China Thread III (Tibet, Olympics, Myanmar, More)

Discussion in 'International News' started by Ismitje, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

You'd be surprised, Shaster, the Germans have very long memory too. Some say they did all the stupid shit before the Olympics to get back at China for something happened ages ago when China drove the Huns Westward into Europe. :D

2. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

May I ask what is the source of your number, Shaster?

I got the 100km figure from here,
    http://finance1.jrj.com.cn/news/2008-07-11/000003826686.html
    此前,王传福表示,当今世界掌握双模技术的只有通用、丰田和比亚迪三家企业,但通用、丰田的电动汽车一次充电只能行驶25公里,而比亚迪DM电动汽车却能行驶100公里,同时比亚迪DM汽车还突破了反复充电、家用插座充电两大技术难关,使电动汽车在使用上更为方便。

3. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    This is not the main product. You should check their websiet at bydauto.com.

4. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    You should check the forum of all Chinese students in Germany. They basically consider Germany the country and the people, pretty much Nazis. They are trying to get their PhD and Master degrees and head back home.

Even though the current leaders are too busy to kiss foreigner' behind (esp. that useless Foreign Affair Department), think about those come-back students will be power position 10 years later. They have most understanding of Germany, and have much influences upon other Chinese regarding Germany, but they are basically saying that country and people are piece of animal dump.

Frankly I am stunned by their believing. I NEVER say any Chinese student in USA has such negative feeling toward America (of course, not include Bush and Neocon, or Nancy anti-China Pelosi type). Even Chinese in Japan doesn't rate Japanese such bad.

5. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Me too. I've never seen anything remotely like that toward the USA.

From my personal experience, most overseas Chinese in the States and Japan have favorable opinions of the respective host countries.

6. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

All the stuff I've read is pointing to the fully charged capacity of that battery of being 100km. Not the 400km as you said. So I'm just wondering if you have a direct link to the 400km number?

Wouldn't be the first time if it were me who has misread something but I'd like to see exactly what the reason is behind the different numbers.

7. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really? ;)

When it comes to the violation of human rights, the EU parliament can get pretty unintimate. And that's praiseworthy in my eyes!

If China wants a good relationship & cooperation with the EU, it has to respect human rights.

Thanx for that nice info.

Fortunately I know 2 Chinese students who don't think this way...

8. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    You pretty much in a stage that Chinese doesn't care much what EU thinks. You guys can take whatever human right craps to go against Jews and Muslims, or like French to facility genocide in Rwanda, but heck, it is a LOST point in China.

One of my friend, a CEO in a joint venture company told a head of German company that Germans will NEVER get any contract from his company because he doesn't want to work with Nazis. His Jewish American partner is laughing over it and treat him a good dinner.

Just let's wait to see when Chinese, not the government spinless ashholes, but ordinary ones, shut their doors to much any EU products, and how you guys can couple with the current financial crisis.

Just let you know that Germany is one of the most dislike country in China now. (With France).

9. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How cute.

You seem to have really "bright" friends...

Then let them shut their doors...

Better then you may wish...

Wow!

10. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    China and Russia signed an agreement with China gave Russia upfront 25B and Russian will supply 300B tonnes of oil to China in next 20 years, 4% of China's demand. That is roughly price about $15 per barrel.

Also China and Russia will start using their own currencies on trade and out of USD. Russia will take their companies in Hong Kong for listing, to prepare the replacement of New York and London as THE world center of financing.

Middle East, esp. Saudi, will follow.

11. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008
    People must feel a big sense of relief now that there's a $15 dollar floor under oil and the Russian stock market is not going to zero. :D

HK has been quietly working to attract Russian and Middle Eastern companies to list in HK for some time now. It's simply smart business. I don't think it's meant to be a challenge against London and New York.

12. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Russia's problem is bad. When it got the windfall of energy exports in 2008, there is no much industries in the country can suck up the extra cash inflow. So most of them went to properties and stocks. The Central Bank had to tighting up the interest rate, which drove big Oils borrowing money from European market.

When oil dropped below $70, all those companies on big, big trouble. Many money spent on pipelines that saw the demands and profits dropping same time. If oil goes down below $50, whole country will see some difficult time.

