Chile vs Spain - June 18, 2014 - Rio de Janeiro [R]

Discussion in 'Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands' started by el-capitano, Jun 14, 2014.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #1 el-capitano, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
    Wed, Jun 18 • Estádio Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro • Group B

[​IMG]Spain vs [​IMG] Chile

Kickoff - Rio de Janeiro (1600), Chile (1500), Spain (2100)​

Will Spain make a comeback, or will Chile keep rolling on?

2. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    It's going to be tough because Spain has to come offensively now. And Chile with spaces can cause a lot of damage.
    Interesting game but Chile has to play better deffensively than we did against Australia. We have to improve a lot but we can beat them.

3. RedFuryFan

RedFuryFan Member

May 14, 2014
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    This game will decide the group. I think the Netherlands make it out on goal difference even if they were to lose to Chile. It could be the game of the tournament.

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What I saw in the opening games in this group left me impressed with the Dutch, but didn't lead me to think Spain aren't as good as their reputation and standing. Spain got clobbered in a way that I didn't think was quite possible, but I consider what happened exceptional. It is not going to happen again.

Frankly, if Spain do manage to appear remotely competent finishing their chances, I think they will manage to beat up on Chile to make amends. Chile just didn't look as impressive against Australia as I had expected and I feel I was one of those who had overrated them.

5. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    2010 all over again, spain needs to win, and chile is happy with a tie, except both teams are in worse shape than then

spain needs to win and chile cant play defensively (they cant even when they want)
    i just hope its an entertaining match, spain wins 2-0

6. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    SInce the world cup of 2010, we have played two times: In 2011 Chile lost 3-2 after being in front 2-0 in the first half, and last year, we tied 2-2, after being in front 2-0 in the first half. Chile knows how to play them, but we need to shut it down. We have to see how Spain is going to come after loosing 5-1 on the first game.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Chile wasn't happy with the tie in that match, as in fact those first 30 minutes, Spain saw what they had never seen before : a team with the guts to go for them with all it had (Chile started dominating Spain not allowing them to practice its perfectly executed tiki-taka by then), but doing so, left our back really exposed so whom first scored was Spain after one of the biggest errors our goalkeeper did, leaving his goalpost over 30 meters outside and instead of kicking the ball out of the field, he kicked it directly to one of Spains most deadly finishers (Villa), whom only had to make the calculated kick in order to put Spain one over and cellebrate it. Afterwards came the genius act by Iniesta, who put the 2nd past us, and everything would've probably been a great match, if not were by the referee, whom decided to red card one of our players over a dive by Torres, who made it appear as he had been clipped, when he actually clipped himself. From there on, it wasn't much what we could do, with one man down for the rest of the 60 minutes of that match remaining plus being 2 goals down (we still scored afterwards over a set piece, but the damage was already done) and all we could manage through is to not get scored on again, and cross our fingers that Switzerland don't win by more than 2 goals.

Now it is a diferent story, our players have matured and you are right that Spain is in a worse shape as it was before, but you are wrong trying to convince yourself that Chile is also worse than before, as in fact we are lots stronger than how we were back in 2010.

You are also right, that Chile will not play defensively, as the same as of 2010, we are going to go for the win from the begining. Maybe Spain's best shot, is to play defensively themselves and wait for Chile to make mistakes as we regularly do. but I really hope they don't, so we can have one of the best games of all times, between us, as it will not be easy for anyone of both to achieve a convenient result: It will be tough shit, for both.
    I hope for this match, that Spain (or Chile), doesn't receive extra help from the referee, so the best wins by itself.

As the dutch whom wanted payback from 2010, we also want it with all our hearts.
    ;)

8. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    only because Bielsa is a madman
    and after a while Chile was happy with losing 2-1 and that promted a disgusting ending of the match with obvious lack of effort from both sides

if spain is desperate and cant score early in the game, i think Chile cn pull it off, otherwise its very difficult

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Last WC, Spain was by far the best team in the world, and Bielsa was very aware of it. Once we were left with 10 players and 2 goals down, he knew we were not going to win or even draw that match, so he decided to be smart and went for the lowest defeat possible to achieve, and pray that Switzerland wouldn't score much against Honduras, which finally paid off.
    With 11 players, he probably would have taken the risk, but not with 10.
    Against Brazil, for the next round, as it was a knock-out match-up, it held no purpose to try to achieve a small defeat, as at the end it would mean the same thing than a big defeat, so he simply went for it, and so, Brazil at the end had the joy of their life, kicking the shit out of us. When you take risks, you must asume that things may not go in your way, but at least you tried .......
    He may have been kind of "loco", but he has never been stupid.

