Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    if you recall...Chicago wasn't predicted to do so well either....

2. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

Thanks!!! Looks like we'll be having a showdown next week!! I agree, these two teams weren't favored to do so well but they gave a lot of heart and got the results they deserved. Lookin' forward to next week!!

3. ThePenguin

ThePenguin New Member

Nov 4, 2003

I'm very happy right now. I got my ticket to MLS CUP. The Penguin will be in attendance and I got my plane ticket. I'm racking up the frequent flyer miles, thank you Earthquakes.

See everyone at the HDC, so that we can party. I would love to see 10-20 buses full of earthquakes supporters. Lets try to convince the masses that the Earthquakes are worth the drive.

Later....

GOOOOO SAN JO-SE
    GOOOOO SAN JO-SE
    GOOOOO SAN JO-SE

GOOOOO-OO-OO SAN JO-SE

Go Quakes!
    Wear your Blue.

4. dmlove

dmlove New Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Repeat Question (not answered)

Does anyone know where the Quakes are staying?

5. Big Blue Soccer Fan

Big Blue Soccer Fan New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Milpitas, CA

Definitely would be worth the drive. My kids want to go more than anything. If my son's soccer tournament ends Saturday--can do. If not, I'm stuck here doing soccer mom duty. I'm just wondering if I have to make the last minute decision to get there, I'll be able to get tickets. Dilemma.....also, I'm not superstitious or anything, but everytime my son's team has won---so have the Earthquakes. :)

GOOOOOOOO EARTHQUAKES!!!!

6. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Don't forget Section 8.

7. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    This is going to be a very interesting match-up. Both teams play a very simliar style of football and are very similiar in make-up and composition. This is the line-up that I would put out on Sunday afternoon and I'll explain why:

--------Onstad--------

Roner--Robinson--Agoos--Dunivant

Mullan--Ekelund--Mulrooney--Corrales

---DeRosario-----Donovan---

Why this line-up?

This is simple. Speed. Chicago has alot of it. If you start Agoos at left back, you're just asking to be killed by Damani Ralph and DaMarcus Beasley. Dunivant is rested and focused and would give us much more speed out of the back. Besides, we need Agoos' organizing influence in the middle of our defense. Roner's inclusion is his ability to get involved with the offense, and he does have slightly more speed than Waibel (albeit, Waibel is a better defended in my opinion.)

The only real flaw in this line-up is left mid. We just don't have anyone to match up with Beasley. This may be a problem, but Chicago may have the same problem with Mullan and DeRosario on the right.

Since Chicago plays a style of football similiar to our own, they match up almost exactly with our team. Let me demonstrate:

Chicago's probable line-up for Sunday 11/23:

--------Thornton--------

Whitfield--Curtin--Bocanegra--Perez

Williams--Marsch--Armas--Beasley

-----Razov-----Ralph-----

Ralph v. DeRosario - Both creative speedsters. DeRosario has the experience but Ralph has more speed and more flair - Advantage? Fire

Razov v. Donovan - Among the best forwards in the league. Razov is more consistent, but Donovan always shows up in big games and just has more talent - Advantage? Quakes

Beasley v. Corrales/Lagos - Enough said. - Advantage? Fire

Marsch v. Ekelund - This should be an interesting match-up. Both players act as holding midfielders, both have the same haircut, and both are built the same. This should be very fun to watch. Marsch has been more consistent this season though - Advantage? Fire

Armas v. Mulrooney - Another epic match-up. Armas has played like a madman recently, as has Mulrooney. Given recent form its close but given his experience and heart, Armas might have to get the nod - Advantage? Fire

Williams v. Mullan - Williams has been inconsistent this season to say the very least but his form of late has been excellent. Mullan however, just has more heart. His speed will give Chicago's defenders fits all afternoon - Advantage? Quakes

Perez v. Dunivant - Dunivant has played better all season. Perez is perhaps Chicago's weakest link and should be exploited by the Quakes. He is good for some nice long-range shots but Dunivant should be rested and ready to go if he gets the call - Advantage? Quakes

Curtin v. Robinson - Another really intriguing match-up. These two are the most underrated central defenders in the league. They're both tall with average speed and both of them are good at neutralizing the opponent's attacks. I expect a strong battle in the back from both of them, but Robinson hasn't quite gotten the minutes he's need this season - Advantage? Fire