So this deal with China, even though upfront price is $15, but if their oil companies can get cash flow (they have $130B loans due 2009, only $50B relief from Central Bank) now, and finish the pipeline in East, they can charge a better price on Japan to even out the price. There are also other deals such as Russian nuclear power plants to supply electricity to China, and joint-ventual of producing heavy helicaptors, etc., will help Russia in such difficult time.

Basically, China will gurantee Russia on finance, so it will not go under again.

Just wait what Saudi will do. EU will get plunge into money hole with all Eastern European countries blowing off one by one with all the bad loans in EU banks. The biggest money is in China, second one in Middle East, and third one--the smallest one in Japan. Japan has to insure America's money need, so HK (with a little bit of Singapore) will be the new center.

13. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

I'm still not convinced about HK replacing London and New York anytime soon. HK is pretty badly hit this time too, with its stock market down 70%. Nothing can replace New York anytime soon.

But Wen Jiabao did talk about a new financial world order the other day, whatever this new financial world order entails. And now Putin is sounding like he will do his best to make such a new financial world order into reality. :)

http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=13224741&PageNum=0

14. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I owned an electric car - Corbin Sparrow - back on 2001. If you are stopped in traffic the electric motor is not running, so you are not depleting the battery. Time in traffic does not matter only distance traveled does. (That is how the Corbin worked anyway, I'm not familiar with the specific car you mentioned.).

(I just saw this post and haven't really read much else in this thread.)

15. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Putin tried to rebuild their own monetary system. It is in right direction, abeit that he is a little too aggressive. China is in a great position to build up Renmenbi dominated international trade relationship now.

Hong Kong, is same as Singapore and London which is playing by foreign capitals. NY is different with American capitals. So you understand why Hong Kong has the current problem. It can not be just an international financial island, it has to become THE financial center of China.

16. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    This is their website.

http://www.bydauto.com/

17. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

HK has to vie for foreign capital precisely because China doesn't have enough domestic capital and international political clout. New York will stay the center of the world as long as the USA is a superpower and the dollar is the reserve currency of the world, both of which I don't see changing any time soon.

IMO, rather than dreaming for such a fantastic challenge against London or New York, HK is better off staying the way it is as a blend of and the gateway to the West as well as the East.

18. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

A lot of Mainland Chinese companies have really crappy websites. This one is of no exception. With this kind of sense of aesthetics, or the lack of it, they are going to need a lot of handholding from the Buffet people if they want to break into the US market.

That said, their technology does seem to be on the cutting edge.

For the people who can't read Chinese, wikipedia seems to have done a pretty good job about BYD and its products,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BYD_Auto

19. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

Interesting. Thanks for chiming in. So when you're stuck in traffic, if not the battery, what is powering your Corbin?

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    CLICK

This happened to Germany as well last year ... so you get the impression that this is a new Chinese "hobby". :rolleyes:

21. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    That is why it appears in "Financial Time".

22. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing. A electric motor that only draws current when moving the wheel. One of the nice things about pure electric cars, is they don't need any transmission, or cooling system which make normal cars complex to maintain.

It was also very quite. Once time I stopped at a light and a pedestrian walked by without knowing I was even there.

23. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

How about things such as your A/C, lights, stereo etc in the electric car? If they're powered by the car battery, do they drain the battery fast?

BTW, why did you give up on the electric car?

Today Obama again talked about projects that were supposed to be new and big and infrastructure and plug-in hybrids. I hope this new thing from BYD can really take off, if not in China then here in the States.

24. teamdragon

teamdragon Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 2008

Actually the obvious impression is trying to pick bones out of an egg with anything China is a new hobby of some Germans.

25. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A/C = rolling down the window. :) It did have a heater though.

light and stereo it all had, but the car ran off 13 car batteries, so while those drew power it was small compared to what the electric motor would draw.

The wife. When kid #2 arrived she demanded that we get minivan, so my favorite car had to go.

I'm still plotting to by another electric car.

I think plug-in hybrids are the way to go. I'd add a mandate that all cars have "flex-fuel" engine capable of using an arbitrary mixture of gasoline/ethanol/methanol.