Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

Presuming that Beasley is back to his left side mid position (instead of the front middle forward spot to utilize his speed) Mulrooney should be assigned to mark DMB again, especially given with last year's match where the speedster was effectively shut down.

Also, to cover the Double R Front (Razov and Ralph) have Dayak and Robinson (Agoos?) mark them since they will be on the attack.

If I'm Donovan and whoever is his sidekick I'd watch for Bocanegra more than Armas, who'll probably cover the midline of Lagos-Russell/Ekelund/Mullan.

There will not be any gimmies for either side so someone will have to exploit Phat Zack or Onstad respectively and hope one of them gets caught off their line.

At this point, this game could go down to PKs. Cheers!

2. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    we're dramatic though...hmmm...it's got to be won in overtime

3. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    Re: Psst! MLS Cup... Pass it on!

Hope you don't mind if I edit out the link and post in my journal. :) actually nah...i'll post it all. I doubt anyone will click on the link though.

4. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    I don't think anyone is predicting a blowout one way or the other.

The regular season series was pretty close when both teams were at relatively full strength. A whopping two points separated them in the end for the Supporters Shield.

While the Fire had a pretty easy time with DCU as SJ struggled against LA, both teams had to overcome a tough opponent in the the semis and both teams rose to the occasion, winning in dramatic OT fashion.

I'm going to say much the same thing about MLS Cup 2003 that I said about our semi against the Revs: Anything can happen in one game. This is especially true when the teams are as evenly matched as they will be for this game. It may come down to one mistake on one play. Anyone who is counting their chickens at this point is a fool. I'm sure that while both teams are confident, they are also smart enough to respect their opponent.

That said, my personal opinion is that the Quakes have a better offense than NE was able to field against us. While Noonan has been giving Ralph a run for ROTY, the Revs didn't have a Donovan. Then again, I think the Revs' defense was slightly better than the Quakes'. Obviously, Quakes fans will disagree, but that's my opinion.

On the flip side, I think SJ will find the Fire to be more difficult opponents than KC. If the Quakes defense plays like they did against KC, I think the Fire will find the seams and will score. We have more scoring threats than does KC. If the Quakes defense stays focused, though, scoring chances may be few and we can't waste them like we did against DC or the Revs. The other question is "Can we contain Donovan long enough to avoid letting the Comeback Kids back into the game?".

DCU didn't play as a team against us, the Revs' offense sputtered against us due to missing players and SJ will be the most complete team we'll have faced in the post season. To beat the Quakes, we'll have to play even better than we did against the Revs. I know we can do it. I just hope we will do it.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And I hope you won't do it. ;)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Very good points indeed! The two teams match up well in so many ways that it's downright eerie. It'll most likely be a close game that can go either way just due to a mistake or an inspired play or whatnot.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy heck! Sorry if this is here somewhere!!! But peeps!! Goose sprained his foot! :eek:

He's listed as questionable! :eek:

7. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    when did you read/hear this?

8. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes site on the weekly update.

9. chacarita

chacarita New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Newport Beach
    Calm Down

O.k, so Agoos might be out, it is still questionable. We still have to have faith in our team. This game is probably This team is something very special. We were made fun of at the begining of the year about how we were a team of cast -0ffs, old men, and players that choked on the road and in the play-offs. Now look at where we are! This team has heart! Not alot of teams can say that they have that as a collective. I expect the Quakes, OUR QUAKES, to play there hearts out. I know that they will, I think everyone here knows that. We have to have Faith in our team, thats all. Never doubt them, after all these years, they have never doubted our support. GO QUAKIES. See you all in section 127 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said anything about doubting the team?

I just refuse to let the euphoria of the last two games cloud the fact that Goose is a VITAL part of this team. It is not a slight blow when he might not be available.

That's just truth. Not doubt.

11. chacarita

chacarita New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Newport Beach
    Post wasn't aimed at you man. It was just me voicing my opinion in general. GO QUAKES!

12. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Goose

He's been vital from the bench before: WC2002, Quakes last summer...

Then let's recall how Corrales stepped into the 2001 Finals and was one of our best players. That's when Ramiro finally came into his own.

Goose also has a speed deficit, which could be exposed by a fast team like Chicago on a big field like HDC.

We already learned how to win clutch games without Goose in the middle. And I bet Dunivant is very motivated to prove himself. Hopefully his confidence is intact.

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was probably on the play where he ended up writhing in pain on the sideline for a few minutes - I think in the OT, before getting up and continuing to play.

But he really wasn't the same after that play, making some very poor passes afterwards.

Maybe the Quakes are playing decoy by listing him as Questionable when in fact he's really more Probable.

14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, if Agoos cant play it does suck, but its not like we dont have anyone to replace him. I would be fine with Dunivant playing on the left again.

15. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/firstXI1118.html

Even though he's not a fan of the Blueshirts, I've always gave cred to Jeff Bradley for his writing acumen but I'm hoping his prediction falls through Sunday. Max Bretos of Chicago (now Metros) anyone, though on the writing scale.

Still well written except for the last part. Cheers!

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shhhhhh.....

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just gotta believe Goose is going to play. Much like Troy who is still hurting, but said when it comes down to these games he'll gut it out, I fully believe Goose will find a way to get on that field. Maybe not for a whole game. But his steadfastness and leadership will be needed.

18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just read an article on Soccerway.com that quotes Landon, when asked about being the underdog, "Anything can happen, and no matter what does, we won't give up." Way to go!

But, it quoted him from New York. What's he doing in New York?

19. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Yeah, you're right, I'm wrong. I couldn't believe the Fire would play Williams on the wing, that can't be a natural position for him. I should have known Perez was playing on the left because he had that left-footed screamer against Meola earlier in the season.

So it looks like the Fire are copying our successful tactic of a double d-mid 4-4-2 with dribblers attacking diagonally from the wings. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Seems double d-mid 4-4-2 was working for Colorado too during their impressive midseason run.

20. lgsoccerchic66

lgsoccerchic66 New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Los Gatos

Maybe it was a phone interview...

21. lgsoccerchic66

Nov 10, 2003
    Los Gatos

Did LA not have an advantage with their 4-0 lead? I think an aggregate goal advantage like that is far more difficult to overcome than two silly little players. What about our Walker and Donovan who are both able to tear up their offensive third and beat almost any defender to a ball?? I don't recall seeing that any of your defenders are particularly fast. Good luck on Beasley's part trying to stop Mullan's great footwork and his ability to put great crosses in, same with Mulrooney's fabitty fab crosses, then we have Roner and Walker who can jump five feet in the air to finish them, and even sometimes shorty LD to finish off. The advantages are almost equal my friend, you're counting your chickens before they've hatched...you're counting your eggs before they've been laid! Ha ha corny I know...but this is going to be an ex-say-lent game and anyone who can't be there live will be sorry!!!

22. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Re: Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

Dude, LA sucked. I mean, they REALLY REALLLLLLLLLY SUCKED. They wouldn't even have made the playoffs in the East.

And in any case, you've really made my point - my familiarity with my team makes me see the places where we can disrupt your game and gain advantage, likewise for you and yours, though if you want to challenge us with crosses to the head, I think I'll take that bet. So of course I think the Fire will win. Doesn't mean I'm not sick to my stomach with anxiety, just that I see how we CAN beat your team, not how we will. That could happen any number of ways. ;-)

m

23. MegaStar

MegaStar New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    San Mateo

Did anyone read the article in the San Jose Merc sports section inside cover today. Don't even get me started...

24. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

Yeah, there is a whole thread about it if you scroll down a little. ;)

25. lgsoccerchic66

Nov 10, 2003
    Los Gatos

Could you explain...
    a. how I made your point
    b. what you mean by "I think I'll take that bet"
    c. how you think you can beat our team