Chicago can clinch SS this Saturday

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by HalaMadrid, Oct 13, 2003.

1. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Should we defeat Colorado at home and SJ lose to LA at the HDC, we can clinch the Shield this Saturday and the regular season championship via the tiebreaker which goes to us.

2. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The only problem is that I have never depended on anyone in San Jose to do anything. :p

3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Do we really have to root for LA?

Ugh.

4. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At this point I honestly root for a swarm of meteors hitting the stadium. That failing, I'm all about another tie.

5. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Tie Breakers

Though the first tie breaker in the Conference race is Head to Head, I believe for the League title, the tie breaker is goal difference, so the final week of the season will be important.

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I'll be there rooting for LA.

Ugh.

7. Fireman

Fireman Member

Mar 2, 2000
    Upper Deck
    Re: Tie Breakers

For the supporters shield it's still standard MLS tiebreaking procedures. The procedures are posted at http://www.mlsnet.com/about/regulations/

TEAM-STANDINGS TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
    The team awarded the highest position in the MLS standings will be the team with the greatest number of points as determined by the point system. Ties will be broken according to the following system (NOTE: If two clubs remain tied after first club advances during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format):

1) The highest position shall be awarded to the team with the better win/loss record in current regular season games against all other teams equal in points. (head-to-head competition)

2) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the greater goal difference against all other teams during the regular season. (goal differential)

3) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team scoring the greatest number of total goals against all other teams during the regular season. (total goals)

4) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played on the road by each team against all other teams during the regular season. (road 1-3)

5) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the procedures described in this section shall be applied only to games played at home by each team against all other teams during the regular season. (home 1-3)

6) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position shall be awarded to the team with the fewest team disciplinary points during the regular season.

6) If the teams are still equal in the standings, the highest position in the standings shall be determined by the toss of a coin.

8. AriesFlame

AriesFlame New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Don't worry about it. Just take a shower afterwards. If you still feel dirty, consult a member of the clergy or psychological counselor.

9. ehend

ehend New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Villa Park
    Re: Re: Tie Breakers

Ah ha, much like the last election.

10. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What´s our goal differential vs. that of SJ? I´m too lazy to look that stuff up.

not that it matters. we are bringing a new meaning to the term "triple threat" ... and part of what I´m talking about is us winning games.

11. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    The regular season title is nice and all, but that would mean nothing to me if they don't win the MLS championship. The Blackhawks won the president's trophy in 1991 only to lose in the first round of the playoffs to a team that had 66 points in the regular season. So much for that.

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Sssssshhhhhhhhh.

Do not ever mention that again. :(

13. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    okay, but suppose we do win MLS cup... wouldnLt it be all the better to also have the SS in our possession?

its not like if we win the SS then we automatically will lose to a crappy team in the playoffs. actually, winning the SS would seem to be a good indication that we are playing well going into the playoffs. I realize that it happens that I team can win a mid-season trophy and then lose before they get to the real trophy... but thats more of a well-publicized exception than the rule. you hear about those stories because the fans are disappointed when a team fails after doing so well.... you dont hear about the times that teams win a mid-season and final trophy because at that point everyone only talks about the final trophy.

14. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Not a completely equal comparison since the Shield has carried some weight in the past in terms of qualifying for international competition.

with the change in format it's anyone's guess what the deal is now, but sewing up the shield isn't going to hurt matters.

15. jdm2662

jdm2662 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Hillside, IL
    Didn't say it's going to hurt matters, but if they don't win the championship, well?? It's nice to have another banner to look at when I go to Solider Field, but if i had to choose between the league title or the regular season title, I will take the league title. Ask Cubs fans what they think about their division title now.