Chicago Update

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by Peter Wilt, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Last week i spoke at the IWSL AGM and met with the Indiana Youth Soccer Executive Director. We're also working on a partnership agreement with FC Indiana and hoping to do similar with Chicago Gaels, but their communication has not been the best. Had some very good meetings this past week - CPWS investor meeting Tuesday in Chi and League meetings in DC Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. In Chicago, we're putting together our roadmap, vision, mission and value statements with operating principles and finalizing employment agreements with President/CEO (me) and GM (TBA). Lot going on behind the scenes with the League. January will be a pretty big month for the League. We also added a couple minor uypgrades to our website allowing email list registration and blogging with reader comments....now i have to start blogging there and adding some more content. Looking forward to adding GM, which will really help me out.

peter

2. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm curious as to how the player allocation works. There are quite a few players from the midwest area, Kate Markgraf, Leslie Osborne, Lindsay Tarpley, Lori Chalupny to name a few, which would be great to see playing in Chicago. Do the players express interest in playing for a certain team and that's where they go? Or is it just a luck of the draw sort of thing, people just end up wherever? Looking at the 2007 WNT player pool, there's about 35-40 players there, how many will be allocated to each team?

3. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Player distribution mechanics are still being finalized, but we certainly will ask the WNT players their preferences with the understanding that there is no assurance on their ultimate team.

4. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    A safe bet that Chalupny would allocate to St. Louis.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Heather Mitts would be a logical choice for Chicago since she's from Cincinnati.
    I wonder if Jenn Grubb would want to play for her hometown. She's not too old yet. And don't forget there's a lot of local kids in college like Notre Dame and Illinois who may be available in couple years to go pro.

6. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Ah yes, thank you, I forgot about St. Louis! Sorry, brain fart!!

7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an even more important question. When do you think you'll start taking season ticket deposits? :D

8. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Thanks for the update Mr. Wilt.

Did I miss it or is there any more info on the 8th team?

9. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    probably when the team name is announced...sometime in first half of 2008.

peter

10. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    The League is planning to go ahead with seven teams, but there are a couple other markets that are considering joining in time for 2009. Nothing has been finalized for those markets however.

peter

11. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Is there any chance that the pro teams will play exhibitions against the W-League teams in venues outside ther pro markets?

12. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Yes. i think that is important for the League's growth. i tried setting one up in 2003 in Naperville, but the WUSA teams at the time did not want to do it. The teams and League allowed the coaches to veto it. That mentality of allowing coaches to make business decisions is another reason i believe the WUSA did not survive.

peter

13. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Will there still be a Cup Tourney that all teams will compete in? Like the pro teams, W-League, and WPSL.

14. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    TBD...i hope so.

peter

15. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
  16. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Congrats Peter on hiring Marcia McDermott. Everything I've heard about her has been positive. She knows the area and has been around the women's game for a long long time and has many connections. Good luck.

18. cchchaplain

cchchaplain Member

UW-Platteville men and women
    Jan 30, 2006
    Manitowoc, Wisconsin
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter,
    Awesome job in hiring Marcia. While she was coaching the Courage, they became the only Carolina based team I followed even though I have been living in NC for 11 years. I loved the toughness and the skill her teams had.

19. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another article about the new GM. A couple of things that impress me even more about her is that when in Carolina she was also the Assistant GM and being in Medical sales that past few years. With Carolian she was involved with an organization that did well both on and off the field. Putting a good team on the field is important for this league to do well, but it's the off field details that will really contribute for success for failure. I also think that it's good that she has some sales experience outside of soccer. Because I think sales ability will be just as important in this league as is soccer knowledge.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=111852

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ...level of engagement from the owners. There are also really good relationships being built with the MLS...
    I especially like the good relationships with MLS part, which the "Founders" of WUSA didn't seem too interested in.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Peter,
    Any news on coaching candidates?
    Thanks.

22. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    We're closing in on a decision, but due to coaching commitments there may or may not be a formal announcement for a few months.

peter

23. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I saw that about Barcellos.

Also saw that Greg Ryan was interested before the Michigan job and that Borkowski is still a canidate.

Glad to see Ryan out of the mix. A new team would not need that controversy at all. Should be interesting.

Does anyone think that some teams may wait to see what happens with Pia after the Olympics?