In regards to our next game against Spain, I've always believed that we can actually beat them. If they are hurt, it is their problem to deal with it, and not ours. All we must do, is go for it as it was planned from the begining, even before they had lost to the Netherlands. On the paper they might still be a stronger team than ours, but we are no newbies in this, and we also have the elements to hurt them. One thing is for certain, if at the end we get eliminated, we will sure not like it, but we will not suffer as much as they will suffer if they get eliminated instead, and this issue plays a very important role, in the minds of those who will play next match, so if we score on them only 1 goal before they do, they'll crumble to pieces, while we can still afford to lose the game by 1 or 2 goals, and still make it to next phase (in any case I prefer to reach it, by directly defeating them, and afterwards give the same treatment to the dutch).

10. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Will be the most important game for Chile under Sampaoli, by far. A tie could secure us the ticket to next round, however, we would end up facing Brazil (unless they lose tomorrow). Will be a great game for neutrals, but will have me nervous all the match.

HeartandSoul and jerrito repped this.
  11. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    CHile under Sampaoli and as Bielsas legacy, will go for the victory. Spain will have to come and atack us because they need the 3 points. It will be interesting to see Sanchez, Vargas and Valdivia with spaces. Interesting game.

HeartandSoul repped this.
  12. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    As soon as Spain fell behind against the Dutch, unbelievably they started to panic and the Dutch took advantage in a big way.
    Be interesting to see what happens if Spain fall behind again........

13. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be an interesting match. Chile looked superb for about 15 minutes against Australia. Spain looked like Andorra for about 45 minutes vs Holland. I predict Chile win this and put Spain out of their misery.

Yañez repped this.
  14. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Spain will get desperate yes, but I feel that Chile can capitalize on this match and take advantage.

15. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Is Casillas playing?
    How many Changes will Del Bosque bring in?

16. Purple Monster

Purple Monster New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    This is going to be an interesting match, I certainly won't miss it. I'm rooting for Chile but I'm also afraid for them. I think Spain can lose if morale is low and if they keep making the same mistakes they did in their game against the Netherlands (hanging around the midfield, they never quite took advantage of Netherlands weaker points in their defense, they hesitated too much and that gave the Netherlands lots of openings to take advantage of and charge). If Chile scores early on, that'll be a big help. I've noticed more than once but especially so in the game against the Netherlands that Spain has a tendency to take things for granted. If they have the ball they take it for granted. If they're losing, they take it for granted and seem scared to do much. I think Spain's team has a big ego problem, which may be why this happens, they seem to expect that their good players and reputation will grant them a victory and seem to be terrified of losing. Chile seems like a more solid team, on the other hand, being less afraid of losing and probably less driven by individual egos.

17. matleblanc

matleblanc Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Del Bosque said that he decided about today squad, but he will not inform even players about his decision. I think Spain has chances to beat Chile. La Furia Roja lost its first match at WC 2010 and then none could stop them.

18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Of course they do, but we have chances as well.
    This time you will not have that "pro-Spain" mexican referee to twist thing around in your favour, and we are willing for payback the same as the dutch were, before you guys played them.

19. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was different. If you had to play that match in Durban 100 times, Spain would have won 99 of them. Switzerland got beyond lucky and you saw how good they were the next two games. This was a 5-1 beatdown. Wholesale changes are necessary. Does del Bosque have the cojones to make them? Or is he content to play out the string with his current veterans. We shall see...

20. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Indications are that Javi Martinez will come into the team for Pique, it's certainly a change that would make sense. It would surprise me if Casillas was left out, he has proven countless times how good he is, one bad match shouldn't change that. I think Costa is totally out of form, so is Torres
    Looking forward to this a lot but on the other hand it's a bit annoying that at least one good team has to go out in this group while in a couple of the other groups poor teams will progress.

21. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    CHILE ESPANA one of the most expected games of this second step!
    really looking forward!

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  22. RedFuryFan

RedFuryFan Member

May 14, 2014
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Torres foot made contact with the Chilean player, he didn't trip himself, not sure why you are making any sort of deal out of that. I think people think Chile of 2010 was stronger perhaps because of the higher profile coach Chile had.

I think this will be a hell of a game, but Spain will win 3-2 in a high scoring affair. What worries me is group A will already be decided for by the time netherlands play Chile. The dutch will not be motivated at all to win that game if Brazil for whatever reason end up coming second in their group which would really favor Chile as they'd have everything to fight for, while the dutch do not. Also the dutch are historic rivals with Spain, not just because of the last world cup, so I wouldn't put it past them to field the bench for that game. Nightmare scenario Chile and Netherlands go through on goal difference :(

23. RedFuryFan

RedFuryFan Member

May 14, 2014
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    It is similar in the sense that had Silva scored that second goal, Del bosque wouldn't have opted for offensive substitutions, and the dynamic of the game would of been the same, Spain dominated until the substitutions, then we fell apart.

24. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    lol at people who were "surprised" at the 5-1. these are the same people who think chile is going to beat spain. spain will beat chile and australia and advance.

25. HelloDay

HelloDay Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Chili should be very careful because Spain may make a strong comeback. I think this is still a 50:50 match even after Spain was defeated 5-1 on last match again Netherlands.