Cherundolo: HSV v. H96, 12-4 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Albright has improved more than anyone in the pool IMO. I admit I used to totally bag on him, but his acceptance, actually embracement of the RB spot has resurrected his career. If he continues to improve don't be surprised if he's our 2006 RB.

2. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    BTW, I was just watching icehockey in tv.
    Stevie was the special guest during the 2nd intermission.
    They showed both his goals he scored this year and talked with him for about 5 minutes about his season, California, the USNT and his future in the league.
    He was aked if he was in contact with Schalke.
    He said he wasn’t and that his he would like to stay another 3 years.

(Well, why not just sign the contract? ;)

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though you are correct on all of your points, the vast peanut gallery here won't listen to you, despite being shown reams of evidence that refute their positions. Welcome to BigSoccer. :D

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Good news imo, and you know the contract is about €$€ ;-)

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which must be why it was Holland and not Germany I saw in the finale in 2002.

Oh, it was NOT the sublimely "talented" Dutch, who couldn't even make it? It was the tough, stolid Germans who were #2?

Huh. Imagine that.

Height is less important in soccer than basketball (obviously) but also hockey, football, and baseball, because a taller player can support more muscle mass. But anyone thinking height doesn't matter SOME in soccer is someone who has taken a faux hip position on the issue and just won't give it up. They're like people who try to tell you that Marilyn Manson is a subversive, talented band.

6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It is true however that height alone isn't the issue. Height/strength/leaping ability/timing combine to give a player his ability to win headers on the flank or to defend well for high balls coming into a crowded box. There were games in the past for the Nats where Stevie was a liability because he was being manhandled in those situations. But it sounds like he continues to improve his whole game and I'm sure he will get a lot more chances with the NATS. The more players we have seriously competing for right back the better, IMO.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dolo has always been one of my favorites but I've always thought that at the international level he kinda gets lost in the shuffle. It has nothing to do with his size but playing skills. He's a solid (not star) defender but has good ball skills and is fairly adapt at moving forward. I personally would like to see him on the wings using a 3-5-2. Maybe like this:

-------------------------------GK------------------------------------

----Onyewu-------------------Pope-------------------------Bocanegra

Dolo-------------------------Reyna----------------------------Lewis

---------------DMB--------------------------LD--------------------

--------------McBride------------------------Johnson------------------

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    To disagree with an amateur Dr. Freud here (homoerotic fascination with size?), size matters if you're going to heavily rely on a long ball from the back and crosses into the box. The US does both of those things offensively, Holland doesn't as a rule and, if they do, they'll bring in a van Hooijdonk - or a Naninga from the old days. There's your size.

Defensively, the Dutch will try to stop the ball before it gets a chance to be pumped into the box but, IMO, they do have problems stopping size defensively (has Stam gotten around Koller yet?).

The US does have a capability to field big sized central defenders (Pope, Gibbs, Onyewu) to stop others from taking advantage of their smaller wing-backs like 'Dolo.

As to Germany, their highest scoring games took place when Klose partnered with Jancker upfront and Ballack lurking nearby. That gave them 3 tall powerful players in the vicinity. Jancker didn't score much but took on two top defenders - a typical power forward - allowing Klose to mop up on freebes. When Rudi took Carsten out for Oliver Neuville, it left Klose alone in the box and he was effectively double-teamed.

Does this mean the US should go twin tower against the CONCACAF minnows?

I think it may be a good idea.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Albright will not be our RB in 2006 (I pray anyway). He has now had two plus years at outside right in a 5 and/or RB in a four and he is still not even the best outside back on the Gals. He does contribute to the offense, but at the expense of the D.

I like the guy. I wish I could say I think he is national team good there, but I don't, 'cause he isn't.

10. DutchOven

DutchOven Red Card

Nov 16, 2004
    Because the US crosses alot (according to you), Dolo needs to be tall? I assure you, a Dutch player was never picked ahead of another player because of his standing height. If we need an aerial game, we put Kluivert in--rather tall, but not our tallest, but our best aerial threat at foreward. It is his effectiveness in the air, not standing height that matters.

To disagree with amatuer Gus Hiddink, you are clueless. Stam gotten around Koller? Perhaps you mean the reverse?

Anyway, we have most problems with smaller teams in fact--the darting, flashing-type forward systems., particularly speedy, attacking coming out of the midfield, ala Nedved/Czech. We OWN teams generally that play a target. forward. But again, it is just a silly thing to talk about, as you should frame, "how does x team do against a team that is excellent at heading?" Height is not aerial prowess. Not even an indicator of it. That's like saying a player with the biggest feet will definately kick the ball better than a player with small feet.

So Dolo is weak in the air because he is 5'7? Inferior to any other American right back? How come he is the most successful club player America has at the moment? You think there is no requirement of aerial game in the Bundesliga? You think he is always being "covered by his other backs against Bayern Munich, Stuttgart, Bremen?" Get clue.

