Chicago Cubs of Soccer?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by olckicker, Oct 15, 2003.

1. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    If Man U are the New York Yankees of Soccer, which club if any can be called the Chicago Cubs of Soccer?

Examples:
    -club which hasn't won league or cup for decades
    -2nd tier club which hasn't reach top division for decades
    -clubs which come close to winning league, cup or promotion but lose because something "weird" happens

2. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Does Birmingham City have any competitors for this title?

3. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham
    Before this season I would have said Chelsea. A big City club one league title in the 1950`s, expensive season tickets. Cubs 3-0 down.

4. RobB

RobB New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Birmingham

Birmingham deserve a mention for their trophy winning average of 1 per 1.2 Centuries. That`s a low average by any standards.

5. leftwing

leftwing Member

Dec 9, 1999
    Lake Bluff, Il
    the essence of cubdom is you have to have sucked for a very long time, but you also have to have huge backing from your fans. Schalke comes to mind.

6. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they don't win a trophy for another 30 years, Manchester City could qualify as well.

7. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    Don't forget the "curse". Cubs lost series 4-3, blowing 3-1 lead.

8. Isisbud

Isisbud New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Encinitas
    Baseball sucks SS. That's my opinion.

Go to ESPN message boards if you want to talk about Cubs sentimentality.

9. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Shaddap. That's my opinion.

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tottenham.

We have always had a big fan base, bigger than Chelski's coincidentally, although they've since 'mysteriously' gained a whole lot of new fans since Roman came on board with his Soviet blood money.

We've also not won a league title in decades, although we've had years of near misses, i.e. 1987 when we should have won it but always missed out on doing anything significant due to a permanent injury 'curse', Falklands War (cost us Ardiles and Villa) and also stupid business plans which meant we had to sell great players (Hoddle, Waddle, Gascoigne). In 1987 in particular we could have gone on to be a great side for years under David Pleat, but for his curb crawling antics which cost him his job.

11. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Liverpool

12. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Go to hell. Don´t even drag the Cubs down to a "soccer" level.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Re: Re: Chicago Cubs of Soccer?

Calm down dude, there's always next season.

14. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well, it hasn't been quite so long since Tottenham won the league, at least not when compared to the near century of the Chicago Cubs.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You mean the Liverpool that has won the more trophies than any other English club and were arguably the best team in Europe from mid-70s to mid-80s, or are you thinking of some other Liverpool?

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Your knowledge of the history of English soccer is astounding by its utter absence.

Schalke is a good one: Anyone who was at the stadium that day in May of 2001 when they thought they'd won the Bundesliga, then on the bigscreen TV Bayern gets a questionable free kick in the closing seconds of the match, then the ball deflects oddly into the net giving Bayern the title and gutting the Schalke fans, many of whom had already started celebrating, anyone seeing that would conclude, "yeah, that's Cub-like."

17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bayer Leverkusen!
    The perennial DFB loser.

Schalke did win the UEFA cup in 1994 or thereabouts.

1860 Munich?

Or how about Aberdeen? God knows when they won last.

Or if you want to go on a national level....
    SPAIN!

18. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    To me cursed is more Boston Red Sox since they are more often in contention when wierd things happen, while the Cubs are more about ineptitude and the fact that the fans don't care as long as they can get drunk and a nice tan during the games.

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The current Liverpool.

20. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    In soccer it's harder to have a team like the Cubs because of relegation. It means if you're pathetic you either go down and keep going down or you just seesaw back and forth, in which case you're alternating periods of losing with periods of winning. So it's hard to find a team that would be a very good example of a Cubs-like team.

From what I've picked up, it seems that England's answer to the Cubs is West Ham. It seems like they're the butt of a lot of jokes.

21. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Brazilian club Cruzeiro. They have even won World Championships in the 70's and Libertadores and Copas do Brasil. BUT NEVER have they won the Brazilian Championship. BUT they are 12 points ahead of everyone this year with 10 games to go. They may just break the Tabu.

22. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    I felt sorry for the Cubs fan who messed everything up though, apparently he couldnt even go to work the next day, and there were reporters surrounding his house, and he had 40 death threats trying to leave the stadium. Here for the Marlins to win it, with luck like that they will do!!

23. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    In germany teams like dynamo dresden, leipzig or fürth come to my mind.... They have all been champion before... long long times before.... but i guess to be a real cubs-duell youd have to have a chance to win today....
    Maybe Hertha?! They are pretty big but still suck....
    Schalke isnt good. they won the european cup in 97....

On international basis only one team comes to my mind!

E N G L A N D ! ! ! !

I mean they only once won something (very questionable), its a long time ago, they think they are good, they have fans, yet, they suck.....

24. burn357

burn357 New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    the mothership
    i would have to say that the National Team that i think of when i think of the Cubs is the Italian Nt of the 90s and now of this century.
    1990 WC- they lose on pks to argentina in semis
    1994- the lose to brazil on pks in championship match
    1998- they lose to france on pks in quarterfinals
    2000- they lose to france in extra time in the Euro championship final(italy was winning when a defensive blunder with 20 seconds left let france score the tying goal)
    2002- italy controversially loses to korea in extra time in the second round. italy's tommasi scored the game winning goal in 112 minute but it was disallowed by a nonexistent offsides call(again)
    2004-?????

italy could have just as easily won all the major tournaments in the 90s as they lost them!

25. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Of course "the current" side haven't won anything because the season is only 2 months old. Duh.

If by "current", you mean "recent", well it's kinda stupid to call a club "the soccer version of Chicago Cubs" based on its recent history, when the Cubs' identity comes from decades of futility. Especially when you consider that they have collected more hardware than ManU over the past 2 years.

Either way, stupid.