Chinook helicopter downed in Iraq; at least 13 dead

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I have not heard from them directly just through emails forwarded by my Aunts. More than anything they have bitched about little things which I guess is normal. They are from Wisconsin and cannot stand the heat so they complain about that alot.

Neither has given real high-minded assesment of the situation and to be honest I don't have the heart to push them on it. I have just told my Aunt to tell them that I support them and I am praying for them.

I have a third cousin who is a blackhawk heli pilot (west point grad) stationed in Korea. He's from Southern Cali and all he does is bitch about the cold, damp winters. Kind of ironic huh?

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The missile does not emit any radar at all. Your best bet is to see it visually. The only thing that can be detected is the heat from the rocket motor. However, the rocket motor very quickly burns out - you need something sensitive enough to detect the heat of the missile body itself. There is research being conducted in this area. The Navy is working on some nifty systems, but there isn't a whole lot of public info yet.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The threat is far less against such transports. Engines of most civilian aircraft and many military transports are high-bypass, meaning they are a lot cooler and more difficult for the missile to track. Also, such aircraft are supposed to be able to successfully complete take-off even after an engine shuts down. The small warheads of these missiles are much more dangerous to helicopters and Harriers.

4. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I found from janes that the missile does not have a radar proximity fuse. This makes the missile much less effective.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Huh?????

I wrote this:

In what way did I attack anyone? This is a terrible waste of life, and there's none of this that makes sense to me. View that as an attack if you wish, but that's not what I was doing.

6. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    more follies

ML, don't you know that if you don't support the policies of Dubya, then you are attacking him?

----------------------------------------------------------

http://rasa.iht.com/articles/114153.html
    http://www.iiss.org/confPress-more.php?confID=448
    The terrible irony is growing worse as evidence mounts that unguarded munitions may have been the cause of the Chinook shoot down. http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1076441,00.html

But I thought the ostensible reasoning for justifying preemptive action was based on our conclusion Saddam’s unconventional weapons and association w/ terrorist groups represented a clear & imminent threat to American interest. One of the 1st goals after affecting regime chg, would naturally have been securing these dangerous caches.

I guess keeping radiological materials off the black market and out of the hands of terrorist was never a concern of the neocons after all.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think I can relate more to that last guy. When I was drafted at a young age I was sent to Rio Gallegos, in the South of Argentina, and I froze my ass. We had to be up at 4:00AM for guard duty and it was like 30 below. The winds made the Santa Ana feel like a light breeze. And to make matters worse, my government decided to pick a fight with Great Britain.

Thankfully I was not actually involved in battle. I think if I had to face a Ghurka one on one, I would not be here today at Big Soccer to bust everyone's balls. But I guess I stray from the topic. Good luck to all the soldiers in Iraq, and all over the world.

8. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Wait you were involved in the Falklands war?....err Malvinas?

9. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hands where we can see 'em, manny ...

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was drafted, (like most boys born in 1964 in Argentina), but fortunately my unit was held in reserve in Rio Gallegos. I never made it to the Malvinas.