Perhaps because the Germans and Dutch are tallish people in the first place? We could discuss Argentina's team size? Perhaps Klose Janker Ballack were simply the most in-form german forwards at that time? Would you like me to tell you how short Neuville is? Or perhaps Rumminege, Gerd Mueller, Rudy Voeller? (and there was no better headballer in the world than Voeller in his day). I think you are confusing heading aerial ability with standing height.

11. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DutchOven - you are relatively new here. There is a thread about the importance of height that crops up about once a year. The last time was in 2/04, after the smaller American team played the (on average) larger Dutch team in a friendly.

If you want to go into this more, how about starting a new thread and keep this one on Steve - who should or should not play on the Nats regardless of his height!

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody asked when his size was a problem. I pointed out that, not in THEORY but in FACT, it was a problem when NZ went 4-3-3 against us.

I pointed to another data point to add to all the others, and from which we can voice our opinions.

But with the pro-height and anti-height fundamentalists, I can't say I'm surprised this has gotten out of hand. But allow me to say...like all fundies, there's an element of truth covered up by the stridency.

13. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Taken from the Hannover 96 forum (courtesy of Der Rote):

Btw, you should really check out that thread, it becoming really funny thanks to "Keith".
    I know he's posting here too under a different name but I forgot which it was. :D

14. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught the viel mehr Spass line. Not much else, though.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya, from homoeroticism to the Aryan types. :rolleyes:

Good night now.

16. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hi
    There was an interview with 'Dolo in the Bundesliga Aktuell show on DSF monday night, and I taped it and am now making a brief sum up of it ;-)
    so here it is:
    It started on how his name is pronounced, of some reason the german resporters intend on calling him Cheroundolo (if you know what I mean), but it is pronounced the american way ;-)
    Then it goes on about the situation at Hannover, and 'dolo explains the success 96 has atm with everybody making a good job, the team playing the team simple and just everybody doing very well.
    This said they show a conclusion about the season so far, the USMNT, his two goals and him being a 'Volltreffer', a real good hit. He likes surfing and doesn't like Hamburgers and French fries - a non typical American they say. They show how hannover had trouble at the beginning of this season. 'Dolo likes Chai Latte (tea with milk and asian spices) and Sushi they say. Next they show how Hannover's defense improved, show some other taped interviews and talk about Hannover's success atm, Cherundolo taking part in that success and his contract only lasting 'till next summer.
    Here's where the interview continues (the other stuff was taped before), Cherundolo javing been asked whether he likes his right defense position answers saying that off course he, as any other soccer player, likes to shoot goals, but just is better as a right defender than a forward, so that's why he plays where he plays.
    Than they talk about Lienen, being asked whether Lienen changed or not 'dolo says that he did not change but just the whole situation including the team and everybody just got cooler because of the success. Next question is weird, the DSF guy reports that the last couple of years some players came with a hang over to practice and whether 'dolo could imagine something like that now with Lienen in charge. Dolo stays cool, says that he did and would not do such thing and that being something up to every player for himself, but it would be normal to celebrate after a victory of course.
    Next question is silly too, 'dolo is asked whether he could imagine to party with Lienen, but Dolo says that they will celebrate if there is something to celebrate.
    Now they move on to Rangnick, but Cherundolo says that he did not have any contact with him since he is in charge of Schalke 04, neither by mail nor by phone. Cherundolo denies any contact with Schalke or any other club and only talks to 96 about the possibilty to make his stay here longer.
    They again move on and Cherundolo is asked if he feels different before a game starts compared to the last 2 seasons. SC answers that fighting relegation the last 2 years did not allow the team to be cool and play an attacking way of soccer (?), they stood with their backs to a wall, but this season they have more points than they thought they would have and can play a good style of soccer which is loved by both players and fans.
    The moderator comes now back on Schalke 04 (quote: without wanting to be pushy), saying that SC would fit very well to Schalke because in the last 10 games there were 5 different right backs in Schalke.
    After a short brake for sportsnews the interview continues with the question if Cherundolo would like to play Champions league next year. His answer is that he would love it for sure, but being realisticaly he can't talk about CL or Uefa cup atm, it is only about getting as many points as possible.
    That's pretty much it, the interview ends with a thank you and good luck for your team...
    ------
    Ok, first time I did this, it is not easy, and propably some passages appear in a different light in my text than they were in the interview, sorry for that, but I know one thing for sure: DSF is far from being the best TV station, a lot of jumping around and silly questions...
    Dolo at the other hand showed very very good German and semmed to be very solid and on his feet if you know what I mean. He was very simpatico and smart, with a very big simle (you would be smiling too if your team would be on spot 4 of the 1st BL thanks to one goal you contibuted ;-) )
    Hope this helps ;-)
    Squig

17. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Anyone?