United vs. Bolton.

If this pans out, you know that every single one of you is going to either be at the game or glued to your tv to see the HDC turn into a riot!

I think this is a great thing for MLS, Los Angeles, and the fans (unless you are in Sandy Ago or Houston)

14. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Oh, yeah, because RIOTS are sooo good for L.A.

Especially the ones that everyone watches on T.V.

Nothing like great publicity for our city and sport.

What an idiotic concept.

15. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Femfa brings up a good point:

Will the Galaxy vs. Chivas rivalry be split across ethnic lines?

Well, for that to happen, all Mexicans would have to like Chivas - which they don't. In fact, quite a bit HATE THE MUTHA-F'ERS. So, if we can get more anti-Chivas fans interested in Major League Soccer, we're gold.

Also, by "riot" I just meant a very intense game and crowd atmosphere filled with chants and cheering, some drums&horns. It was a bad choice of words.

16. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Did I forget to mention you're half full of it?

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/121003/c0110stadiumco.html

A team's "own" contribution is rarely in the form of writing a check for the amount to be contributed. It's much, much more likely that the "Jets' contribution" will come from:

(a) Personal Seat Licenses;
    (b) Naming rights;
    (c) Club seat revenue; and/or
    (d) Loans from banks and/or the NFL.

This is the way the Bears "contributed" to the New Soldier Field - "their money" was actually fans' money, the banks' money, and the NFL's money.

In the Jets' case, you can likely add "the company who puts its name on the thing's money."

17. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the city of Carson go for this....when Anchutz was selling the stadium plan to the at-the-time dishonorable mayor and the city council, I believe they advised there would only be about 20-25 matches. With Galaxy, Chivas USA, Mexico matches every other month, USA matches once a year, US Open cup matches, a college match here and there, Pre-Libertadores matches involving only Mexican teams.....it looks more like 50 matches easy. BTW, the person with the swing vote in our favor from the city council is now the mayor of Carson.

18. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    [COUGH]AEG[/COUGH]

So is AEG less foreign than Chivas? How so? Because they employ a lot of US residents/citizens? B/c some of their offices here? Wouldn't Chivas have offices here and employ US residents/citizens?

And for the last f'ing time, MLS will never, ever be a feeder league for mexico, especially w/ Chivas. Chivas has a really strict policy about foreign born players.

In all the quotes I've seen from the higher ups of Chivas, they have sought to include[/] non-Mexican Latinos as their targeted audience. And like Calexico pointed out, Chivas is the most loved and most hated team in Mexico. MFL fans will be forced to take a position: a. hate, b. love c. recognized indifference, which is better than not caring.

As far as making a quick buck, how is taking on the debt of other teams "making a quick buck"?

I see Vergara investing in footie in the big Concacaf countries, all of which did well in '02 (Turkey advanced over CR b/c of goal differential): Mexico (Chivas), CR (Saprissa) and now USA (Chivas). He's leveraging his bets. WC performance helps in fostering interests in domestic leagues. If either or all NT do well in future WC, Vergara wins.

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oh, and here's a translation of the article:

