China's Spanish tour [R]

Discussion in 'China' started by xfactor857, Dec 26, 2005.

1. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002

2. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    There are definitely some problems with CSL and they've been working on them. I agree with much of what you and greenlion said. Implementing a reserve league this coming year is a MAJOR improvement and will be for the better.

Some of your ideas were good and possible, others are good but impossible. Quality of pitches isn't a major issue in my opinion. Even in the top leagues, some are good, some are bad. The only one that I thought was really terrible this year was in Anshan. Refereeing is obviously a big issue and does need to improve, it doesn't just need more pay, but more training and truly having a good ref in China is important.

About foreigners, its a constant mistaken assumption, which is foreigners = better quality of play. Its simply not true. The CSL isn't bringing in first class talent and never will, just like the J-League, MLS, et al aren't going to be able to. They can find fringe players here and there, but the problem is that we have a long way to go because if a player is going to consider Asia, the J-League is probably more attractive than CSL. I don't want foreigners just to have foreigners and I think its best to give the Chinese players a chance, at least for the time being and until the league develops more.

I know that Chengdu and Tianjin both built sss which opened in 2004. I think Hongkou is also considered an sss, not sure. I don't think the stadia is a problem at all. Fans know what to expect and work around it. A lot of the stadiums are older and need changes, but teams don't own them and so its hard. We joke about the crap stadiums on here, but most of us have attended games outside of China, whereas the typical fan at a CSL game hasn't. I honestly don't think things are that bad, in fact all things considered, I think atmosphere and experience at a CSL game is far better than MLS games.

I agree that marketing, merchandising, all these things need to be taken into consideration. The problem is that outside of Beijing and Shanghai, real merchandising doesn't make much sense. Not many people are going to shell out the money for an official jersey when it costs RMB 600-800. Even in Shanghai, 95% of the Shenhua jerseys you see people wearing are the supporters shirts which sell for around RMB 200 or so. However, the point about marketing is true, more money needs to be spent on ads and more excitement needs to be built up, the league needs to be promoted better and it SHOULD be considering many of the companies owning teams are big businesses who are very aware of advertising and its importance.

At the end of the day, I worry that there is this 800 lb gorilla that nobody is talking about and that nobody wants to throw out there. If you play connect the dots, in reality the CFA is controlled by the government and this shapes how decisions are made concerning different issues. How much does this effect the game? How much does this limit what the CFA, the CSL, and the individual teams are able to do?

3. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    this spanish tour proved one thing, we suck

goal differential was 7-1. On top of that, the teams aren't even playing seriously because it was a friendly. This sucks

i am not very optimistic about world cup 2010 in South Africa as well as this upcoming Asian Cup.

We are going to suck in Asian Cup for several reason.
    1. We just suck, bottem line

2. Iran, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan will have gained a lot of experiences playing against superior teams during World Cup 2006. China on the other hand, full of crappy players that lose friendlies against 2nd tier teams and gaining experiences for playing in the CSL only.

4. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    I didn't say kick Shao out of the NT, I just said Chen Tao and Lu Lin are better players than him and should be given more PT.

I drool every time I see the new stadia in J and K. :D

I wouldn't mind that if the quality of football is good.

5. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000

6. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

7. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    whoa...you don't think quality of pitches dramatically affects quality of football?

Most of the pitches in EPL and Bundesliga are fantastic, like playing on a carpet. Anyone who has played the game knows how pitch conditions can affect his game. I just think we should make an effort in raising the quality of the pitches in the Super League at least.

Yes of course training is important. And like Greenlion said we should make them pro. Why not shell out a few more bucks to make them fulltime and more dedicated to their jobs?

I tend to disagree. Guys like Saul Martinez and Jelic are head and shoulders better than most of the domestic players. They're not first class talents but they make their respective teams better.

Of course all top players would consider the top Euro leagues first because they're the most pretigious and pay the most money. But if you shell out enough money somebody is bound to come, as J-league had demonstrated. They had guys like Amoroso and Mboma, not to mention big name (though over-the-hill) players like Lineker, Ramon Diaz, Jorginho, and Bebeto.

As the CSL develops we will have more power to attract top talents around the world. However, I agree that for the forseeable future J-League does have a clear edge when it comes to attracting foreign players.

The stadia aren't that bad, but there is certainly a lot of room for improvement. As more SSS are built the situation will become better that's for sure.

Agreed. I don't think merchandising is viable until the league is more mature. Right now it certainly doesn't make much sense.

It really disturbs me how the government needs to stick its foot in everything, even in such benign things as football. The CFA should be run independent of the government and be run by people who knows and care about football, instead of some corrupt, heavy-handed bureaucratic officials who sees football as a gold mine and pockets the cash. This would be best for football in China but as this is China almost everything is controlled by the government so I doubt it will change in the forseeable future.

8. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000

9. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    just saw on sinosoc about the lineup moves for the game against Santander, crazy. I wonder if Li Yi went out with an injury?

China: Li Leilei; Zheng Zhi, Ji Mingyi (Tan Wangsong 86') Zhang Yaokun, Cao Yang; Zhao Junzhe, Wang Dong (Zhao Xuri 56') Sun Ji (Cui Peng 46') Gao Lin (Wang Ke 65'), Shi Jun (Mao Jianqing 58'); Li Yi (Quan Lei 29'/Lu Lin 74')

10. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    For the greater good of Chinese soccer, I hope he did. But then again Zhu may start him regardless if he's injured, just to piss Dong off.

11. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

12. football-dave

football-dave New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Japan
    Man I want to see a strong China NT. What went wrong? I watched them in AC2004 and they did ok. And in WCQ they were still in form.

13. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    no no no ~ we sucked~ hopes every asian country take us as a piece of Cake~ We sucked ~ especially in 2004, played 23 matches and only lost two of them~ But~ the most important two!

14. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    What is this about making Chinese referees professional? Don't European referees have other jobs too, like dentistry or accounting?

15. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Finally, Zhu goes to visit Dong. Tranlation tool

16. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Some are, some aren't. German referee, Dr Franz Xaver Wack, is a dentist.

Others, like Florian Mayer, are full-time refs and all they do is ref.