Chile vs Spain - June 18, 2014 - Rio de Janeiro [R]

Discussion in 'Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands' started by el-capitano, Jun 14, 2014.

1. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    you got that right.

[​IMG]

jerrito and Tobias19 repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VIVA CHILE

JAIME CHILE and Christina99 repped this.
  3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    ......................MIER....DDD......!!!
    :p

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  4. RedFuryFan

RedFuryFan Member

May 14, 2014
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    You beat the best, the world champions. Chile has no excuse if they lose to Brazil. The same confidence/arrogance they played with vs Spain they should show Brazil. Chile so far has played the best football from south america. If they play without any sort of pessimism Chile will beat Brazil, what do you think?

5. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They didnt beat the best, they beat Spain, who sucks.

Having said so, i agree Chile is far better than Brazil

GO CHILE

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  6. RedFuryFan

RedFuryFan Member

May 14, 2014
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    You are under
    You are not giving your golie credit I would of traded bravo for casillad in this game. 2 shots on goal I thought would surely be in, bravo stepped up. You are in good hands

7. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Chile can beat netherlands

I also think they should wait to see what happens with group A, cause maybe brazil doesnt even get 1st position in their group, and they should avoid them in Rof16 cause Brasil plays with 11 plus they star referinho

In any case, i have huge faith in chile

Nicola777, RedFuryFan and juventino13 repped this.
  8. RedFuryFan

RedFuryFan Member

May 14, 2014
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    With the way Chile plays, rwferinho will surely call something soft. I hope Chile can avoid Brazil. I want to see how far this team can go without dubious calls.

9. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Funny a team like Cameroon has more individual talent on one finger then the entire USMNT has on their entire squad. Yet the results are so divergent.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cannot happen as the Group A matches are after the Group B so we won't know whether Brazil is first or second at the time of the Netherlands/Chile match

soccernutter repped this.
  11. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like this set up. I know you can't prepare against everything but if Holland end up finishing second I can see Brazil throwing the game against Cameroon to finish second in group A and avoid the Dutch in the round of 16.

12. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I think it's a safe bet to assume that Brazil wins this group, given the display Cameroon gave so far...unless of course Mexico thrashes Croatia, which frankly I don't see either.

Though I guess Brazil could still go out as well. If Cameroon can motivate themselves to play as a team for once and if Croatia narrowly beats or draws Mexico, Brazil would have to watch the rest of the tournament on the Telly...very unlikely though...

13. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Chilenos have been impressive. I wouldn't be surprised they beat Holland and finish first.
    Better avoid Brazil and their referees in round 16

14. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You are right. Meant to clarify that the team has a reputation of bad defense, but its only because of the strategy where we leave few in the back. If we wanted we could play defensively and do it well, in my opinion.

BTW, officially Bravo is the new Barcelona GK.

Pipiolo repped this.
  15. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure Brazil holds the tiebreaker over Croatia because they beat them. So if Croatia and Mexico draw, Mexico go through as group winners and Brazil finish second even if they lose to Cameroon. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about the first tiebreaker please

16. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah you're wrong it Goal Difference, Goals Scored then Head to Head at this WC.

17. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh all right. Well then it gets a lot more complicated for Brazil. To finish second they'd have to hope Mexico beat Croatia by more than two goals before they can even entertain the thought of tanking. In other words, Brazil will have to play for the win v Cameroon, which shouldn't be too difficult considering how they played today. So Brazil is probably going to win this group, barring a major upset.

18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If Mexico and Croatia have a draw, and Brazil losses, on GD, Croatia would have better GD than Brazil leaving Brazil out at group phase. Now, if Brazil wins or draws, it would be Brazil whom will top group A, as they have better GD than Mexico.

For Brazil to end as second in group A, it needs that one of both, Croatia or Mexico beat the other, together with achieving a draw against Cameroon.

19. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, like I said that's too many variables. So they'll have to play for the win. I don't think the Netherlands will lose to Chile so it will all be a moot point anyway.

20. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Well, the way I see it is this:

If Brazil can't beat Cameroon at home in their World Cup, then they suck so badly that it doesn't even matter if they finish second in their group or not because they will definitely not go far.

So, I'm not even paying attention to these calculations, because if Brazil gets to a position in which they'll need these tie-breaking scenarios, even if they advance all that they will do is postpone for a short while their inevitable demise.

So, I think, either Brazil beats Cameroon and wins the group and somehow finds some magic and some adjustment and starts to play a lot better in subsequent rounds (thus being a true title contener), or Brazil ties Cameroon proving that they definitely don't have what it takes to with the Cup anyway. Even worse, if they advance after losing to Cameroon (which they could still do if Croatia defeated Mexico by a large goad difference) then they definitely don't belong. Let's not even go there.

So, for me, the only acceptable scenario is a win against Cameroon, therefore I won't even consider the alternatives or worry about them. Anything different, and it's over anyway.

I mean, a team that can't beat Cameroon at home, winning the World Cup? Give me a break! Cameroon conceded 7 goals already (yes, because they conceded two more, wrongly disallowed) and scored none.

21. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i don't know if the brazilian public would tolerate such a cowardly move from their team.
    brasil will struggle against either chile or holland anyway

22. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    As said before, as both Netherlands and Chile don't get to control against whom will we play next round, we might as well go for the top of the group between each other, basicly for the honour of being 1st and to satisfy the fans of each of our countries (at least in our case, we've never ended at top, at group phase, so it would be great to do so once). The final call to whom will face each of us, will always be in the hands of the contenders in group A to decide.

23. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Colombia might have a thing or two to say to that.
    ----
    Now, regarding your question, Chile can perfectly beat Brazil, no doubt about it.
    I actually would have preferred to face aging and demoralized Spain than hungry and energized Chile.

24. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Some people feared Brazil due to the refs, after what happened to Croatia. I never believed in this kind of conspiracy and always attributed the fake penalty on Fred to Fred's good acting skills and the ref's incompetence. The game against Mexico put to rest any notion that the refs are out to help Brazil. So, this is not a reason to fear Brazil.

Another reason, the home crowd? Well, other crowds have been present as well and this edition of the Cup hasn't motivated the same passion among Brazilians, due to political issues.

Another reason, form? No, Brazil is not in any better form than Croatia or Mexico.

So, why should Holland and Chile engage in calculations about who the next adversary should be?

Both Chile and Holland can perfectly handle either Brazil or Croatia or Mexico.

So, no, there will be no calculation. Teams will play to win.

25. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Its too early; yes we had a great game, and hit when it was necessary but it was against Greece....
    Hats off to Chile who not only beat Spain but Australia showed us today that they are not joke

jerrito repped this.