Chivas LA or Chivas USA: Which is the Better Brand??

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by TheMasterAtCornerKicks, Sep 5, 2006.

1. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, ya know those Chivas USA fans really travel from all over the united state to pack the HDC. Even San Diego. HA!!

Now really, you think "USA" is the reason for such high sponsorship and not the parent club??

And putting "LA" in your name does nothing to reduce your national exposure- if anything, it helps. Just ask the LA Angels what it's done for them attendance wise, merchandising, and eveything else...

You're from Oakland, right?? Has "LA" ever prevented LA Laker fans from selling out the "Oakland" Coliseum??

Conversely, How many "Golden State" fans show up to Laker games in LA??

And don't even talk about when the Red Sox fans come to town...

2. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Lakers and Red Sox are generally great every year and have years of history of being the best or near the best. Golden State Warriors isn't anywhere near the top, ever. I highly doubt their attendance has anything to do with the city in their name.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :confused:

Who said they do?

But they do come out in droves when Chivas plays in Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Colorado, SLC and SJ (last season).

Why would you even ask that?

Haven't I spoken of the "brand" name? Is "USA" a brandname?

Categorically false in the targeted demographic.

A Tejano doesn't relate to "LA". But a Tejano can relate to the overall experience of being a Mexican-American. There's actually a very big rift btw Texas Chicanos and California Chicanos. Regionalizing the Chivas brand (Chivas LA) in effect limits the impact of the brandname.

The "USA" part is a concerted effort to nationalize the Chivas MLS brand.

What % difference would it make?

It's impossible to determine. But given that the club openly stated that they would seek to capture the "away game" audience, they branded themselves accordingly.

And are the Angels looking to corner the market on the Southern California diaspora throughout the US?

No.

Geez. Another irrelevant comparison.

1. No.

2. It makes zero difference anyway.

Relevance?
    Is there a NoCal diaspora in LA? A sizeable one?

Dude. 25 million Mexican Americans.

25 MILLION.

Stop trying to find examples that equate Chivas USA/LA to anything. You're merely showing your ignorance.
    Yeah.

It's called westward migration. It's been pretty significant in the US in the 2nd half of the 20th century on. The West is expanding population-wise due to migration and immigration.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    But their away attendance (pretty solid) out West stems from significant migrations west. To these fans of a NYC "diaspora" or a Boston/New England "diaspora" seek to reconnect w/ their "homeland" for a few hours.

W/ Chivas, the significant Mexican diaspora (25 million!!) is consuming Chivas USA in a highly complex manner.

1. Chivas = Mexico. On one level, Chivas USA is a way to "reconnect w/ the homeland" like in the Yankees and Boston examples above.

2. Chivas USA = Mexican-American. It's an attempt to see their image on the field... a team that mirrors their experience: Mexican in the US.

3. The Southwest USA used to be part of Mexico. In a way "Chivas USA" functions as an attempt to reclaim something that was part of their "homeland". By asserting the Mexican origin of the club (Chivas) it serves as an assertion of cultural and economic power in a domain that up until now the US Latino in general hasn't really participated and has felt excluded (justified or not; the sentiment remains).

4.The Southwest USA is the origin of the Aztec nation. "Aztlan" (southwest US) is an integral part of the Mexican identity. The Aztecs left this area and went searching for their holy place, which the gods would signal to them via an eagle perched on a cactus eating a snake.

I gotta go but this goes waaaay beyond the understanding of the thread starter.

5. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I'm just glad the good voters of this poll have showed a greater wisdom than you...

by over 60%...

6. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The label "USA" just rubs me the wrong way. I know it doesn't exactly translate, but it feels like when the Cowboys declared themselves "America's Team". I'm not saying the two cases are the same, because we all know that the Cowboys are much bigger in status than CD USA (maybe not CDG), but it just rubs me the wrong way. Chivas should be named for the city is in, LA. I know that they have a large fanbase, spanning the country, but the name is just bad and should be changed to Chivas LA or LA Chivas.

7. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know the feeling...the angry cringe i get ever time i heard the self-proclaimed 'Theatre of Dreams' makes me want to puke.

8. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    I voted for Chivas L.A.

I think that it would benefit the team if it had the name L.A. instead of USA. I totally understand and see that the USA brand is a nation wide thing but I think that Chivas Fans from all over the US would come out and support the team regardless if it said L.A. or USA. The problem comes localy, as we help other teams increase their attendance, Chivas attendance drops more and more at home. I am type of fan that if it doesnt say L.A. on the jersey i dont support it and the same could be said about the many or majority of fans that are from L.A.
    We have seen that many of the fans that support Chivas in Mexico are not or live in Guadalajara. So that just shows that the Chivas brand is strong and solid but to be quite honest many Chivas fan dont like the USA at the end.

