NSR: CHICAGO Political Thread ***HIGHLY TOXIC - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK***

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by skinut, Nov 12, 2016.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    May his son deal with his father expeditiously, like he has with his constituents.

xtomx and harrylee773 repped this.
  2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just read that story.

From the WGN article about his statement:

"This matter was the subject of a completed investigation,” Vallas’s statement reads. “Gus Vallas was found not to have engaged in any violations of policy or procedure and has since returned to full duty.”

'No violation of policy or procedure'...but the guy is still dead. Weak ass response.

I honestly don't have the strength tonight to go on another rant about extrajudicial police killings. The police have won and Vallas proves it. No accountability required or, really, necessary. They can kill with near impunity.

3. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    #5628 bunge, Feb 15, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    How many neighborhoods were destroyed to [have] the one to be rebuilt? No one wants their labor to make someone else a billionaire but business and government (a base requirement of fascism) work to make this so. Why do police beat up striking workers but not owners that lock workers out?

Idiots think capitalism is some sort of “natural order” but it’s held in place by government force. Fascism.

EDIT: Oh, look:

https://apnews.com/article/biden-pr...apitol-siege-07b606c578399a4e24cc382a17f6f470

4. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe I'm not being clear enough on how these programs work. A real life example from my time there:

A group of 5 women from the neighborhood asked for a loan to buy an oven/griddle? to make their families empanadas, thinking the org was a pure cash delivery NGO. The director met with them and helped them create a plan to purchase a new oven and finance enough materials to create double the empanadas they needed personally. They sold the extra empanadas and actually made loan payments out of their profits daily. The women ended up with the empanadas they needed and a decent profit. The women introduced the finance team to another woman who was a seamstress. The first group had wanted to use some of their profits for new school clothes for their kids (school was starting soon). The org financed a newish sewing machine and dying equipment for like $300. Suddenly that woman's capacity went way up and prices down. More people could afford the clothes and she made a good profit daily while working less. I found out later she took the extra she was making and financed her son's idea for a new general store (the neighborhood had been a food desert with approximately 30% of the population living off scraps from the local dump... This snowballed for a few years. By the time I visited again, the residents had used local tax revenues from the new businesses to fund a new school, build a community center/soccer field/basketball courts, etc. All this with local labor. Crime fell dramatically to the point the beighborhood became one of the safer ones in the city. Capitalism can be a powerful force for good, but needs proper regulation and safety nets.

Martininho repped this.
  5. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I love Kiva!

[​IMG]

GHjelm repped this.
  6. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Love it. It's important to remember that money is a tool. You want to build something, you need a hammer. That said, why would you want 400 hammers? Especially considering you could give 200 hammers away, still have more than you'll ever need and help 200 other people also build something they need.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  7. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    “Billionaires cause hoboes, and hoboes make billionaires. Yet both cuss the other and say they are wrong. But personally I rather trust the hoboes. Most of what I know I learned from the kids and the hoboes.” -Woody Guthrie

Mac97 repped this.
  8. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Bunge’s most recent post is kind of how I feel about microloans in other countries - we can’t celebrate capitalism for giving the appearance of solving the problems capitalism created. The most violent neighborhood in the world doesn’t happen in a vacuum- billionaires being the cause “hobos” and all. And these corps choosing who to fund is just their way of creating more potential capitalists - if they’d just pay their taxes, there’d be a lot less need for people to get loans from them. Anyway, I’m not we’ll versed enough in the specifics of it all but hey, at least there’s been an apparent overall improvement in the way of life for people in one part of the world.

Somewhat related - the host of this is one of the more annoying people I’ve watched a video from (I don’t know why - his narrative style just strikes me as abrasive) and there’s plenty of hyperbole in it, but it does expose how the PR machine makes billionaires appear as warm and cuddly for doing shit that will ultimately result in more billions. I haven’t fact checked any of it, sorry- I have a bottle of wine and a new episode of The Last of Us to consume, but hey, it confirms my bias against billionaires so it has to all be 100% true - right?

Mac97, bunge and xtomx repped this.
  9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    No less than 20 election mailers in my mailbox over the past 48 hours. All but three of them related to my aldermanic race.

10. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    i'm in the 5th ward and i have no idea who i'm voting for for alderman

never been so uncertain so late in the game for any election that I can remember

11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Probably too late for your to declare and run, I suppose. :eek:;)

I just looked and the Hyde Park Herald has a very good series on the candidates.

Wow, what an uninspiring list of candidates. I find it hard to believe that that neighborhood would not have better candidates.

https://www.hpherald.com/evening_di...cle_b091c7a6-af24-11ed-a561-cfdaf02c3053.html
    (links to the candidate profiles in Paragraph 12 of the article)

I would say you should go with Robert Palmer. Might as well face it, he's Addicted to Love.

juicecrewallstar repped this.
  12. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    love the herald

Fuegofan repped this.
  13. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Piamonte has always been against the PGA golf course in Jackson Park. That, for me, may be the deciding factor in my vote. The O Center has done enough damage to the park. We shouldn't kick community folks out of the park just so high rollers can get an exclusive view of the Loop.

bunge and xtomx repped this.
  14. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    I ended up on Piemonte too

Fuegofan repped this.
  15. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    The golf course is gross.

xtomx and Fuegofan repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    All golf courses are gross

harrylee773 and bunge repped this.
  17. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    it is but I haven’t heard anything about it from the City or others in a while

hoping it’s a dead project

bunge repped this.
  18. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You should go to Palm Springs if you want to be sickened by golf courses.

xtomx repped this.
  19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I saw them in the deserts of Arizona and Vegas, that was enough. I have successfully avoided Palm Springs my entire life.

20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A dead project?
    George Carlin had a routine that two biggest wastes of land are gold courses and cemeteries. I say combine them. Make every gold course a dead project by turning cemeteries into gold courses. The gold course only needs holes a few inches deep so they won't disturb the dead. The dead are dead so they won't care if people in ridiculous outfits and little spiked shoes walk (or drive carts) over them.

All the rest of the golf course land can be turned into low income housing, saving some of the land for parks.

Everybody wins!

harrylee773 and bunge repped this.
  21. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The only thing that will get me to go there is Joshua Tree.

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The thing that got me to go to Arizona is I was paid to be there. I had a conference to attend.
    Other than that? Nah, I'm good.

23. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    i realize you're being facetious but grand canyon is the real deal

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  24. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Palm Springs is in southern California.

25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know.
    My point was that I have seen the "golf courses in the middle of the desert" in multiple states. I don't need to see them in Palm Springs, as well.
    They all piss me off.

Martininho repped this.