Chester Stadium Planning (Philly-Trade Magazine)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by celt1997, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ReneGoulet

ReneGoulet New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    All of these quotes in the paper, magazines, now this. I'm seeing the big picture now ;)

2. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have a tailgate section that's next to a pub, riverside. Tell them to build us one.

3. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's already on the request list

4. SidFarkus

SidFarkus New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    New Jersey
    Let's be clear. That is the ONLY reason. There is no other reason for building a stadium there.

5. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it you're not a fan of the location. But, either you haven't been paying attention to any of the many previous answers to this question, or you just can't resist hyperbole in service of your point. Sure, the Chester waterfront is comparatively cheap, but there are even cheaper parcels out there. As a former Chester resident, I can tell you there's likely even cheaper land elsewhere in Chester.

You can't ignore the abundant and easy transportation access as a reason. Also, compared to other MLS stadiums, it's much closer to the regional population center. And, as stated before, the political reality strongly favors Chester as a location.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and if it doesn't happen, beege and i will be purchasing/renovating the Love People Lounge (and yes, OKT, i'm being sarcastic :p )

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Great, now you guys have to deal with the doubters like we do in St. Louis. :confused:

Bryan - you are absolutly correct. That's one of the things I love about Cooper's plan in Collinsville.

As always, wishing you guys the best.

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and that st louis gets a team before philly.

:p

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

The IS the best - isn't it?

Actually, the "best" for me would be that St. Louis gets a team before Philly - by about 3 minutes. Here's to both being named at MLS Cup (or before).

10. bouncingsoul44

bouncingsoul44 New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree with you there man, I'd much rather see Philly and St. Louis than any other combination right about now, we've both been in the same boat for a while. Plus, we're both trying to get stadiums built, which will no doubt be better than Qwest.

So yeah, cheers to that.

11. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Chester Stadium RFQ Advertised in Trade Magazine (Philly)

Time to get my toolbelt out!!!

12. SidFarkus

SidFarkus New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    New Jersey
    Like I said, since it's the only real choice. I'm okay with it. However, it's not optimal no matter how anyone tries to spin it. The "right" place for the stadium is in South Philadelphia with the rest. I understand why that doesn't appear to be possible and why we have to settle for Chester. I will never "like" the fact that it's in Chester. I'll settle for it.

The problem is that only Soccer hardcores will settle for it. I fear that no one else will care about some soccer team in Chester.

13. Riverplatephilly

Riverplatephilly New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Ambler, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The news about the stadium looks encouraging, keep 'em coming.

Great to share the passion for the "beautiful game" with the Sons of Ben.

The funny thing is I didn't even know you guys existed until a few weeks ago!!!

Anyone see that stupid article on FoxSoccer.net yesterday stating that soccer in this country was "on life support?" Pure BS Again keep me posted.

Does anyone know how we're faring relative to the rest of the potential expansion cities?

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess its a horse race with St Louis and Seattle for 2 seats at the table.

That is, to get in by 2010.

15. PJBrian10

PJBrian10 New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Center City Philly

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cheap, accessible land within the greater Philly metro area. Its' a place that the MLS investors can really contribute to redeveloping the area. A place where the city, county and local state leaders are very friendly to the investors and are pro-soccer.

How's that? :)