Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Does anyone know what the dimensions of the field will be? I remember that LA had the sidelines pushed all the way out for thier first game, then they made the field smaller. Will it be huge or not? This will have a MAJOR effect on our strategy. We cannot possibly pressure all over the field if it's that big.

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found it, Jeff (and everyone else)...

120 yards long x 75 yards wide.

http://www.mlsnet.com/teams/la/stadium.html

3. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Re: Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

Originally posted by lgsoccerchic66
    Could you explain...
    a. how I made your point

in my original, good-natured response I put forth Armas and Ralph as significant to MY BIASED POSITION. You then found a couple matchups that, to your biased position, give your team an advantage. Point being, both sides can do this. Hence my saying "through my rose-colored glasses" instead of presenting my conclusion as the logical outcome of all available data.

b. what you mean by "I think I'll take that bet"

If San Jose decides to beat Chicago through the air, instead of on the ground, I think that benefits my side.

c. how you think you can beat our team

by scoring one more goal by games end.

m

4. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

So I spoke with Vince from the Blue Crew and he knows the person who originally created the "WE BELIEVE" sign. (The original sign that has been behind the goal in the North Endzone)

He is 99.99% sure that the original "WE BELIEVE" sign will make its way to the HDC!

The spirit will continue. Don't forget to wear your BLUE. See everyone in a few days. I am so excited.

GO SAN JOSE
    GO QUAKES!!!

5. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Some great analysis by fans of both teams.

In my view, the games comes down the following matchups:

Beasley vs Mullan/Wraibel -- it's possible that Mullan and DMB will neutralize each other, but if DMB gets past Mullan, look out.

Boca vs LD -- Carlos will likely be matched up on LD and has kept him under wraps. This is THE key matchup.

I think the Fire have too much overall team speed compared to the Quakes.

Also, no opponent over the last half dozen games has been able to utilize a flank wing/cross game against the Fire with any success. We have too much speed on the outside, and if a winger does get behind wide, high balls get headed away by our impregnable line 6 footers.

As a result, teams have to come up the gut against us, and Armas has been simply destroying these attacks.

I think SJ will be a real challenge for the Fire, in that Mullan, LD, and Walker are explosive. They will get some chances, but if they don't bury them, it's over. Meanwhile, we will attack relentlessly, push the ball with speed, and press all over the field.

A 2-1 scoreline seems most likely.

6. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karl, good to see you here!

This one is really hard to analyze, because the Quakes are so unpredictable.

8 goals in 2 games... from 7 different players.

This doesn't necessarily give San Jose any kind of edge (indeed, in my mind we're definitely the underdog), but it makes the "key matchups" less key than in most matches.

Bajoro's biggest factor: Each time the Fire has been in the final, the underdog has won. :)

7. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Lethargytartare's biggest factor:
    The top seed has won every playoff this postseason.

God, these teams are so evenly matched, even the completely insignificant trend factors cancel out.

m

8. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    One look at the Fire's past few games will show that the idea of one D-mid, let alone 2, has been irrelevant. The Fire owned the midfield against DC for 180 minutes and NE for the last 70, so much so that both Marsch and (especially) Armas with playing more offense than D, except when tracking back. In fact, the only two dedicated defenders for most of the play have been Curtin and Boca.

I think that San Jose is the one team in the league with the ability to counter the Fire possession game with speed at the forwards and midfield pressure. If they force the Fire into a different style of play, I think San Jose could come out a winner. If not, I see another Fire 2-0 shutout due to midfield dominance.

Prediction: San Jose matches Fire in the midfield making for a game with very few clear chances. 1-0 San Jose ... because I'm a pessimist. Hopefully, the game won't hinge on a dispute call.

9. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yech. This pregame thread has deteriorated into a lovefest of mutual admiration.

What's up with that?

10. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    ...we both hate LA?

m

(and I'm saving my abusive side for living_ded_boy on the rivalries forum)

:)

11. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Fixed......oh, and like i said in my PM reply, you are nice and all but it aint my scene.

12. lgsoccerchic66

lgsoccerchic66 New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Los Gatos

Out of curiosity...what makes Jeff Bradley feel like a psychic? Crazy thing that SJ has come back against two very difficult teams. I believe it will be the other way around. The Quakes will score first, then again, then Chicago will score twice and we'll win it in overtime....again. EVERYONE BRING 'WE BELIEVE' SIGNS BECAUSE WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO BRING BANNERS!!!

13. lindsey

lindsey New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA

thanks for your reply! i'm surprised that dunivant didn't play in the LA game- i think that he's definitely one of the most gifted players on the quakes now. oh well, waibel, dayak, and agoos have been keeping the line up pretty well so i guess that's all that matters!

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff's got a lot of great points and factoids in that column. Especially the part about the first goal being all-important.

I do agree with his last point, about us being in store for the most exciting MLS Cup final to date. I just don't agree with him about the outcome, however.

Quakes to win, 3-2... and it might be fitting if this happened in extra time as well. :)

15. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

As of right now, I'm predicting a 2-1 Win-Quakes!!!

16. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

17. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anybody know what color jerseys we're wearing on Sunday - Blue, White or our new third-color solid orange kits? :D

but seriously, blue or white? does anybody know for sure?

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

My take on this is that Frank wanted to get Goose in on the left so that he would be a bit more accurate on the diagonal passes. I don't think that he is at all upset with Hott Toddy's performance. Heck, the guy played every game up to the last two. Might also be that Dunni had some muscle fatigue Frank wanted rested to make sure that he has a strong back up.

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that solid orange (hope it's fluorescent dayglo) sounds great. Quakes could blind Chicago as they came out on the field.

20. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

I have not heard or read anything but I have seen where we are listed as the "visitor" since Chicago is the "home" team by virtue of the Supporters' Shield. Presumably, that would mean we are wearing white again (worked out pretty well in 2001.)

I did write Johnny Moore a congratulatory note earlier in the week and ran that question by him, too. I have not yet heard back from JM but this is an extremely busy week for them...totally understand. I also asked what the league view was on both teams wearing their home colors since red and blue would certainly not be mistaken for one another. That would look awesome, IMO.

If we are truly going to get superstitious about uniforms, I might also point out that every time we've worn blue in that building the results have not been good. Don't know about the first visit when Jamil got us a 1-1 tie. We're the Quakes wearing blue that night? (Surely, someone was there and can help us out on this.)

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should wear complete white as a symbol of our purity.

22. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better get to talking about the lineups again...

And here are the projected starting elevens for both teams, according to the game guide embedded and linked within the preview/overview for the match itself from MLSNET.com...

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES

Code:
    [size=3][color=blue]--------------Donovan---------DeRosario*--------------

----------------------Ekelund-----------------------------

----Lagos**----------------------------------Mullan-----

----------------------Mulrooney--------------------------

----Agoos-------Robinson-----Dayak------Waibel-----

-------------------------Onstad---------------------------[/color]
    [/size]

CHICAGO FIRE

Code:
    [size=3][color=red]--------------------Ralph-------Razov-------------------

---Beasley--------------Marsch------------Williams---

---------------------------Armas-------------------------

---Perez-------Bocanegra-----Curtin-----Whitfield---

------------------------Thornton-------------------------[/color]
    [/size]

The asterisks on the Quakes' lineup are there because with Corrales available, he could play on the left side of midfield for Lagos, and if DeRosario isn't quite ready or match-fit, Walker gets another start.

Can't wait til the game actually gets going! Let's roll!!

Sí se puede!

And oh, yeah... one other important thing...

NO RULES.

:D

23. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hasn't Yallop already stated he'll go with the same lineup as the last two games?

don't think DeRo will be in there from the beginning. besdies, the pace of Walker goes well against the slowness of the Fire's backline.

24. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    On what planet is the Fire's backline slow?? I really hope Yallop agrees with your assessment...

Later,
    COZ

25. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    dammit, COZ, you shoulda kept this under wraps...

m