Chile vs Netherlands - Sao Paulo - June 23 [R]

Discussion in 'Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia, Netherlands' started by el-capitano, Jun 18, 2014.

1. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Some sore losers here..
    1. Chile got no chances. One shot on goal vs like >8 for us. If we would open up and started attacking like some of you are suggesting, Chile definitely would have got more chances to score, considering the inexperience of our defense...and we probably wouldn't have more chances than with this system. Sorry for playing on the counter boys, maybe next World Cup we might consider figuring as some soccer version of the Harlem Globetrotters.
    2. Fouls..what fouls. Chile looked like 11 Royston Drenthe's when it came to standing on their feet. It was like they were walking on ice. Holland didn't play extremely hard or something.

2. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I get that, but how about winning the ball cleanly or not fouling automatically if you are getting beaten on the dribble. It is almost like institutionalized cheating. A better ref would have given a few cards for persistent infringement. A foul should in general work against you, not in your favor. Look how Chile disrupted Spain with a high press, but without a lot of fouls.

How would you feel if you played an opponent who constantly fouled you in midfield to stop your counterattacks but they start as a strategy. Do you consider that "fair play"?

Pipiolo and Tuco repped this.
  3. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    happening all the time...

4. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Just got home.

First, congrats to Holland, great game. If Chile is eliminated I will be cheering for them.

Back to the game, dont think there is too much to analyze. It was even in my opinion, even forces which was expected. At the end Netherlands scored 2 goals which was also expected because as the time got closer to 90 minutes, Chile had to risk more and more to get a win. In a normal scenario this game had draw written all over it. Holland didnt have RVP, we didnt have Vidal.

We should have beaten Australia by more goals. I am 100% sure that if Chile just needed a tie today, we would have brought it home and even a victory. At the end, we once again face Brazil.

Good luck to Holland and of course, we gotta break the bad run against Brazil sometime, why not now?

JAIME CHILE and MrOranjeBal repped this.
  5. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    fair enough. I just have a personal animosity to excessive tactical fouling the greatly influences the match, either against the possession team or the counterattacking team.

6. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Chile only committed 3 fewer fouls against Spain than the Netherlands did, so I don't see why their match against Spain can be used as an example of cleaner pressing.

Attacking players aren't all that innocent, in this match attackers of both sides often went down easily to win free kicks as this referee was pretty tight on physical contact. Both sides adapted to the style of this referee like any good team would.

As for cheating, how about diving for penalties? That is one stat we're definitely bottom of the group.

7. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Good luck to Chile as well. You guys were brilliant against Spain and have played some of the best football this tournament so far.

Brazil at home is a tough match up, but Chile is one of the few teams that has the width to hurt their full backs. Anything is possible.

8. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I was not clear. I was comparing Chile-Spain to Netherlands-Chile. Chile, while high pressing the better possession team Spain, only committed 15 fouls. Netherlands, while high pressing the better possession team Chile, committed 25 fouls. In both case the pressing team won 2-0. Chile was much cleaner in the pressing.

9. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Following your argumentation Holland also pressed cleanly against Spain this group stage. The key to defeating Spain is to block their passing lanes. They don't have any pacy players that like to beat a man. They are also way too good at tactical diving to close them down physically.

Most of the extra fouls in the game against Chile came from man marking Sanchez who poses a big threat to a high defensive line.

10. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    result was never in doubt, Nederland is a much much better team, with a solid defense and attack, a smart coach that easily outsmarted Sampaoli, who then bitterly described Nederlands' football as defensive LOL

Chile looked absolutely CLUELESS with the ball there, kind of pathetic, if you can't break this kind of teams, you wont achieve great things

Its sad that the dutch are chokers and will probably lose in the final again

jerrito repped this.
  11. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Could not disagree more. But, guess we need tolerance :devilish:

jerrito repped this.
  12. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    when chile is frustrated, they start to blame on the referee, the fouls, the whatever that comes, it already happended with some of players in u20 WC in canada 2007 semifinals agains Argentina, althou that referee was terrible, anyway, now at least dont get red cards

13. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Completely wrong what maxsanta said. from beginning to end.

14. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Why pick a fight with no one? How are we, chileans, sore losers when none of us has said anything that might merit that tag? In fact, on the contrary, a few countrymen and I have congratulated the Netherlands.

Which is why I cant take MaxSanta serious, everything he said makes absolutely no sense, at all. He just takes every opportunity to bash Chile whether we win or lose. He does not speak for the rest of us chileans in Bigsoccer.

jerrito repped this.
  15. Tuco

Tuco Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    At this rate, I don't see any other team in the WC catching up to the Netherlands in terms of fouls committed.

Yes, it's a great strategy to employ especially when you have two highly competent midfield destroyers, but for me it makes for poor football. I would like to see referees clamp down on persistent fouling, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. (Remember the miracle of last world cup? When De Jong and van Bommel avoided card after card?)

Pipiolo repped this.
  16. Treehouse

Treehouse New Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Don't see that happening anytime soon, they dont even punish diving for penalties properly...

17. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    of course i dont speak for the rest of chileans, its not my intention

ok chile is not terrible, but we're done in this world cup

18. bylbyl

bylbyl Member

May 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    reactie voetbal ? seemed more catenaccio :)

19. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I guess it"s pretty close to that, indeed. :)

20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It's very hard to even believe that you are chilean, by the way you hate the team, its colors and what they represent. :rolleyes:

So yes, you only speak for yourself and not for any other chilean.
    ;)

21. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    the same goes for you guys, you only speak for yourselves

I am very very chilean, but I'm not blind with the bad thing this team has and other stuff

22. CanadaHolland

CanadaHolland Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Seen that tournament here in Canada that was a fantastic young U20 Chile team how many players from that team were in the starting lineup vs Holland thanks?

23. maxsanta

maxsanta Member

Colo Colo
    Netherlands
    Dec 2, 2009
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Isla, Medel, Alexis

24. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Sad that Chile is full of sad pessimists that disguise themselves as realists.

25. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Chile con carne was delicious! to be honest the result was kind of unexpected for me, our defense was rocksolid and Chile really couldn't do anything and got frustrated. and we took our chances. Chapeau to chile as they are a good team and are my favourite COMNEBOL team, hope you guys defeat Brazil.

JAIME CHILE, Conifeertje and Yañez repped this.