Why adding the name L.A. to the Chivas Brand means so much

*Oustide of Mexico City and Guadalajara, L.A. is the third largest city that many Mexicans call home. That means that we have more Mexican people than in some cities in Mexico!:eek:
    *Our mayor became the first Mexican American to be in City Hall.
    *The MFL, The Mexican National team consider L.A. its second home.
    We (Chicanos and Mexicans) have built our own history in making sure that when an individual in Mexico decides to visit or migrate to the U.S. they think of L.A. first.

One great example of what Chivas can become is what happened to the Dodgers. When Fernando Vanezuela came to play for the Dodgers many Mexicans and Mexican American put on and supported Dodger blue as if it was part of Mexican culture. you knew that by putting on an L.A. hat or jersey you were representing your pride for L.A. but pride of being Mexican American and having a Mexican player be on our side. So yes having L.A. instead of USA does mean allot and as a city with so many Mexicans and latinos we deserve to have a team called "Club Deportivo L.A." This is where the new generation of Chivas fans begins. Only in L.A.:cool:

9. UlyssesGWashington

DC United
    Sep 9, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in the Piazza San Marco in Venice, and I saw a seagull eating a pigeon. Nothing holy happened, though.

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :rolleyes:

One thing is wisdom based on facts and/or a comprehension of the targeted demo.

Another thing is ignorance.

Opine all you want. Just try not to be stupid.

And if you want to "scoreboard" me... The team name is Chivas USA, not Chivas LA. :rolleyes:

11. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Well KC kept the awful "Wiz" thing longer than that and they still changed it...

It just takes some teams longer than others to figure out these things...

So hopefully, with the help of polls and threads like these, they can wise up, change the name, and stop getting laughed at like your arguments are getting laughed at in this thread..

12. BeantownFootball

Aug 1, 2006
    I said Chivas LA, because I think that sounds better. However, it shouldve been CD Los Angeles and nicknamed Chivas. I understand the Chivas USA thing tho, cuz they wanted it to be Hispanic-America's team. However, they should've realized that Hispanic America is not all Chivas fans.

13. The Fox

The Fox Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. javier66

javier66 Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Mission, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vergara wanted to tap into the Mexican market in the US, regardless if the team were based in LA, San Diego or Texas. So the answer to the Question "Which is the better brand", it would have to be Chivas USA.

If Vergara wanted to tap just into the LA market I would assume he would have called the team, Club Deportivo Los Angeles (CDLA) and the nickname would be "Chivas Angelinas":D

15. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like CD Chivas de LA for one reason - it removes the one issue that obscures what is turning out to be a great rivalry.

I know London has 100 teams, and none of them are called "London", but having two teams call themselves "Los Angeles" is a cool thing. Which team is the best? Who can really call themselves the best team in the city?

Having one team call themselves "LA" and the other "USA" makes it seem like they are shooting for different things, which, really, they aren't. Chivas USA may say that they want to be the Latino team for the whole US, but that's simply not ever going to be the reality - IF, for no other reason, they become wildly successful, you know Club America, et al, will jump in.

16. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA Chivas.....
    however you want to do it....

CD LA
    CD LA Chivas
    LA Chivas
    Chivas de LA

17. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've always thought that the name should have been CD Chivas de California.

18. el cucharon

el cucharon Member

Mar 17, 2003
    friendship village
    CD Chivas De Aztlan would be good.
    It could be like raider nation

19. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anaheim Chivas of Los Angeles?

20. MDSoccerDude

MDSoccerDude Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Owings Mills, MD
    Why would you ask for opinions if all you are going to do is say that what people think is dumb logic?

By the way, I happen to agree that it should be CD LA or Chivas LA, either one is better than Chivas USA.

21. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    Chivas USA sounds absolutely horrible and it isnt getting any better with time.

Chivas LA or any of its variations would be much better.

22. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Secret Option #3:
    The Los Angeles Chivas of Anaheim

23. MDSoccerDude

MDSoccerDude Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Owings Mills, MD
    WOW! You have a lot to say, but did you actually read the poll question. It's not what makes more economic sense to Chivas, it's what brand do you prefer.

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Chivas USA is a fine name.

25. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Best joke in show...
    [​IMG]