Chivas may buy the Galaxy & rent out HDC or pay AEG to play in LA.

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Kqql, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    So of all the other things this league needs a derby is the most important?

2. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That comment was half sarcastic. What do you mean by "just to satisfy a group of fans who will don't care about MLS anyway"? Are you assuming that San Diego doesn't care about MLS? The coverage it gets here is just as good as a city with a team, maybe even better than some (mostly the Union-Tribune, but the news has been showing clips of the ESPN2 games every weekend.)

3. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    He was talking about moving the Galaxy to San Diego so that Chivas could have LA all to itself. The people "who will don't care about MLS anyway" are the Chivas USA fans who will only watch Chivas and don't care about MLS because for the most part they have never supported the league. Not San Diego fans. I want a team in San Diego but not this Chivas travesty.

Galaxy fans should not be fcuked over just to satisfy Chivas.

Their fans are loyal and support the league.

This league needs to pay attention to the Latin Americans who DO support the Galaxy.

******** Chivas

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    De donde sacaste esta vaina?

Seriously now, where did you get this? When did I (or anybody else for that matter) say ANYTHING remotely similar? :eek:

If Chivas moves into The Cathedral, LA fans aren't going to get screwed. There will not be a mass exodus of Galaxy fans.

5. Harvest FC

Harvest FC New Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Napa, CA
    While I am still very skeptical about this information, I thought I would pass it along.

I was in a soccer shop in the Napa/Sonoma area. Got into a discussion with one of the employees there about MLS after asking them why they didn't carry any of their gear (Lack of demand, though he was a Galaxy fan).

He asked me if I knew who the new team was going to be. I mentioned the latest Chivas rumors that have been floating around here. He came back and said a Chivas rep that the owner knows said Chivas will be playing in San Diego next year and will be building a stadium. Will be call San Diego Chivas. The announcement will be at the MLS Cup.

Then he mentioned that he has a friend that will be on the team. The team won't be all Mexican or all Mexican-American. The current roster they are building, consists of 7 Latinos, 3 Anglos and 2 black (he wasn't sure of origin) players.

I told him this was all a little hard to believe, as I have read nothing, anywhere, of a final Chivas deal and last I heard Chivas did not want to be in San Diego. Plus, there is no way they are putting up a stadium in less than a year.

He also mentioned Club America will have a MLS team playing in Houston.

He seemed very sure of this info.

6. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The San Diego Union-Tribune said that Vergara dropped San Diego out of the picture and will NOT play there for whatever reasons. I'm taking it this guy doesn't get our paper. Here area couple of articles talking about it:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/soccer/20040401-9999-news_1s1soccer.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/soccer/20040414-9999-lz1s14socr2.html

7. gpbellamy

gpbellamy New Member

Re: Chivas Ticket prices

1. Chivas playing in HDC will help pay the stadium off faster.

But I wonder if they will keep the steep ticket prices. I'm pretty sure we pay much more in LA than anywhere else in the league for out seats.

8. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Re: Chivas Ticket prices

Give us a rundown of the prices at HDC so we can compare em.

9. crash2772

crash2772 New Member

Mar 18, 2001
    I wouldnt believe too much of anything Vergara says until an official announcement is made on the location. Houston seemed like a lock a year ago, suddenly it was gone from the lists, and now it is back on (despite rumors that Vergara had damaged his relationship with the Texans owner). Personally, I think a SD Chivas team and a Houston America team sound great... although somewhat of a pipe dream...

10. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's what's been said. I dunno. I really can't imagine Chicago getting two expansion teams in such a short time. Chicago's a great sports city, and will have their own stadium soon, but. . .

I think it's LA. Where in LA, I dunno. If it's HDC, I'll be less pleased. Sure, there's a lot of money for AEG, and everything. I just was hoping to see a different part of LA get a team, like Downtown (Coliseum) or Pasadena (Rose Bowl), or even the Valley.

12. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the American base of his pyramid scheme in Cicero, Ill.? This is why he still spouts Chicago as a location. But the fact that he keeps mentioning Chi-town brings me closer and closer to the point that if he says the sun rises in the east, I'm getting up early to make sure.

13. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a rare bit of poetry for these boards. . .

14. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Times version of the La Opinion Article

From today's LA Times
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jorge Vergara, the Mexican businessman who owns Chivas de Guadalajara and its American offshoot, Chivas USA, said that the latter club would be up and running by August and would be based either in Los Angeles or Chicago.

Vergara said he was in negotiations with Major League Soccer and the Anschutz Entertainment Group.

"If we play in L.A., it will be at the Home Depot Center," Vergara said, "and if we play in Chicago it will be at Soldier Field."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I guess. . .. yep, that's about 60-90 days!!

15. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Re: LA Times version of the La Opinion Article

It sounds like he is still trying to convince MLS, rather than decide between two places that are acceptable to MLS. Maybe he thinks they have to except his terms because they need expansion too badly. Perhaps his is just trying to get them to drop the expansion fee and Houston is really exceptable to him. Personally, I think they should tell him to forget it unless he puts his team in a new market. I think the concept would work fine in Houston or San Antonio. Mexican teams are obviously popular in Texas, so what is his problem? Vergara sounds like he is becoming more trouble than he is worth. I mean, really, Chicago Chivas makes no sense. I'd rather just add Rochester and try again next year.

16. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia

Ugh. Make that "accept" and "acceptable". My deepest apologies. :D

17. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia

So, his team is joining the league in August, just in time for the playoffs?
    ;)

18. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Next time just EDIT your post. There should be a scissors icon at the bottom of your post after you submit. I think it last for about 90 minutes...