Chicago Fire game - August 24th

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Claret, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Claret

Claret New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Manchester, England
    Hi all,

I'm on vacation (from England) in NYC at the end of August. As a big footy fan, I thought I'd try and catch the game versus Chicago on 24th August.

Would I be wise to get to Nevada Smiths before the game and catch "The onion bag" express to the game ? (As per website instructions)

If yes - What time does the bus usually depart for Giants stadium ?

If no - What tips can you give me to get to the game, from Manhattan, relatively quickly and cheaply ?

Cheers,
    Up the Clarets/Metrostars !

2. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    You can take the NJ Transit in Times Square at the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Go up to the NJ Transit ticket window and ask for a round trip ticket to Giants Stadium. This will cost $7. Be sure to ask what gate to go to after they give you you're ticket. Buses depart two hours before game time. It's about a 15 minute bus ride.

3. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    ...to the entrance of the Lincoln Tunnel. ;)

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a weekend the NJT bus isn't a bad way to go, especially if you're staying in a Midtown hotel. The Bus Terminal is at 8th Avenue between 40th and 42nd Streets -- use the entrance between 40th and 41st to get to the ticket counters. You have to have a ticket (which you can only buy at the counters - not the automated machines) to ride the bus.

I have no experience with the Onion Bag bus.

Don't bother buying tickets in advance; you'll only get stuck paying a TicketBastard service charge unnecessarily. Metro games never sell out. Tickets at the stadium should run you $15-25, depending on where in the stadium you want to sit.

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

damn ....

once we get our own smaller stadium things may change

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Nevada Smith's still runs an Onion Bag express??

7. Claret

Claret New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Manchester, England
    According to the directions/transport page on the "stadium" site page - they do NYR Metros !

Anyway - thanks all for replies/tips.

Attendances are not that bad soccerfan - Lowest this season is 9k, but 20k+ on a few occaisons.

What's the stadium capacity for Metrostars games?

Are there any plans for your own smaller stadium being built ?

Looking forward to the game and my trip over the pond.

Laters,
    Claret.

8. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island

9. CrazyG

CrazyG New Member

Dec 19, 1998
    Manahawkin, NJ
    Actually, the stadium capacity is 80,000, but the capacity for Metros games is somewhere around 25,000.

They are planning on building a 25000 seat stadiumn *crossing fingers* (for the 2006 season)*crossing fingers*

The Chicago games are usually the best ones. Always fun.

See ya there.
    G

10. nedy

nedy New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Jersey City, NJ
    Claret check your private messages