Chicago Fire New Stadium (Photos)!!!!

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mouseboy33, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking about how Big Soccer geeks are going to be wetting the bed once they see the Frisco field with grid iron marks on it from high school football.

Everyone knew what Dragon Stadium looked like when they first started playing there.

Unfortunately, I think all too many posters are unaware that football will be played at the SSS in Frisco and as such are going to get their panties in bind.

Because of the direct tie to the school system in Frisco, I think this stadium will be the least "soccer specific" of the three that will be up and running next year.

Andy

2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Except that Frisco will be a grass field, not field turf and the football lines won't be permanent like they were in Dragon. Or like they are in Giants. We are the main tenants, not the High School teams. Remember, we are talking about 3 or 4 home games that will be effected. HS football doesn't start until late August.

3. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not disagreeing with you.

However, if you don't think people around here are going to spazz big time, then you are being a bit niave.

Andy

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Ohhh...you are right about that, I'm just trying to inform those that don't know about the differences. Another thing to remember, the FC Dallas FO will be running the field maintenance in Frisco. So they can control how the football lines are painted on and how quickly they are taken off. This wasn't the case at the Cotton Bowl or Southlake or Giants or Arrowhead. Also, right now Frisco has two HS football teams, and one stadium. Which is all they need. The two teams play alternating home games and it works out fine. There won't be a third high school in the city until 2007 and even then they won't field a varsity team until 2008. Only then will the school district actually NEED a second stadium. I have no doubt that they will want to play some of thier bigger games at the soccer stadium before then. But it won't be every weekend.

5. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even the HDC is not immune from armpitball lines. High school football is king in Texas, and there's no way the school district would be involved in the project if there weren't plans to play it there.

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    You are right...they will...when there is a third high school....just like I stated earlier. The ISD had $20 million budgeted already for a new football stadium BEFORE HSG ever approached Frisco with a stadium deal...I know, I voted on the bond package that gave them the money. They had this in the budget because they knew a third high school would be coming on line in a few years and would need it. So it was really a fantastic deal for them. Put in the 20 that they would have needed to spend anyway, and get a $65+ million professional grade stadium in return.

Yes high school football is king in Texas, but much more so in the rural areas that don't have big time professional sports available on a regular basis. Everyone watches/reads "Friday Night Lights" and thinks its that way all over the state. Frisco is a suburb of Dallas, the majority of those that have moved here in the last 10 years are NOT good ol' boy Texans. They are corporate relos from all over the country. Frisco's current HS football stadium is a bit smaller then the soccer stadium will be and they NEVER have a sold out game. Its a bit different here in the metroplex then it is the middle-of-nowhere West Texas.

7. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info Texgator! This was the first I heard of this. From all I had read I just assume there would be a game every weekend.

Andy

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Eventually it will be, just not right away. At least, not necessarily. It might end up being the fact, I just don't think it will.....and it doesn't have to be.

9. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    Underneath the Stevie Ray Vaughan Memorial Helipad in the Freddy Pascente End.

10. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dare you to say that 5 times fast without getting seasick :)

Andy

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yeah....after reading it I realized it was bit of the old mumbo jumbo.....I probably should have edited it.
    Maybe I should get a job as W.'s speech writer.

12. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well. Then I will have to remind some of these limosneros con garrote that even in Mexico, professional soccer teams have to share the stadium with an american football team, i.e., UNAM Pumas, etc.

El Chapulin Colorado

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen football lines in Monterrey as well. Don't know why.

14. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexicans and Mexican Americans don't necessarily dislike NFL football. I think it gets pretty good coverage on Univision & Telemundo.

But re: the gridiron lines...
    At Spartan Stadium they're now doing a really good job of removing the lines for soccer matches. I think a lot of it depends on if they have just a day or if they have an entire week to remove the chalk lines. But for the past few games, we've seen just a 'ghost' of the gridiron lines. It's actually kind of nice for helping judge the quality of the offside calls.

15. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Or you can just become a kept bitch and work for John Kerry's wife

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In many respects, Monterrey is Texas' southernmost big city. Football's bigger there than in most other parts of Mexico.

But yeah, Frisco's going to have football lines for some late season FC Dallas games. Big deal. It's the same thing that we had to deal with at the Cotton Bowl, once late September rolled around and they started marking up the field for the Prairie View-Grambling and the Texas-OU games.

As texgator pointed out, the difference lies in who's controlling the marking up now. For one thing, the field markings won't be too elaborate because there are two high schools playing varsity games there. For another thing, they have the option of using something a little less permanent for the lines.

As for Frisco being the less "soccer-specific" of all the new stadiums, I disagree. There will be 17 soccer fields surrounding Uncle Lamar's House of Whoop-Ass, and those fields will be in constant use, almost year-round. Between those fields and the stadium, there will be more soccer taking place at the Frisco Soccer and Entertainment Center than at any other stadium complex in the league.

About the same amount of money is being spent on ULHOWA and the yard that they're building in Chicago -- the neighborhood of $60-70 million. In Chicago they're going to have a roof, but no fields around the stadium. In Frisco, they're going to have fields around the stadium, but no roof. If you were to ask me what I'd rather have, I think I'd rather have the fields that tie the stadium to the community

Edit: Especially since those fields are big reason why the Frisco City Council and the Collin County Commissioners' Court approved the funding in the first place.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there are going to be two fields outside Bridgeview, isn't there? That's not a complex, obviously, but I thought there were going to be two fields. Maybe they didn't make it in.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and it worth remembering this:

While Frisco Independent School District gets to use the stadium free of charge for high school varsity football games and doesn't have to pay anything for the upkeep of the stadium, Hunt Sports Group still gets all of the revenues from concessions, parking, and such for those games.

19. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    There will be 2. That's one of the reasons we moved to the 71st street site. It was going to be a bear even getting one field in at 79th.

20. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also thought this. In fact wasn't this one of the reasons they recently switched sites?

Andy

21. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two fields in the picture :confused:

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected.

But my point stands. HSG is spending their money in different places, mostly because they made a commitment to the city and county to do so.

23. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're also wrong about where the money is being spent. The stadium in Chicago is being paid for by the City of Bridgeview. 100% of it. The fields/roof compromise you describe doesn't make any sense because there is no MLS money going into this stadium.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, if Bridgeview wants to spend their money in different places, more power to them.

But I'm just explaining why HSG made the choice that they did.

25. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very important point that many people seem to have missed on Big Soccer. apples and oranges

Andy