Chivas to play on Home Depot Center in LA

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Power, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Power

Power New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    San Juan, PR
  2. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    This is a very good, informative article. It looks like something definitive with an announcement is to come next week.

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I like it, LA can easily support two teams. Doug Hamilton seems to agree...

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bad idea. soccer needs to be somewhere else to establish more of a nationwide footprint. it looks mickey mouse to have 10 teams and start doubling up on cities already.

5. Bandeirante

Bandeirante Member

Dec 7, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be the best rivalry in the game right from the start. It may even generate more interest in the Galaxy. The competition between the two teams to do well in the league would be incredible. Also, the HDC would generate lots of dough...

6. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I agree. Spread out some more.

7. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I disagree. Down the road I agree, but Jets/Giants pull it off with no major issues..

Think of how much $$ the league will save this way.. This far outweighs the mickey mouse factor.

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No more overhead for a new stadium in Houston/SD/San Antonio, etc.

A wealth investor makes it that much easier to sell new franchises and sell off existing AEG teams.

It's not ideal, no. But it's not a bad deal.

Oh, and this IS La Opinion, the US Latino's answer to Chris Bergmin. take it w/ a grain of salt.

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ideally, yes. But look at the options: Rochester (3 hrs. from NY?) and Cleveland (2+ hrs. to Col). Not exactly spreading out.

LA can handle a 2nd team.

10. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    It isn't mickey mouse having two teams in LA. What is mickey mouse and gimickry is the name Chivas USA. Unless he changes that somehow, I don't want that team in MLS. It will make the league look like a joke.

And it's true, immediately the best rivalry in the league. You have the more suburban white crowds of the Galaxy versus the hispanic crowds of "new" team. Incredible rivalry right there, especially in California.

11. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am a diehard Galaxy fan, but I've said since day one the Galaxy should share the HDC with Chivas.

It's a perfect fit because the two fan bases are SO different. Other cities, that might not be the case (even in NY). But, here in LA, the potential Chivas supporters don't give rip one about the Galaxy already and probably never will.

And, oh my goodness the rivary!

Will make SJ v. LA, or DC v. MET look like lovefests.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Footprint schmootprint - get the league out of its financial misery first.

13. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes and no. Many Mexicans will stay loyal to Galaxy. Pumas, CA, Tigres, Jaguares, ATlas, etc. fans would go AGAINST Chivas. Central Americans would go vs. Chivas.

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't compare the NFL with MLS. The Jets and the Giants are playing the most popular sport in the United States.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Chivas will beat the Galaxy like a gong in the stands each and every single time...

Topper and Loney getting nonstop beer & nacho showers? - I love it!

16. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I don't like this idea. The ideas already listed (the need to spread out, bush league image etc) are all valid, but there a three key reasons NOT to do this:

1: It sets the standard for making concessions for Chivas. They wanted LA. MLS said no. Chivas cools their interest, and suddenly MLS can't give them the keys to the HDC quick enough? Bad precedent. You never give in to a petulent child because they pout.

2: While there may well be the fan base in LA to support two teams, why not tap another media market? A good portion of league revenue comes from sponsors. The league already carries the LA media market. If they tap another market like Houston or Cleveland, the league becomes more attractive to possible sponsors.

3: This is the most important one. Chivas has already shown itself to be flaky. They are also not poor. By putting them in a new city, and having them build or renovate a new stadium, they are committed to the league. Putting them in the HDC gives them leverage for future pouting to get their way. "We want a break on the foreigner limit." "No." "Well, maybe we just won't stay in MLS anymore." Giving them residence in an existing stadium gives them the ability to pull out of the league at a whim. Let's get a solid committment out of them by seeing them build a stadium.

17. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the MLS you are talking about, right? How does a team called Chivas USA make us look like a joke more than having a team called the NY/NJ MetroStars?

Maybe, Maybe not. If Chivas de Guadalajara fans come down to see USA, then you'll definitely get a bump in the hispanic audiences. Otherwise, you are still pulling from the same fan base.

Now, if you put a team in West LA or the Valley - THEN you get some suburban white audiences.

I'm thrilled, though, if this is true. I hope this works out for a while, and then Chivas can build a new SSS somewhere closer to downtown (near Dodger's, maybe?)

18. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    To me, if anything, this reinforces my point. If they (an expereinced, established league) can pull it off, there is no reason MLS cant..

In a perfect world, everyone gets their own stadium and fils it up. In todays MLS world, smart, economic decisions are key..

I just think the upside to having this far outweighs the small downside.. Just my .02..

19. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, then how about the NY Yankees, NY Giants, and Brooklyn Dodgers, in baseballs early years? The point is, Los Angeles is so big, and the Galaxy pulling in such a small percentage of Soccer fans that this may end up causing a big stir, and getting some real publicity.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you saying that MLS is as popular now as baseball was then? :rolleyes:

p.s. by the way, where are the Giants and the Dodgers now?

21. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Wow, is that counter-intuitive.

22. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    It seems like an OK idea to me. At this moment in time I think that it is just about the best location FINACIALLY speaking. I am sure Uncle Phil (or whoever actually owns HDC) is happy about getting more return on his investment. 16+ more games of pure revenue. Expanding the footprint would be nice, but there does not seem to be a shortage of cities wanting MLS, just a shortage of investors and proper stadiums.

Another small benefit from Chivas playing in HDC, is that with the increased revenue and double the game dates perhaps the HDC will not have so many concerts or other activities during MLS season, thus saving the grass for only soccer.

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The Jets are willing to spend $800 million to get out of Giants Stadium and get their own home.......

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All i can say is that as a soccer fan, i really HOPE that this works out like the powers that be seem to think it will. once again though, i have to agree with Jacen. the league seems to be kissing the collective arses of those involved with Chivas, and it isn't a good precedent. Again, I hope i'm wrong.

25. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Would Chivas and LA Galaxy play derbies at the Rose Bowl? Maybe they could play a few home doubleheaders there too.

I would also want the ensure that Chivas have a clause that would protect AEG from having to spend lots on maintenance if/when Chivas are rowdy tenents. I am not making a racist kind of insinuation here - I just don't want to see AEG burned for grudgingly going along with the league on this issue. I know that Garber wouldn't push the groundshare if Anschutz put his foot down. But I am sure that he has mixed emotions about a team that could realistically bite into his attendance (or alternately help it) and steal the luster from his rose.

I would hate to see the field get torn up due to overuse (national teams + concerts + Galaxy + Chivas).