Chivas LA or Chivas USA: Which is the Better Brand??

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by TheMasterAtCornerKicks, Sep 5, 2006.

1. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    It would appear to me that Chivas is missing a golden marketing opportunity by continuing to drag around the generic and rather kiddish "USA" moniker after already being located in the nation's number #2 media market. Chivas LA seems like a more marketable brand IMO and would probably generate more local fan support. I know me, personally, I'd much rather have an Chivas LA T-shirt than the "USA" bit and I don't even live in LA.

Chivas de Guadalajara in Mexico.

Chivas LA in the USA. It's a better brand.

But, if you like "USA" over LA for some reason, speak your peace here...

2. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the team should have been named Club Deportivo Los Angeles, with Chivas USA being the nickname. The team that plays in Guadalajara is officially called CD Guadalajara.

The main reason, besides being kind of cheesy, is I like having the city/state in the team name. I guess I'm an American like that.

At this point it doesn't matter, I'm used to it, and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I understand the reasons why they named it 'USA', and I'm not going to argue them...

On your poll, I voted Chivas LA.

3. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    That still dosen't mean we can't let them know there's a better alternative that would probably put some more money in thier pockets...

BTW, thanx for voting...

4. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I see 2 people so far voted "USA"...

What are you guys reasons for this??

5. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    I put USA. The hope was that Chivas would be a national brand and appeal to all the Chivas fans in the US. Hence the USA and not any other specific geographical tag.

I doubt they are going to restrict themselves by renaming the team LA.

6. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, in fact I don't like how they've named the team Chivas officially, it should just be Club Deportivo de Los Angeles. Chivas fans will know the stripes without having to be told who it is.

7. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, very good idea.

How about Yankees USA??

I'm sure there would be much more Yankee fans if they dropped the "NY"... While we're at it, how about:

Lakers USA
    Celtics USA
    Packers USA (I'm sure GB fans would have NO problem with that)
    Cowboys USA
    Dolphins USA

I think all these teams would have much, much more fans according to your
    logic.

And we have all seen how much putting "Guadalajara" on the big club has REALLY hurt thier popularity around the rest of Mexico..

Go Chivas LA...

USA is dumb-ditty-dumb...

8. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    For some reason Chivas USA doesn't bother me that much.

But put to a vote, I would cast mine for LA.

Suprised if you get many passionate responses on this one though, who cares.

9. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's silly - like Austria Vienna! :cool:

I don't have any problem with Chivas USA. It's not like it's to distinguish Chivas USA from Chivas Boston or Chivas Dallas!

10. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Second that motion. :D

11. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I think they stick with USA also. While it DOES foster the whole US-Mexico rivalry, etc., it could also be viewed as uniting the two countries.

12. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    God I hope not.

Why would we ever want to do that....

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a sister club. So give'em a sister's brand. Chivitas is used in our Hinchada Tejana. IMHO they are quite simply Las Hermanas. ;)

Chivas is proud but USA on the end rings of New York/New Jersey. Marketing had their say and we got a Mexican man's icon attached to USA while speaking of passion for association football. Only in Soccer Mom culture does that shi!t make it past the first boardroom. Vergara had to pick the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue! Jeez, it's either one passion or the other tio. For us Hinchas in Houston, Chivas USA is an instant reason to laugh and get fired up at the same time. If MLS marketing was looking for that angle then they appear to have hit the mark.

LA Chivas should have been the wiser option. Derby Day in SoCal then is simply LAC vs. LAG. If the Hinchas in away cities come out for the kit, that would most likely happen with or without a Chivas "USA" tag.

14. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wow. That's just... stupid. Just stupid logic.

Voila. The real reason why this thread was created.

So... how long were you sitting there winding up... waiting for somebody to throw you that apparent softball? :rolleyes:

What's really dumb-ditty-dumb-dumb is to equate a "Yankees USA" to Chivas USA.

Or to equate Chivas USA to Chivas Guadalajara as far as their significance, their mythology, their target demographics and the role that migration plays in their respective popularity. That goes for the Yankees as well.

The Yankees are popular b/c of their history, b/c of their location in the largest media market in the country (which not so coincidentally happens to be the most powerful in the world) and b/c of westward expansion and southern migration. The fact is that b/c they've won so many titles and have a history of transcendent players (the Babe, Mickey Mantle, Joltin' Joe Dimaggio, Reggie Jackson/Mr. October to name just a few) who have earned a place in the national psyche.

Chivas Guadalajara is popular throughout Mexico b/c they are the incarnation of the national team in a domestic league. They represent... get this... Mexico. But they started out as CD Guadalajara and stood for the right for Mexicans to play soccer in an era when Europeans living in Mexico wouldn't let Mexicans on their teams.

