Chicago Fire Under New Ownership

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by PTFC in KCMO, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    RIP My Avatar because both people in it are now irrelevant.

2. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago
    Great news for the future of the Fire and MLS, 400 million valuation !!!! Also I wish Hauptmann the best , appreciate the fact that he invested in MLS at a time when it wasn't cool to invest in MLS. Keep in mind he didn't have to sell his share, but did. He could've stuck around for the ride and sell when valuation hit half a billion or more.

harrylee773 repped this.
  3. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is more or less how I feel. He really sucked as an owner and was pretty much in over his head for the last 12 years, but I don't hold any ill-will to the guy. I just don't think he had a clue what he was getting himself into when he bought in. Thank U next...

eddygee, harrylee773 and noel R repped this.
  4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He knew. Milk it until he can maximize profit.

Is the Fire Indoor Facility included in the sale b/c that isn't owned by the FIre, it's owned by Andy and co.

GHjelm and LIZZIE repped this.
  5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am a bit ambivalent about a name change.
    As for the crest, yes it's one of the best in American team sports, not just in the league.
    That said, if he wants to change it (and not something 'cartoonish'), I could be okay with it.

We are all so giddy in Chicago at the moment, that Mansueto could probably start an actual fire on the field we would be okay with it.

harrylee773, Mr. Bandwagon and superdave repped this.
  6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Money. Lots of money.

BalanceUT repped this.
  7. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What happens to Bridgeview stadium now?

I only ask because it is a nice stadium.

8. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With his pending divorce, he probably needs the money.

cchchaplain repped this.
  9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Stars
    XFL
    MLL
    USL
    Concerts

BalanceUT, rslfanboy, xtomx and 2 others repped this.
  10. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Are any of these things 100% for sure? Last I heard the USL team was not happening.

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fire is also staying there to use the training facility, which is supposed to get upgrades. Officially the lease was "amended", not bought out. Is is possible they might still play US Open Cup games in Bridgeview?

xtomx repped this.
  12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Village of Bridgeview stated they are "looking into" alternatives, including more concerts and events. They are trying to spin it a positive to give them "flexibility" with the venue.

We'll see.

Only the Red Stars.
    The "Chicago Machine" MLL team disbanded, but there is lacrosse played at the stadium on occasion.
    The Village officials (and, previously, AEG when they owned the club) really want the concerts to ramp up, but it is difficult, as there are so many venues around.
    XFL-we'll see if it's even around in a year, but Chicago might be an appropriate expansion city if it is.
    USL-dead for now. But knowing the amazing historical instability of USL/NASL/USL, etc., who knows?

There could also be:
    Rugby (which occurs on occasion there anyway).
    High school football championship games.
    Local college football games.
    USWNT games (which do occur there).
    USMNT games (which would be hysterical, if it happened).
    International club and national friendlies.
    Motor sports, like monster truck/demolition derby things (if they want to totally ruin the field)

We'll see about this.
    They are staying for training purposes (at least for now).
    As for US Open Cup, that depends on 1) the amended Bridgeview lease and 2) the Soldier Field lease.

When the Fire were originally at Soldier Field, they could play US Open games at other local venues. While at Bridgeview, they could not, at least without compensating Bridgeview.

sitruc repped this.
  13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I hadn't thought about that, but yeah, the Open Cup is a possibility. Not a lot of other secondary stadium options in Chicago, which explains some of the far-flung places they played USOC games in their first go around there.

14. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If you look at the hard things on the Don's to-do list, there would be a stadium in New York, a stadium in Miami, and renewing some of the original franchises, with Chicago at the top of the list. Things are moving forward, slowly.

TrueCrew repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #40 Bill Archer, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Considering that " getting the hell out of Columbus" has been at the top of Don's list since 2014, it's hard to say that hes riding a float in the "Ain't I Something?" Parade.

Nothing is settled in Miami, Nashville is increasingly problematical and as for Chicago, it's hard to sing hosannahs to the man who got then into the mess in Bridgeview in the first place.

16. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I understand that you guys take this personally, and I respect that, but I just don't see Columbus mattering that much in the scheme of things. It's more on Don's "whatever the owners want" list.

But I want to emphasize the "hard" part of my comment. Expansion is towards the top of his list, but in reality, it's pretty easy. They've got cities lining up to get in and so all they have to do is pick a few.

No disrespect to Nashville, but in or out, it's not going to be a big deal. On the other hand, fixing Chicago might be a big deal. And it's hard to do given the stadium situation; they needed to find someone to throw a lot of money at it, and I guess they did.

Same with New York. Getting a stadium built in the city would be a huge triumph, likely more important than any expansion team they can find, it's just a nearly impossible task. Which is why they found the richest people they could and ignored their expansion guidelines. Because it mattered that much.

superdave, TrueCrew, xtomx and 5 others repped this.
  17. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I was at the stadium today and needed a hat, and specifically got the one white one with the team crest in rainbow pride colors because when I had a navy hat with the crest on people mistook me for a fireman ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (which still could happen but I feel like the odds are a bit lower)

They likely won’t change the name as the word is Mansueto wants to keep it. The crest looks good but as a soccer teams badge it’s a little awkward, but if the name stays it’d be foolish to change it. The white stripe across the chest of the kit could work with the current name or a rebrand but it’s tough to envision a name change where it’s retained. If they’re going to change the name, there’s no better time to do it, otherwise, I feel like keeping everything (logo, colors, etc) the same is probably the best move.

18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Houston needs a change of ownership quick!

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  19. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    I am seeing the $400 million figure for the transaction on soccer message boards. But I haven't seen that figure in any published articles on the sale of the team. Where does that figure come from? Can someone provide a link?

20. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  21. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't find it, but will try to find it, but it said that Joe paid $204 million for the remaining 51%, so if you go by those number he probably paid around $200 million for 49% in 2018. Oh he also paid $65.5 million to buy out the Bridgeview lease.

So his total investment not including how much money he paid from the time he purchased 49% to when he bought the remaining 51% is $469.5 million.

We signed a 3 year lease (with a 8 year option) to play in Soldiers Field, hopefully that means that he's looking to build a SSS in the city (giving him 3 years to get it done).

22. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm sure that's on the list. Big city, downtown stadium, it should be doing better.

But it's hard to go around saying that publicly about any ownership group.

Potential Buyer: Hey Don, I'm looking for a team to buy. How about Houston, there seems to be room for improvement.

Don: You might think that; I couldn't possibly comment.

23. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is the rumor still that they'll play in Soldier Field temporarily until a North Side stadium is built?

Wonderful news though.

24. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has them looking at a spot on the south side, on the site of a former hospital. There was talk about a north side stadium for a USL team as part of a larger project, but the stadium part of the project was scrapped. The rumored site on the south side is less than two miles due south of Soldier Field, fwiw.

25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Good on y'all.

Hinchas still lame however.