Chivas may buy the Galaxy & rent out HDC or pay AEG to play in LA.

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by Kqql, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003

2. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, this rumour is definately gonna ignite a fire of hate from LA fans.

Chivas: dont move into LA, find your own territory moochers.

3. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    There is edit/Version 2.0 on
    the LA story now at ussoccer.com

Version 1.0 was.
    Update: Version 2.0 is

4. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Move the Galaxy to San Diego

Originally posted by greatscott

yeah, this rumour is definately gonna ignite a fire of hate from LA fans.

Chivas: dont move into LA, find your own territory moochers.

L.A has allways been Chivas Territory :)

5. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BAD, BAD.

L.A. can support two soccer clubs...MLS CANNOT

MLS should be steering Chivas away from L.A. and to San Diego or Houston. We need to be expanding the national footprint. Crowding cities with teams isn't going to do that.

6. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Chivas

Originally posted by Sempuukyaku

Crowding cities with teams isn't going to do that.

Having two teams in L.A is crowding !?!? Guadalajara where Chivas is from hosts five pro teams. Three teams in first division Chivas, Atlas and Tecos and two more teams in second division Tapatio and Bachilleres..

Now L.A has more than double the population than Guadalajara and has allready had two games going on at once. I remember Galaxy playing their season game in Pasadena while at the L.A Coliseum MFL teams played Pre Libertadores..

7. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Chivas

I agree with Styles on one thing - L.A. AND the MLS can do two teams. We've got the fan base, Gringo y Latino. But one thing I disagree on, Chivas is not the only MFL team around - all my Mexican friends support UNAM Pumas

I've posted this before - The Home Depot Center is cool and all, but its hell and gone for a huge chunk of Los Angeles. You put a team in the Coliseum, or at UCLA, and all of the sudden you have a RIVALRY TO END ALL RIVALRIES!!!!

Seriously, the rise of the MLS is not going to come by dropping teams in far-flung, diverse parts of the country (that's sooo NHL). Take the markets that can really support as many teams as possible (we could do four in Southern California) and totally saturate them. Look at the History of Baseball! New York used to have the Dodgers, the Yankees, and the Giants. Once Major League Baseball was established, then they started moving the teams out.

So, um, yeah. That's all I have to say.

The Galaxy will return. And the Heavens will quake with their fury at having 5 goals scored on them.

8. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA

completely irrelevant. This isn't Mexico. There's like 15 teams in London, but this isn't England. This is a huge country with a population nearing a third of a billion. Why expand to LA when there's at least half a dozen other suitable markets that won't cause a direct conflict of loyalty?

9. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    irrelevant?

then you point is mute, too many USians for futbol!

we need cities with futbol fans, not just 'population'.

kingston, jamaica is not the largest city out there, yet they have 4 teams! is not How many live there, is how many are going to support futbol.

Not the oval game or Beach ball!

10. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Chivas

It is in no way irrelevant. We're not just talking about accessing existing soccer fans, we're talking about developing attitudes towards Major League Soccer. You have a much better chance of developing rivalries, derbies, classicos and therefore great stories by packing certain areas.

Go down to Griffith Park in LA on a Sunday, and you will see hundreds of men in Club America, Pumas, Chivas, and Cruz Azul jersies, because they still feel Mexican and are loyal to Mexican teams. But what about their kids who were born here and are being raised here?

I'm sure it's the same in places like Houston, but having two teams in really big market can really drum up serious interest in big markets that may not have reached a saturation point. It shows that the MLS and the team owners really care about that area, and want to really give them something to see and enjoy.

There aren't many examples of intra-city rivalries in America. In baseball, all of the cities that have two teams are split by the "League" system. Same with Football. Only Basketball really has one, and the Clippers have always been minor league compared to the Lakers. Soccer could really make this theirs.

This only applies, though, if they are in different areas of LA. Two teams in the HDC will be a complete waste of time.

11. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    many hard core republicans, MLSers and conservatives always complained about the mexican teams playing in the USA... the result is twice as many on hand to see the games, I MEAN 2 TIMES THE AVERAGE OF AN MLS GAME.

THOSE rivalries are kind of transfer here with the new mexican Flare to the MLS...as the last poster say, "Griffith Park in LA on a Sunday, and you will see hundreds of men in Club America, Pumas, Chivas, and Cruz Azul jersies, because they still feel Mexican and are loyal to Mexican teams"

hundreds of them! I see them near the cotton Bowl every time one of them is here to collect dollars in preseason, the difference is that the DOLLARS are going to stay here.... an who knows, may be the mex vs mex team will suffer in the future, by having them here represented INSIDE mls.

12. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Re: Chivas

Originally posted by Sanguine

Why expand to LA when there's at least half a dozen other suitable markets that won't cause a direct conflict of loyalty?

Direct Conflict of Loyalty will create true Rivalries Not some lame ass San Josers vs Galacto Chokes Mikey Mouse rivalries. Have two teams in L.A and you will see what a real rivalry atmosphere is like.

13. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG should move the Galaxy to San Diego so Vergara can have his little way and play in Los Angeles. That would make a huge rivalry, as if the location isn't enough of one in the first place.

14. latino626heat

latino626heat Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pasadena Cali
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas ((Stay Out Of L.A. and MLS))

Is there a way to protest this expansion team, stop this from happening, cause I dont agree on this team coming to MLS at all, instead of getting back Miami Fusion, Tampa Bay Mutiny or paying attention from other cities that want an MLS clubs. MLS jus agree on bringin a team that nobody will care about. MLS should FOCUS on other cities, like for example instead of wasting their time with the chivas owner whatever his name is, they should of payed attention to other citys like Oklamhoma, or Houston, THIS IS MLS not the Mexican league. I read on article on Fox Sports.com and they talking about that MLS in a couple of years they will knockout NHL for the 4th spot of most poppular sports in U.S. behind NBA, NFL and MLB, now if MLS focus on bringing Mexican teams out here or associate with them then I dont see MLS going to be the top 4 in sports.
    One more thing to efernandez9
    Who cares if people wear Chivas, Tecos, Pumas, it doesnt matter, Mexicans get pist when USA kicks there ass over here, and they dont admit that U.S. is better then Mexico, jus look at the World Cup lol

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    MLS cannot support two soccer clubs?

16. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hehe...I meant that the other way around. LA can't support two, MLS can..

yeah.

*embarassed*

:eek:

17. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Chivas ((Stay Out Of L.A. and MLS))

Paging UCLACarlos, Mr. Carlos please pick up a white courtesy phone. . . . ;)

18. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was drawn to this thread because the title said "Chivas may buy Galaxy."

This sounds like a new development to me. I would really like hear what people say about this, rather than arguing over whether LA can support two teams.

19. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Doesn't really matter what we think, it's pretty obvious MLS is desperate for Chivas's money and slowly one by one giving into Mr V's requests everytime he threatens to pull his money away. Just get used to have an all Mexican team taking over in LA or Chicago.

20. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    What do republicans and conservatives have to do with it?

21. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And exactly what is your source for this information? Or are you just pulling it straight out of your ass?

The All-Mexican team? Please Explain. Are you complaining that Chivas Guadalajara, which boasts an all-Mexican side, will be coming into the MLS? Or that Chivas USA will be all Mexican?

22. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    talk about knee jerk reactions......Your whole reply was one big knee jerk reaction.

Anyways, it is a fact that MLS has said that Chivas USA will not be sharing HDC, and the Galaxy aren't for sale....and now all the sudden it's a possibility once Chivas laid low for awhile maybe pulled the money away. MLS's announcement to have 2 expansion teams looks like it is possibly falling through so now lets scramble to let Chivas do whatever they want.
    All I'm saying is that there is a possibility that MLS is desperate for Mr. V's money so they are now more willing to bend over backwards for him. I never claimed to have any sources, it's my theory if that's what you want to call it.

I don't care about mexican's "stealing our jobs" I never was planning on being a professional soccer player in the first place. I have a job.

So to some things up, if someone disagrees with having a Chivas USA they are "knee-jerk pain-in-the-asses", I'll just remember to be the biggest one of those I can be from now on, since you like to get all knee jerk on me.

23. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

This is not Guadalahara, Buenos Aires or London!

We need to spread this league not crowd into existing markets.

Part of the reason MLS ratings are so bad is that there are so few markets where the league has a presence we need to increase that.

******** Chivas!

24. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

So thats the plan.

Seed teams in areas where the sport is popular then as soon as the league takes off say ******** you to the fans in those areas and take away their teams?

Thats just super.

I don't want MLS tp treat their fans the way C-U-N-T-S like that dick in Oakland do.

Too bad you do.

25. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC

Thank you!

Why saturate markets when teams are struggling as it is?

Why make teams compete for resources?

Spread the league.

Don't keep it provincial.