Bocanegra v. Agoos - This is hard because each offer totally different attributes. Bocanegra has the talent and the athleticism, Agoos the heart and leadership. If I had to defend against the Fire's potent offense, I'd want Bocanegra on my side of the ball, but if I needed a central defender for a big game it'd be Agoos - Advantage? Quakes

Whitfield v. Roner/Waibel - Whitfield has had a pretty good season this year, making nice runs and serving good crosses into the area. He's been criticized by Chicago's fans on numerous occasions this season, but he offers more than either Roner or Waibel - Advantage? Fire

Thornton v. Onstad - Onstad has been good this season and Thornton's been relatively untested in this post-season, but he's been in this situation before - Advantage? Fire

Overall, the Fire have a slight advantage, but if this list is any indication, these two teams are very evenly matched. It should be a good game and a fun one to watch. I predict a 2-1 scoreline favoring either team. It should be an open, end-to-end game. Here's to hoping Yallop puts out the right line-up on Sunday!

8. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    CQF

you don't give this team enough credit...besides Mullan will be handling Beasley not Coralles! you got your sides tangled up...Williams will be against Coralles.

As far as the middle of the park goes, we get the creative edge, which, in all honesty, means more in a game like this.

Armas may be a better defender than Mulrooney, but he doesn't provide the same offensive threat.

And Ekelund, while no defender, certainly will be on Marsh's bulls eye, but our Danish vet is more than capable of putting a through ball past Marsh.

Up top Dero always gives the teams fits because of his great combination play with our midfield tandem and Donny boy. He is really going to be pushing Curtin all around the park...because the Donovan Bocanegra matchup in the end will come down to legs.

Mullan can hang with Beasley because he is going to make him defend. If beasley is on the defensive then he's less likely to be in position to spearhead or join in attacks early if at all.

This game will be won on the wings.

oh and don't forget, the Fire have not had a real test of character match...they haven't had to show they were a stronger team mentally as well as tactically or individually...Quakes have done that in the past two games!

if this comes to a test of character, well then I think the fire could be a bit intimidated by our recent run of results/fortune/and determination.

3-2

DeRo 10
    Mullan 49
    Donovan 89

Razov 30
    Williams 75

9. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA

Are you suggesting that Yallop will start Mullan at left mid, a position he hasn't played all season?

True, but not by much. The real misconception is that Ekelund plays as an attacking/creative midfielder, and this just isn't true. His job is the same as Marsch's: win balls in the middle, hold them, and send them forward.

Did you watch the Eastern Conference Final Friday night? If you had (and maybe you did but didn't notice) you would have noticed that Armas was superman out there. He was everywhere over the field, serving balls forward and being in the right place at the right time. He's been doing that all season.

His advantage over Mulrooney isn't by much. It may be only a slight advantage based on experience. I think that Mulrooney will become a better player than Armas is, but Armas has him beat (ever-so-slightly) right now.

I gave the edge to Marsch based on consistency this season. It'll be a great match-up to watch.

Again, I gave Ralph the edge only because he's got a significant match-up. His speed will be paired against our defenders. DeRo not only isn't as fast but Chicago's defenders are quicker than ours. It is, again, a very close and balanced match-up.

Again, unless Yallop starts Mullan on the left, this match-up won't really exist, or will to only a limited extent. I think you're forgetting that Mullan plays on the right and Beasley on the left.

Absolutely right. I agree 100%, and let's also not forget that the winner will be the team that wins the central midfield battle. That's why I really underscored the importance of the Marsch-Ekelund, Armas-Mulrooney match-ups.

Chicago has a great mentality coming into this game and throughout the playoffs. The Earthquakes have the emotional momentum. They may be tired and hurt, but they'll battle hard against a healthy, strong Chicago squad. I'm really excited, it's going to be fun to watch, but that's why it's so hard to predict the winner.

10. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Err, you do realize that one teams left mid lines up against the other teams right mid... right?

11. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

Yes that's correct.

12. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Yes, my mistake. However, my original analysis was extended to position. In that regard (and I don't think you'd disagree), Beasley beats Corrales/Lagos hands down.

13. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

Luckily we don't have to worry about that :)

14. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    Re: Chicago - San Jose MLS Cup 2003 (Sunday, 11/23) pregame thread

Absolutely right. I think some of those who read my post got the wrong impression. I wasn't suggesting that San Jose has no chance against Chicago but that these teams, in fact, are just so well matched (except at left mid.)

15. lgsoccerchic66

lgsoccerchic66 New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Los Gatos

The biggest thing I see here is there are breaks in our defense where we just do not mark, and THAT is when the opponent scored. With the kind of attack Chicago can work, that could be a problem. Although I have to say the Fire's defense doesn't exactly shine.

The thing about us is that we are so patient and wait until we can serve that ball on a silver platter and create a chance worth taking vs. just taking it up the line and crossing it. We pass around a little until we find the perfect shot. The 'Quakes work best when they're going full speed. I don't know how the Chicago D will handle that...hopefully FY works on marking tight in practices this week.

16. lgsoccerchic66

lgsoccerchic66 New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Los Gatos

Correction: that is when the opponent scoreS

17. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    i can't wait to hear what the pundits have to say about this one...somehow i fancy 3/4 people favouring the fire in this match. however i'm curious to see what many will point to as keys to the game/matchups and possible scorelines....

18. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    my thing was this about that match...you could see chicago getting increasingly frustrated when they couldn't get the breakthrough...and then the Revs came close (if Twellman were in they'd have finished at least 2 of those chances) to snatching the game, undeservingly, from underneath the Fire's noses.

It just seems to me that the fire are so used to doing what they want on the pitch offensively that they are easily frustrated by teams that defend well. basically i think the quakes have the mental edge in this match because we're not easily upset or frustrated or deterred from what we need to do to win...and not saying chicago is...but they show signs of it at times...

oh, and the fire are a team that is younger than the quakes over all, i think the savvy that comes from experience will also help us against the likes of ralph and curtin especially.

neither team has many weaknesses to exploit...however i feel that chicago are vulnerable on the counter as the revs showed...san jose are deadly in transition...and if the quakes score on the fire against the run of play, i don't remember seeing them, the fire that is, showing enough resilience or maturity to battle back from a heavy psychological blow.

if san jose can manipulate our left wing and neutralise theirs and be deadly fast and precise on counters, i see a calculated victory mentally against the fire that could expose them further to the counter and settle the match midway through the second half.

(this is of course not overturning my previous prediction in anyway) :D

19. lindsey

lindsey New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA

does anyone know why todd dunivant didn't play at all on saturday night? if you do, please let me know!

20. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

Yallop wanted the same starting eleven as the game with LA. It's still a bit of a mystery as to why Dunivant didn't play in the game with LA but maybe Franky just wants to save him to use with Chicago.

21. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU

tactical decision by FY, he wanted his biggest and fastest bodies in the centre of the defence whilst still keeping our captain on the field.

22. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA

I think the defense we saw in the last two games is the defense Frank Yallop has wanted to start all season but wasn't able to because of injuries.

Dunivant was an unbelievable surprise, but now gets pushed aside because Frank finally has his first choice defense available.

23. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Quakes Starting 11

Here's my guess:

Onstad

Waibel Robinson Dayak Agoos

Mullan Ekelund Mulrooney Lagos/Corrales

Donovan DeRo/Walker

Why mess with a winner? Same starting defense, with the only changes maybe with Lagos making way for Corrales (if Corrales is healthy), and DeRo coming in for Walker (if DeRo is healthy).

As for the game, it should be very entertaining. Both teams will attack, both teams are possession-style, intelligent, and have good players all over the field.

The Quakes seem to like being the underdogs, so that might be a slight advantage heading into the game. But the defense must play tighter; Chicago will punish any sloppiness.

We're driving down for the game; can't wait!

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Considering that Chicago is the higher-seeded team, they'll undoubtedly be allowed to wear their home red uniforms.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Question is, will the Earthquakes be made to wear their road white uniforms, or will they be allowed to wear their blue/black home uniforms? :confused:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It would be pretty cool to see both teams wear their home uniforms, but are they considered too "similar" to each other (which would be strange, since they're completely different colors from each other)?

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

25. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    Re: Quakes Starting 11

walker isn't physical enough to really bully his way for balls or to get into the box and get on the end of things...we already have one speedy finesse striker in Donovan...

Derosario brings that unpredictability and physical side to the game that Donovan doesn't...besides, Dero has earned it just as much as anyone on this side.