Chicago Update

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by Peter Wilt, Feb 15, 2007.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This is my point. The Erica Iversons will be the rule, not the exception. If a player is 27 and hasn't sniffed the WNT, other career options will begin to pull harder.

2. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003

LOL OK Cause I "might" actually pay to see them play on something other than NT....might even be a little fun..to see one or 2 of them humbled a bit

3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Charmaine Hooper still live in Chicago?

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I remember when she played for the Chicago Cobras.

5. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    MRAD mentioned some players with Chicago ties. Are there well-known players who fit this criteria? Or will there be like an open tryout Vince Papale style?

6. canned goods

canned goods New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Leslie Osborne (Eclipse Select), Amy LePeilbet (Eclipse Select), Jen Buczkowski (Eclipse Select) and Marci Miller (Naperville) to name four.

7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
  9. lucky13dad

lucky13dad Member

May 16, 2006
    Region 2
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter,

If we would have won Mega Millions last night, we would've been your lead investor. Maybe next time!

10. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think I love you.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is wsii.com still the league webpage? I only ask because there are live links to a couple of the franchises (Freedom, SkyBlue, Boston) but not one for Chicago. I've been to the Chicago site so I just wondered what was up.

12. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    new leaguewebsite is in development...prolly a month or so away. i'll get chi link added to wsii site. thx.

peter

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info on the impending new site. As always, you rock.

14. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to clairify something. Peter since you will have a part in both F.C. Indiana and WSII Chicago, will there be a feeder system or "sister" club relationship in place? Or will your involvement with either team slowly fade, once they are established in their respective leagues?

15. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    That's two different questions. Re: the first, we are working to formalize the relationship with FCI. There is already a shared ownership relationship and there will definitely be a commercial partnership. We fully expect there to be a technical agreement between the two clubs as well. The full nature of the technical agreement is still being discussed and will be subject to restrictions by the various governing bodies including the respective leagues. I will not have a formal position with FCI, but i hope the Chicago team can be a "parent" club to FCI.

Re: my association with the Chicago team, one of the reasons i invested personally is to assure my long term relationship with it. I expect to serve as team president for as long as ownership wants me. In the near term that involves managing the day to day operations and at some point in the future, perhaps prior to the spring, 2009 launch, i hope to hand off day to day operations to the GM, who we hope to retain very soon. As team president i expect to continue to oversee all of the key front office hiring, agreement negotiation, organizational culture building and interface with the League, community and with the Chicago investor group even after my day to day role is passed on.

peter

16. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Mr. Wilt,

As a fan of FCI myself, and having two daughters that are even bigger fans, I was wondering if a coach for the Chicago franchise has been hired. Truthfully I was hoping that Coach Borkowski would continue with FCI. But would understand with his success that he would be a viable canidate for the new league.

Secondly, when or will there be a FC Indiana forum open up (or any other women's teams) on BS like the men have. Would enjoy trading ideas and info with other fans.

17. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    TSD,

Shek is certainly a target for the Chicago head coaching position. This team has been his dream from the beginning and he and Gary Weaver originally brought me into the project. Shek has an impressive knowledge of international and domestic women's soccer and a great track record as a Head Coach at FCI. Our next step is to hire a general manager, however. While i will be involved in the hiring process for the head coach, the GM will make the hire.

Forum creation is up to the folks at BS. If posters show enough interest in a subject, they will create a forum. Probably should start out with a thread first in the "W-League and WPSL" forum and try to generate interest there.

Good luck.

peter

18. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Peter,

Thanks for the info. I wish the best for Coach Borkowski I quess I am a little greedy for the team I now support.

FYI-I know our family plans to be at the first Chicago home game in 2009.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Peter,
    Would Brett Hall be in consideration for the Chicago coaching job? Hopefully his image hasn't been tarnished with the results of the WNT in China? He is a Chicago guy who knows the area and now knows many of the players throughout the country given his experience with the US National Team.

20. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    i respect Bret as a coach and as a person. If he has an interest, i am certain he would receive serious consideration.

peter

21. WiscFan

WiscFan Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for answering! A few other questions for you. Does anyone else in Wisconsin have any interest in the WSII or W-League? That is, other than yourself. And will the WSII Chicago team possibly have a pre-season game in Milwaukee, or somewhere else in WI? I understand its a few years out, and there are more important things to worry about.

22. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    i've received interest in supporting the team from the leadership of the WYSA and from a group looking to bring a WPSL or W-League team to Madison. In 2000, when MLS considered "hosting" a pro women's League, i had planned on having the Fire's team play five games in Chicagoland and a game each in Milwaukee, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Detroit and Indianapolis. i still believe one off games in these markets would do well.

peter

23. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I personally would love to see the Fire play in Indy. Maybe even at the new Lucas Oil Field. A match with Columbus would be great, that way we could see the two closest clubs.

A chance to see the women would be even better for my daughters to help feed their desire for the game.

24. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana