Chivas good for Mexico. Bad for U.S.

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by delarge101, Oct 22, 2003.

1. delarge101

delarge101 Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look. The bottom line is this: THE COMMISSIONER'S OFFICE MAKES THE RULES. THEY SHOULDN'T BEND TO THE RULES THEY MAKE.

Vergara can't just wave his pocket book around and say "hey America! My $h!t don't stink because I have money"

Well, actually that isn't what he said or will say but he DEFINITELY is trying to be a meverick in MLS. You think Al Davis and mark Cuban are good for the NFL and NBA? Sure, they are. But they are NOT good for football and basketball. They pump more money into a league that is already established, diluting a talent pool that is already stretched a little thin and wreaking havoc on the commissioner's office. It works in those leagues because they are already ESTABLISHED.

Believe it or not faithful Vergara supporters, MLS in still ESTABLISHING itself. Until we have all our teams playing in soccer specific stadiums, we haven't fully succeeded and until we win a World Cup we're still THAT developing league.

Is Vergara really going to HELP American soccer which, correct me if I'm wrong -- is MLS's super goal? NO! It won't help if he's using more foreign players than the league minimum and I'm sorry here -- mandating Spanish be the only language spoken on the field. Hello! Bruce Arena speaks ENGLISH to his national team! And so does our only true prodigy FREDDY ADU.

Vergara HAS to conform to OUR guidelines. LET HIM IN only if he does so! I don't understand people who want to ALLOW him to bend the rules. They are RULES. You shouldn't bend them. That's all I'm saying and trying to tell Vergara -- "Follow our rules if you want access to our soccer." After all, who's soccer are we trying to help?

2. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    By the way if Vergara gets his way, Freddy ADU will not be welcome to play for Chivas USA. He's not the right race or doesn't speak the right language for Senor Vergara.

It's time for Mr.Garber to step up in front of the National media and once for all either deny or confirm whether MLS will have a Segregated Franchise/Team in MLS.
    By the way Racism doesn't get anyone anywhere,

Chivas sucks in the MFL league too, since he doesn't hire foreign players in Mexico.

3. vic_0002

vic_0002 New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I wonder what is taking Garber so long to address this, so far MLS has assured some media people but that's it.

It really looks like Vergara and his people don't understand what they are aksing for here... It's perfectly ok to say "Mexicans only" in Mexico because signing foreign players is just a choice and a team can choose not to sign any. The only issue there is between Mexican and foreigner so it's simple.

But here, Mexican-american or any other hispanic background are just part of the American population, not all of it... "Mexican only" becomes an ethnic and possibly racial issue here, under much different parameters than in Mexico. So having a policy of mexican or mostly mexican players is discriminatory and equal access opportunities for all kinds of americans is gone.

4. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Well, there's at least one simple reason.

You don't talk about on-going negotiations. You just don't. They may have signed an agreement not to talk about it.

Vergara, however, feels that it's to his benefit to talk. Fair enough. I sincerely doubt either side's activity represents anything other than a negotiating strategy.

5. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    There was a reason that segregation lasted so long in the USA, people didn't have the guts to make the right moral decision, because it would have hurt their wallets.

Moreover, MLS could be desperate for $$$$$, and will bend over backwards for their investor aka Jorge Vergara.

6. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    So why does de facto segregation still exist today?

7. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    WOW, I didn't know a demand for segregation could be used as bargaining tool in the USA.

8. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Because, people get away with it.

By the way, could you imagine if MAN U came to open shop in the USA, and asked for a all white team.

LOL..........they would never be allowed to do business in the USA.

9. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    WOW-- that's completely irrelevant to the point as to why Garber isn't speaking about on-going negotiations.

But yeah, a demand for segregation could be used. Have you been involved in many negotiations? You can ask for anything. Even ridiculous decoy demands.

If you buy into them despite your better instincts, you'll just feel foolish.

10. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Yeah, because people like you don't know when to take race into account to correct it.

