Childhood obesity = Threat to national security

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Steamer, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Mrs. Obama. This is an issue which deserves more serious attention.

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's absolutely a national security issue.

These kids grow up and almost vote Palin into a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

[​IMG]

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
  4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you all, if it's truly a "national security" issue, does that mean you'd support laws banning obesity?

And if not, why do support policies that endanger national security.

That statement has to be one of the dumbest things any President's wife has ever said.

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Did you read the actual quote or are you just relying on Steamers thread title . . .

“This epidemic also impacts the nation’s security, as obesity is now one of the most common disqualifiers for military service.”

Turning people away from military service who WANT to volunteer seems like it might have an impact on our military, no?

Fortunately, military recruiting is going well because of the shit economy. Kind of sad but true.

In addition to this, would you agree that rising deficits are a threat to our long term security?

Because obese children grow up with health problems and that costs money from Medicare and Medicaid.

Now to your questions. Do you ever get tired of not making sense?

Is it not possible to accept that we have the freedom to eat whatever we want and at the same time believe that we can have a positive impact by educating people on health threats that they might not know about?

6. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Dont eat dont tell.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the story (well, a story, not from CNS). Nice try. I'll even respond nicely.

What happens if we start having the draft again (it's still on the books after all)?

However, let's go with your health care point. The federal government spends a ton of money on Medicare and Medicaid, and may spend more depending on what happens with the issue in the near future. Is that justification for the feds to make obesity illegal? It could be.

Yes, it's extremely possible. I think most people know obesity is bad. If Michelle Obama wants to make that her pet cause, that's fine too.

But she invoked two specific words that are used to justify an awful lot regarding the federal government, and that is "national security".

Do you think those words were an accident? I don't. I don't know exactly what she meant by it, maybe not a heck of a lot, but it's not nothing. Her husband, you will recall, uses the words "national security" to justify his belief that he can order the death of an American citizen without that pesky "trial" thing.

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    The comments on that article are hilarious.

Apparently some people hold grudges...

10. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    [​IMG]

This thread is retarded

1 person likes this.
  11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    A good start would be eliminating our massive subsidies for sugar and corn.

ceezmad and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Steamer and Mastershake29 make conservative populism and libertarianism so easy to reject. I'd like to know, is it the quality of the ideas they advocate, or their own rank stupidity with which they advocate for their ideas. For the love of god, I'd like to think there's more to these philosophies than each of these numbskulls suggest.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Seriously, stop being stupid.
    This isn't controversial. Everyone has known it. Even Fox News. For years!

1 person likes this.
  15. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/61157

Too bad we didn´t have fast food in the 60s.

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I can't believe I'm lowering mysself to engage this. I simply can't help myself, I have no e-willpower.

Because "banning obesity" is like "banning stupidity". I think being stupid is a huge national security issue. But banning obesity and stupidity is unreasonable and unworkable. So instead, I support education about education. Encouraging kids to read and study and explore are good things, and good for america, including our national security.

Sadly, good health is not something that gets a lot of attention in our society. So, since we're not banning obesity, but since we think it's bad, Michelle Obama is trying to educate people about it. Isn't that good.

And "obesity is bad" is not as obvious for a lot of people as you might think. The truth is, only a tiny minority of people eat real, unprocessed foods with any regularity. The truth is that many americans have to be taught again to purchase fresh produce and cook it. It's sad but true. Shit, I have only recently in my life learned about the nutritional benefits of whole grains, for example. I'm cooking with quinoa and lentils for the first time in my life. And I'm not young.

17. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Steamer and MasterShakes mom's would limit their internet usage to WoW and MySpace

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU"]YouTube- Leeroy Jenkins[/ame]

18. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we all hurry, it may still be possible to go long on Reynolds stock.

19. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    OK then let's just frame this in a basic conservative philosiphy.

Why is the Federal Government responsible to do this, and will the money that it spends really make any difference?

I do think trying to tie it to "National Security" is pretty lame.

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Michael Moore should do a movie about the issue of obesity in America.

1 person likes this.
  21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's framing the question in libertarian terms, not conservative. There is a difference.

She didn't. Read the speech.

Steamer is a POS liar and his link is to a site that took a single sentence out of the context of her speech and then added words to the quote that she didn't say.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a good one...

Next step - a change in self-identification in the next poll?

23. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    touche...
    LOL
    he can call it Supersize my Fatass.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can see it now.

Open with a scene of beautiful Bangla Desh, where everybody is slim and happy...