Chick Hearn: the "Spanish Broadcaster" of the NBA

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by FlashMan, Aug 6, 2002.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he didn't speak Spanish, but he brought to the NBA the enthusiasm and vivid imagery that Spanish soccer announcers bring to soccer.

I don't know how many of you know Chick Hearn that well, him being the voice of the Lakers and all, but in Southern California he was God, even to an anti-Lakerite like myself. He really does remind me of a Spanish-speaking soccer announcer with his staccato rythym, the excitement in his voice, his constant energy and his verbal pyrotechnics. He was bigger than the team or the sport itself, and drew in literally thousands and thousands of new fans solely with the nature of his announcing, turning on a whole generation (more than one actually) with his verbal skills. He will be sorely missed.

What MLS and the Nats need (i.e., ESPN2 and/or the Disney network) is a Chick Hearn for soccer.

2. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Concur. I grew up in LA, hated the Lakers, but much respect for Chick. He brought tremendous energy and excitement to the game.

You bring up a good point. The MLS needs more color. They need an announcer that everyone identifies as MLS. They need plaers that are bigger than the sport. They need fans that are bigger than the sport.

3. togneter

togneter Member

Mar 30, 2000
    You should listen to Kevin Calabro some time. Colorful as they come.

He does Sonics games and playoffs for Turner.

I think he's on the X-Box NBA game.