Great job.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can somebody tell me why people put so much more stock into what Vergara's lackey (Sisniega) says to some Spanish-language fishwrap and get so wound-up about it, and yet, when an MLS spokesman (Trey Fitz-Gerald) comes out and says unequivicably that the San Diego Goats will be playing under the same rules as every other team, he's pretty much ignored?

It boggles my mind. It's almost like they so much want to believe the worst, that they'll ignore anything that contradicts that, even when it would assuage their fears.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that some people are dead-set on giving themselves coronaries.

12. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Off the top of my head...
    1) people's tendency for knee-jerk reactions
    2) lack of patience
    3) embracing sensationalism is fun
    4) something to bitch about

13. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia

DING DING DING !!!!

14. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    WOW I didn't know SF Chronicle and San Jose Mercury news were some spainish fishwraps.

His statements were made in SAN JOSE CA. I think that's still in the USA.

15. Mmmm... you still have to explain why USA Chivas is good for Mexico.

16. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha, I'd like to see that actually. That would probably draw national attention since it's 'white-people' doing it. Sort of like that incident in Cali where that girl wanted to start a cauccasian (sp?) club at school and everyone got all pissy and called her racist.

17. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Are you determined to hyperventilate?

I believe Sisniega made those comments to Spanish-language media. Someone translated them.

Also, please note that the quote says Spanish would be the main language "on the team". From that, you've somehow managed to convince yourself that, despite the plain meanings of "on the team" and "main language", every hotdog stand in the stadium is going to be Spanish-only.

18. delarge101

delarge101 Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good for Mexico?

I don't know if it'll be good for Mexico.... but it sure won't be good for the U.S.

Mexico already has a Chivas. And by the way, are we REALLY going to call this team Chivas USA? I don't even know anything in the USA that is a "Chivas" or is "Chivas" in and of itself.

Actually, do I really HAVE to try and find a reason why Chivas USA will be good for Mexico? Vergara wants to come here doesn't he? From where I come from, that's a conflict of interests.

19. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: good for Mexico?

Because he comes from Mexico and wants to pay an expansion fee and pay league losses of over $1m/year in order to come into our league, he has a conflict of interests?

Exactly what interests are in conflict?

20. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    No he said it to the US English media too (SF Chronicle and SJ mercury news too) when Chivas played Vs San Jose, in San Jose CA.

21. Re: good for Mexico?

Well. the title of this thread is "Chivas good for mexico. Bad for U.S.".

22. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Who the Eff cares and what the Eff does it matter?

It's still coming from Sisniega, who is at best the second in command at CD Guadalajara and whose likely involvement in negotiations between MLS and Vergara is somewhere between zero and nil.

If one nutty guy you've never heard of out of 100 is screaming "Danger, Danger!" while the other 99 with names and reputations you know say there's nothing to worry about, why do you automatically shift your trust to the one guy?

This isn't the freaking X-Files. It's professional sports.

23. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this isn't the freaking x-files...

hah, i love it hala...

24. Fonsos

Fonsos Member

Sep 21, 2000
    Chicago
    One because their both lackeys, so it's like an actual double negative. Weird Sh.. but seriously it's of concern based on the way the MLS operates. Thinking Alice in Wonderland with Talking cards and tea cups. Example and this is a recent one. The league boasts on its website fines and their amounts to both the KC Wizards and Evan Whitfield (player for the Chgo) but do not make public, evenly remotely player salaries. You can't have it both ways and this league seems to bend its own rules to accommodate others within the league. It's why I get concerned becuase who in the hell knows what's actually going in this damn league,other than an improvement in the quality of soccer. I'll wait to see what happens and if this happens the way that the rumour mill has (usually doesn't but you never know) then I'm done with the entire damn league. I can't support that type of hypocrisy.

It boggles my mind. It's almost like they so much want to believe the worst, that they'll ignore anything that contradicts that, even when it would assuage their fears.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that some people are dead-set on giving themselves coronaries. [/B][/QUOTE]

25. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia

I supose that you are a big fan of soccer (and your team)

I don't care what happens here, i will support MY team and MY league until their or my end.....