The signs are unmistakable. Chivas USA now has a home: LA. All that’s left is to adjust the numbers in order to make it official sometime next week.
    Amongst the numbers that need to negociated, more than adjusted, is the 10 million dollars expansion fee. The quantity isn’t negotiable, although the terms of fulfillment are.
    Also pending is the fee to be paid AEG for the rights to move into The Cathedral. ;)
    Ivar Sisniega, executive president of Guadalajara, explained vía telephone that the final decision is in the hands of the Jalisco organization, after a meeting last Wed. w/ MLS.
    The administrative committee established by Jorge Vergara, owner of Omnilife and Chivas, compiled a stockpile of information after visiting each possible location for the franchise: LA, San Diego, Chicago and Houston.
    MLS offered only 2 options: Houston and San Diego.
    What resonated most for MLS were the demographic, social, sportive, ethnic, cultural and financial reasons for choosing LA, and apparently these were the deal closers for the league.
    “MLS representatives show great interest and flexibility in listening to us and coming to a common ground in understanding our arguments.”
    “It’s no secret the advantages that LA offers. We know the amount of Chivas supporters there, the ever important Mexican and Latino populace, etc., and we are convinced that LA can house 2 teams w/ no problems,” assured Sisniega.
    But he quickly pointed out, “At this time, I’m in no position to announce, officially, that LA will be the seat of Chivas USA. I insist on pointing out that there are still numbers to be crunched.”
    However, he stated, “We still have to review the numbers that it will take to operate in The Cathedral.;)
    He reiterated: “Since the beginning of the negotiations, we have shown our interest, desire and conviction for LA.”
    Reluctant to make the decision official, given the need for a fiscal study of the final formal offer from MLS, Sisniega acquiesced to say that LA leads the list, followed by Chicago, Houston and finally San Diego, which “at this time appears to be the least probable”.
    Meanwhile, MLS has a strict expansion fee: $10 million, w/ possible flexibility of payments.
    On the other hand, on another occasion, Doug Hamilton, GM of the Galaxy, told La Opinión in Home Depot Center: “I want Chivas to play right here”, and pointing to the field, emphasized, “I want to see Chivas play right here.”
    Details…
    When MLS started, franchises were sold for $5 mill. When Anschutz bought the Galaxy from the original owners, he paid $20 mill. At this time, it is believed that the LA squad is worth more the $50 mill.
    The Galaxy would receive close to $50K/game from parking revenue.
    On average, the Galaxy earned $493K in tix sales per game and ended the season in the black.
    These numbers are quite seductive for Chivas.

20. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Carlos, old buddy, sometimes I think you get a little carried away. No matter what you think of Vergara as a businessman, I doubt he would be interested in investing in a club based on the future success of the national team. Even for somebody like myself who has little respect for the guy, I give him more credit than that. Nobody's ever proven much of a connection in CONCACAF between WC success and club profitability. If anything, WC success might increase the payrolls and make it harder to keep good players. He sees an opportunity to make money, pure and simple.

21. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to me it just smells fishy. it has upsides and it has downsides, but in the gut it feels funny. ultimately, i have just have to figure Garber and Lieweke know what they're doing.

and thanx for the translation!! looks like san diego has no chance whatsoever. hopefully the traffic between san diego and carson won't get any worse in the near future. :)

22. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    How many EPL teams in and around London?

23. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Chivas to take Over the Home Depot Center in LA

Otiginally posted by uclcarlos
    Chivas is the most loved and most hated team in Mexico

The most hated team in Mexico is America. Why would Mexicans hate a team made up of Mexicans !? Now i know at first many non Mexicans will be against Chivas USA which is primarily targeted at the Mexican-Americans but if Chivas USA continues with their Open tryouts and we have more and more kids from diffrent ethnicities playing in the team then it will become the peoples team. All these peeps will realise that they have a shot to play pro footie with Chivas USA because they dont have to go through Camps, ODP and College crap.. All the people that cant afford to put their kids through that process will get a chance with Chivas USA that the MLS has not given them and they will hate the team, i think not. Chivas USA the Working Class team, Brilliant..

24. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I wonder the same about Buenos Aires ;) :D

25. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The "Working-Class Team"? As opposed to the team of "Los Ricos"?

No players in MLS are making millions. The divide between Chivas and other MLS teams will be ethnic and racial. Being the second team in Los Angeles will only emphasize this. It's not brilliant at all.

What I've loved about soccer is its ability to bring diverse groups together - I've seen soccer moms going to games with with their nannies - and the kids from both families sitting together cheering for the Galaxy.

That's much less likely to happen with Chivas USA in town, and I think that's sad.

By the way, as I pointed out on another thread, the quote about Doug Hamilton could easily be about Chivas playing at the HDC for the MLS All-Star game. Remember it's noted, "On another occasion . . ." and he DIDN'T say "Chivas U.S.A."