China v. Australia [R]

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by nsa, Sep 25, 2003.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution; Boston Breakers
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steel Roses and Matildas making me stay up late again.

2. Binchy

Binchy Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Choctaw territory
    GO AUSSIE!!!

Joey Peters will score two goals.

3. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    I'm trying to overdose on women's football today. Let's get this game started.

I assume China is heavily favored???

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    I think I have them favored by 7. In fact China will, probably, get more goals than Australia will have shots.

5. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    How are the Aussies doing so far? Strange that there is no thread at the WUSA boards.

6. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    The Aussie's are able to string a couple of passes together, but they're turning the ball over too often. China is looking dangerous on the attack...

7. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!

8. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Goal !!!! Against the run of play. Nice pass on the counterattack sets up a nice goal...

9. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    A counter attack GOAL for Australia.

Who'ed a thunk it!

10. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    The Matilda's were having all kinds of problems building-up for an attack. So, use the counter-attack instead.

32:00
    Oh my gosh, China should've scored on that cross...

11. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Ouch !!! Salisbury sacrifices her body while clearing Sun Wen's half-chance off the line. It looks like Salisbury is seeing stars...

12. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    There is no way that the Aussie's will be able to sit on this lead and play bunker-and-counter. China is going to score at some point, they are just getting too many chances.

Somehow, some way, the Matildas must find a way to get their offense going. At times, the Chinese defense looked shaky. The Aussie's need to find a way to put some pressure on...

13. Davem

Davem New Member

Dec 1, 2000
    South Jersey
    Just brilliant. I've been using a 2 hour tape for the highlights and the halftime show. So I had it in the vcr because I was talking to somebody and I thought "Well, at least when this commercial break is through, they will give me a minute or so to switch the tapes in case the game is actually back." No, the idiots mis-time so I'm rushing to get the game tape in and China scores just as I push record. Do they understand how each minute is important in soccer unlike other sports? It's just so stupid.

14. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    That stinks. Has ESPN ever missed a kickoff after halftime in the other football or the opening pitch in an inning? I don't think so.

15. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Ummm, yes. Its pretty common to miss the first pitch of an inning. In football and MLS, they use an official to hold up the game until TV comes back from the commercials...

Its only a matter of time before China gets their second goal...

Corner Kicks:
    China 11 - 0 Australia

16. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Okay. Yeah, I remember the 1st pitch of an inning. But never the second half kickoff for a football match and what was worse was that they didn't the sponsors stuff. I mean they could have gone directly from a commercial to the kickoff. I've seen that before but not on ESPN. Hockey, I understand. But never the tip-off in basketball. Or, at least, I've never seen it happen.

17. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    For those who can watch the match, is China having finishing problems? What gives? They have dominated the second half, at least statistically.

18. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought China's keeper blew the play where Australia scored. The Chinese defender had pulled nearly level with the Australian forward, and I don't think Australia would have scored if the keeper hadn't come off her line.

19. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    They just had some bad problems. Not finishing the best. But there were some good deflections from the Australian defense though.

20. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    That's probably true. She should not have come out but what a sweet shot anyway.

21. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    I'm a little surprised that Australia held on for the draw. It sure is going to make that China -v- Russia match interesting...

I don't think China was having "finishing problems." They took a number of good chances well. I think Tony DiCicco put it well when he said that China was attacking down the flanks and making dangerous crosses. However, China was not able to attack up-the-middle.

22. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Yeah, that's it. A lot of crosses. But few chances up the middle.

23. vivy09

vivy09 New Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    IM HERE!! lol

too late i know i had uni :(
    but i was so nervous about the game!!

GO AUSSIE!!!!!!!!!

IM SO PROUD OF THEM!!!!!!!!

24. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    despite being dominated for most of the game, i really found myself rooting for the aussies. they weathered the storm w/ lots of heart, and have shown a huge technical improvement from '99. i'd love to see them move on, but it seems a long shot.

25. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    so what's w/ the news coverage down under? looking at the smh site and there's just a little piddling ap piece on the wwc!