Chivas USA incarnates the Mexican American, and not just angelinos but the 25 million currently residing here. That was their goal from the beginning, and you know? They're not doing too bad. There's a measurable "Chivas Effect" for the 2nd straight year at their away games.

So while Chivas GDL represents "Mexico", Chivas USA represents "Mexico" in... get this... the US of A.

15. The Fox

The Fox Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Motion carried! Besides the club will never have to change their name if they move to another geographic part of the country; there will never be the gnashing of teeth that occurs in situations like the NY/NJ MetroStars, etc. It's a thing of beauty in it's simplicity. ;)

16. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Originally I would have said LA, i think that would be classier and would be aesthetically more appealing.

However, Chivas is trying to tap into their US based fans around the country, not just in LA. By branding the team Chivas LA, they are essentially reducing their appeal to those outside of CA.

Furthermore, why would a Chivas DG fan follow an LA team that they don't connect with from afar rather than just the original in Guadalajara? Chivas USA gives them ownership and a reason to turn up to road games if they're not near Carson.

I think USA was the right decision from a business perspective, whether I think it sounds cheesey or not. (which I do).

17. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    It's great to see LA people so willing and waiting to have their team move so they can justify having a rinky-dink brand like CUSA over a much more marketable and geographically accurate CLA.

Being associated with Los Angeles is a benefit that would increase the value of the brand, not dimish it. And it would show a commitment to Los Angeles.

The "USA" moniker is the only thing that's really messing things up...

18. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Oh, I'm sorry. Your from Florida. No wonder.

I Wasn't trying to take another MLS team from you...

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a writer I like this question. Be it a marketing question or just as the proper substance behind the veil. Chivas LA - or Club Deportivo de Los Angeles (de los Estados Unidos) - or something stupid like that - does catch the rap and roll a little bit more it seems to me - a little more pure to the passionate fan - not to mention it catches the geography. Whether it makes a difference or not in the bottom line, I'm no expert.

The other thing that is "the only thing messing it up" is they haven't won any championships yet, or done anything singularly spectacular. I know it's only their second season, but the fact remains.

20. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Thank you. The "USA" thing brings zero value were "LA" would get more non-hispanics locals into them as well...

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas USA is a stupid name. Stupid.

Los Angeles Chivas would be fine.

22. The Fox

The Fox Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a joke son! But it is the unfortunate part of the sports business. Teams only commit to a locality for as long as they can squeeze the taxpayers for corporate welfare and then move on. The only way a team "commits" to a locality is if they actually pay for their own stadia and set firm roots in the area. As long as they can raid government coffers and play cities against one another without investing their own money; any place they hang their hat is home. You only have to look as far as the San Jose Earthquakes.

BTW you had a freudian slip referring to me as "LA people". You automatically assumed because I support Chivas USA that live in L.A. I'm in FLA. So you see that the marketing of the club nationally is paying dividends.

23. TheMasterAtCornerKicks

Jan 20, 2000
    Oakland, CA

That's right. It's all about imagery. Mythology. There's nothing illegitimate sounding about "Chivas LA", where with "Chivas USA" it instantly conjures up minor league images...

I could see Chivas LA one day maybe being bigger than CD Guadalajara, where Chivas USA will always sound like a spin-off...

24. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Link?

Link?

25. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    :confused:

What it conjures up in the demographic in question is the following:

Chivas = Mexican

USA = American

Chivas USA = Mexican-American

It's pretty simple.
    :eek:

Guadalajara: a soccer mad city of 5 million residents, the vast majority of them chivas fans w/ a few Atlas fans and Tecos fans.

Chivas GDL also resonates w/ a nation of 90 million ppl fanatical about national pride.

MFL tv contracts dwarf MLS and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

LA: a city w/ 5.5 million Mexicans from all over Mexico, including the Pacific coast and especially Northern Mexico, where beisbol is king. There are fans from every first division and second division team living there.

According to Chivas, LA is Chivas territory by an admittedly small margin constantly assaulted by Club America.

There simply aren't enough Chivas fans in LA to surpass Chivas GDL.

USA: a nation w/ 25 million Americans of Mexicans descent or Mexican nationals.

You do the freakin' math.

Chivas USA: 25 million demographic
    Chivas LA: 1 million+ demo

And who gives a crap what you think???

Chivas USA practically doubles the standard for sponsorship. That's free money. The beat out LAG for the second year in a row in that department.

They outsell everybody in merchandise.

They have a paid cable deal.

Dude... THAT's what matters most. :rolleyes: