Chicago Road Trip: July 4

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Apr 17, 2006.

1. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Didn't know about the construction, but you're right, the direct one is a lot faster usually. That St. Louis one stops at a bunch of Missouri towns on the way.

Last year they had like a buy one get one free deal running for a long time.

2. ericb7694

ericb7694 New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Osnabrueck, Germany
    Club:
    VfL Osnabrück
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got my room in Bridgeview reserved for the night of the 4th. Planning on flying there on the 4th and leaving the morning of the 5th.

3. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i suggest to all that you come for at least one more day

the taste of chicago is going on all week long in grant park
    they celebrate the 4th on the third on the lake in front of grant park

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am tentatively in. I have a few things to figure out. But I might just be able to swing this.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Ben we gonna be doing the hotel like most road trips and try to book as a group or what? Cause we'll need to get groups of people together for those rooms won't we?

6. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we booked a hotel at grant park...the best western at grant park...we may be able to change it ...it is a little bit expensive but its where i want to stay at (its downtown not by the stadium)
    and pretty nice

7. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember correctly the semi final of the world cup is also on the 4th.

8. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    My plan was to locate a hotel close to the stadium and try to set up group rates. I hope to do this soon and we can start getting rooms together after that.

Also, Jeff mentioned the idea of renting a large van to drive there in. It could hold around 12 people. Anyone interested in that?

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    BUMP!

This sort of died in the middle of last week.

McGinty, how many do you think will go from the Lawrence crew?

We need others to join in! Don't be shy if you've never traveled before. It's a piece of cake and a great time.

10. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, if people need to do the one or two day turnaround (which really isn't all that bad), Chicago's an easy roadtrip.

My sister runs an Enterprise, and I can get 12 passenger vans to Chicago unlimited mileage for 100 bucks a day. The only catch is it cant go through Iowa because of liability laws on vehicles of that size or something. It would be a KC-St.Louis-Chicago drive.

If we had 12 poor college kids to fill one up, I figure it would be around 30-35 dollars a person to get there and back. A game ticket too, and the whole thing is probably 50-60.

A stop could probably be made in St. Louis or Columbia to pick people up on the way.

If there is enough interest from people wanting to do it quick and cheap, I'll set it up.

11. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Also, the World Cup semifinal starts at 1:55 on ESPN that day. We could get up there before then and all watch it somewhere.

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I am flying, and will be staying at a hotel near the airport which is also very close to the stadium. I will provide the hotel details once I get my room booked, hopefully with some group rate discounts.

If anyone wants to travel with Matt and I, we're flying Southwest, contact me ASAP as I'll be making the purchase sometime this week.

13. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Just a quick search of the immediate area around the stadium and airport shows that there is no shortage of bars in the area. I'm going to talk with a guy about hotel rooms today that the Fire provided. When I do so I'll ask about a bar he'd recommend. I'll then contact them and try to set something up for watching the WC Semifinal before we go to the Wizards game.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this list up to date Ben?

15. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben, count me in for 2 tickets.

16. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Updated:

Ben
    Matt
    Jason
    Kathie
    Jeff + 2
    Roush + 1-3
    Redfood + 2-3
    McGinty
    Mike K.
    Eric B.
    Alex + 1-3
    Stu
    Beth
    James
    Katy
    Mark

We're around 25 or so. That's pretty good if you ask me. Let's get up to 50!!!

17. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am definitely in now, I am kinda looking at the quick turnaround so maybe interested in the van or riding with someone with a larger vehicle than my bug.

But I would drive if necessary. I do wanna get there in time for the WC semi final earlier in the day.

18. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Oh, it's on now Chicago. We're bringing our own crazy European!!! And he'll kick all your Polish asses! :D

I apologize in advance Mark if this causes you to get in a fight. :)

19. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I just got off the phone with the guy about the hotels. I will post the information on Thursday or Friday, when the rooms can be booked. We are staying at the Midway hotel campus, which is where the team is staying. We won't be in the team hotel, but they are all close so if we want we can venture over there.
    If you want to stay there, hold off on booking a room for a couple days until I can release the info.

You now have until JUNE 5 to buy a ticket and JUNE 20 to reserve a hotel room.

Let's go people!!!

20. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the same place my family stayed at a couple of years ago it's a good location. Take your hotel's courtesy van to Midway and pick up the Orange Line train and you'll be downtown for around $1.75.

21. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    June 20 will be the same deadline to get a van together.

22. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LOL. It all depends who England is playing in the WC semi final that day whose arse I kick ;)

23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am seriously considering making this my family's summer vacation. Thinking about the following:

July 2 Drive from Tulsa to KC, stay overnight somewhere

July 3 Take Amtrak from KC to Chicago on the Southwest Chief, get there about 3:30 pm, go to that Grant Park by the lake 4th celebration thingy that night

July 4 The game!

July 5 Spend another day in Chicago, watch WC on TV

July 6 or 7 Amtrak back to KC, drive back to Tulsa

That would be 5 tickets for me, my wife, and my three kids. Gotta run it past the wife first, though... :D

24. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Just let me know and I'll add you on.

25. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait to see what kind of a hotel deal you worked out.