Chivas situation getting serious

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by CelticOnFire, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ok folks, I'm putting this out there now - via the info at the end of this article.

Club America of the MFL is going to buy the Burn. It's the only MLS club with the fan base and stadium potential that I think they want.

Prophecy is a tricky business - but I was right about Timmy H. making Man U first team - and right about Germany winning it all in the WWC - so third time's a charm.

2. TWR

TWR New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    New York
    I think Club America wouldn't mind buying the E'Quakes.

3. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that Club America was going after San Jose as well. Now it's Dallas?

4. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm guessing Dallas because this article mentioned the team having a stadium specifically.

Dallas is getting theirs, no? San Jose - well, the team is worth buying, but I'd personally find a more supportive market.

And - before I get buried by the San Jose faithful - I KNOW the gripes about the front office ad nauseum. I still don't think that its a valid excuse. Not when the free pub about Donovan and the championship play of the team should have lifted the team, even if there was NO other advertising or marketing to at least respectable instead of dead last in attendance.

5. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Well, I have a few thoughts:

1. Thank God MLS Chivas has to follow current rules as far as foreigners are concerned.

2. Thank God Garber and Vergara think Qualcomm is not the place to be, rather a SSS in San Diego.

3. I am willing to bet Vergara will try to load up his MLS Chivas roster with under-24 Mexicans. A "Chivas reserves" kind of thing. I wonder how much control over players, rosters, and line-ups Vergara will have. Will the coach be truly able to do what he wants?

4. I think it is highly doubtful Vergara was serious when he says he hopes there can be player exchanges going both ways. I think Vergara said this just to appease people. Why would an American want to go to Mexico to play anyway? I wouldn't. It is Europe or USA, no where else. How would this back and forth thing be worked out? I doubt MLS [who owns all player contracts] wants their players going to play in Mexico.

5. So maybe Club America is interested in the Burn, or the Quakes, or whatever. I just hope MLS does not become the MFL-div 2.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    *Yawn*

galperin, go chew on a brick.

7. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$$

8. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    we shall see what the future holds...I hope I am wrong about this.

and by the way...why so mean?

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this really a shock to anyone? That MLS was gonna enforce it's own rules and make all the teams adhere to them?

People, have some faith in this league you're trying to support.

C'mon 2005!

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    If nothing else, use Vergara to get the SSS built and when he finds the deal isn't working the way he wants, have a buyer all lined up. I don't think it will be that hard of a sell, espically if a SSS is already built.

11. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the way you think

12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Argentina? Brazil? Actually, a smart US player would realize that MFL is improving financially, and double the salary average goes a hell of a long way in Mexico. $300K/yr buys you the lifestyle of $500K.

B/c of this, it's much more economical to field a 2nd division team in Mexico.

You don't spend $10 million in order to pay for 4 bleeding franchises that soak up about $4-5 million in losses YEARLY so that you can get 2nd division players some extra pt.

'cuz ya ig'nant

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Lets go over this, because I've been reading a lot about Club America and the Burn. People see Dallas and think large hispanic population, so an MFL owner would make sense. However, what people don't understand is where this franchise is headed. The SSS that is being built is not located in Dallas, it's not even in Dallas County. Its in a suburb called Frisco, a town I proudly call home. While there is a small hispanic segment of the population, it is just that....small. Other surrounding suburbs have much the same makeup as Frisco. We are about 40 minutes drive time North of Dallas and specifically East Dallas where the hispanic population is centered. The population of Collin County is at most 5-7% Hispanic, a far cry from the more than 15% of Dallas County. The Cotton Bowl was smack in the middle of Hispanic Dallas. Fans could walk, ride a bike, or take a bus to the game......and they did. This won't be possible with the new stadium. Unfortunately, HSG has, in a large part, walked away from the Hispanic customer. As much as I like the idea of having an SSS less then a mile from my house, I think this is a mistake. But it is what it is at this point. When the America ownership decides to get serious and begins investigating the Burn, they will realize that this situation is not what they are looking for and move on. If Chivas turns into a success, I would guess that they will start to reconsider the idea of starting a team from scratch and will look to the Houston area. That, in my opinion, would be a fantastic location for a team of Mexican origin.

BTW: This isn't really my first post, my computer crashed so I re-registered......I used to be known as akimmel.

14. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    This is good news and adds confirmation to other reports which have been circulating. MLS gets stronger when it diversifies its ownership (barring the occasional Horrorwitz).

Although it's on the ESPN website we should note that it's an AP story.

Galperin, you're much too negative. Mexico has a strong league and pays it's players pretty well. There's no reason why more US soccer players shouldn't seriously look at playing down there.

The rise of MLS and national teams' rivalry seems to have led to a bit of a "cold war" attitude between the soccer establishments (encompassing everything from the league leadership to the average fan) of the 2 countries. I think this affects both US players' willingness as well as maybe some Mexican clubs' willingness to sign American players.

Either that or we're just not producing players of Cle Kooiman's caliber anymore....

;)

15. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    we need a forum Just to discuss Chivas/Usa matters inside the MLS teams format.

will you support that?

16. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    one seriuos question I have not seen here:

what if they put together a Grp of latinos born in USA.... and the team real sucks in no time? Will he go out and hire anglos?

OFF COURSE, the guy is about winning too!

BTW, I do not think that he can put 20 new players with a 'hispanic flare' from the college and a-league recruits, worse if he just moves around latino ligas and get the best.....at least he needs 10 pros to move forward and run a decent team.

17. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i don't see any info , just you looking in your own crystal ball. lets keep to the facts, and not fantasy, if fantasy then please make it clear to everyone. If you have facts then please paste a link. thank you. Burn is operated by the Hunt group.

http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=1028

AEG - who own five MLS teams - also plan to sell off a many as three teams to new investor/operators to spread their financial load. Favourites to be sold first is San Jose, with Mexican team Club America already in talks with AEG.

18. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Femfa
    Ok folks, I'm putting this out there now - via the info at the end of this article.

Club America of the MFL is going to buy the Burn. It's the only MLS club with the fan base and stadium potential that I think they want.

Prophecy is a tricky business - but I was right about Timmy H. making Man U first team - and right about Germany winning it all in the WWC - so third time's a charm.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

19. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Soccerfan, you need to understand his post a little better. He wasn't saying there were any facts-- it was just his best guess.

Last time I checked, guessing on BigSoccer was still permitted.

20. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    seriuos QUESTION:

DID THEY MENTION CHIVAS uSA....during yesterday's draft?

will chivas USA participate on draft 2005 or they are allowed to put together a team now to get something on the way?