Cherundolo: Borussia Mönchengladbach vs Hannover 96 10/23 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by F96, Oct 23, 2004.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Did Buffett show up or something? It looks like a feeding frenzy in this pic.

Fins Up!

2. skilmon

skilmon Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Who was wearing the armband? I don't see it on Stevie...hadn't he been wearing it recently?

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I appreciate you posting the pics... I love to see them.

I can't be positive, but I would be almost certain the flag is there for Steve. From what I understand he's had a bit of a fan base in Germany...

4. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    You're probably right, the keeper should have come out, but that was an excellent ball...
    From the first pic... Steve was about 15 yards into the Monchengladbach half when the ball was played, and apparently it came down about 25 yards from goal.
    Perfectly placed because steve only had to run about 20 yards to get it (assuming the field was ~120 yards long) and as you said he had momentum going forward.
    If the keeper was standing around the penalty area when the ball was played, he'd have had to quickly make the decision to run about 10-15 yards - starting from rest - to try to beat Steve to the ball in a spot where he can't use his hands. My guess is that when the ball was hit, the keeper took a quick look up field and saw Steve running in alone... and by the time he got the look, it was too late in his mind.

Tough spot for the keeper.

Of course all this is based on still photos for me... but I could see where the keeper was in an almost no win situation due to the timing of the run and placement of the pass.

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The keeper almost got the ball though, he was really closer to it than Stevie... and then again he tried to get it but was to slow... He just reacted to late imo...
    still an outstanding goal, It's hard to handle that kind of balls imo... ;-)

6. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    You should ask in the English section of the 96 message boards, last time American posters asked for clips of Mathis' goals they were posted there.

http://www.hannover96.de/MODULES/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=11
    http://www.das-fanmagazin.de/forum/board.php?boardid=29&sid=

I have taped the goal but the only thing I could do is film it with my digital cam from the tv screen but that would be very bad quality of course and a very big file.

Stevie is wearing the armband when Altin Lala is injured or not starting, he did start on saturday.

7. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    sure this is in another thread somewhere, but stone on espn2 mentioned clint coming back to mls for real salt lake with keller.

8. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That won't help me because I could only see him in germany or maybe revolution, but nowhere else... :-/

9. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Would they be willing/able to pay a decent transfer fee?

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Why would 96 require one? They didn't pay one to get him and it doesn't look as though they've advanced his career any. I'm sure they would love to just dump his salary.

That said, I don't see Clint returning to MLS. He should qualify for a WP in England and I think he'll give the Championship a try before going back to the States ever enters his mind.

11. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Maybe but it would certainly be better if there a club would be s be willing to pay a fee for Clint.
    Hannover is not exactly rich and deGuzman will leave for free this summer like so many did before so I don't think they should let anyone with a valid contract just walk away just because they didn't have to pay before either.

12. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would appreciate a transfer fee as well, but I think FC Tallavana is right: Hanover's squad is too bloated right now, they would let Mathis go, if Lienen really doesn't plan with him anymore, just to get him off the payroll.

We'll see. I'd like to see Mathis fight for his starting place and come back at Hanover. Clint is partially right, though, that we're playing very defensively at the moment and that decreases his chances. If he leaves, I wish him the best of luck. I don't think it would be a good idea to go back to the US though, he should prove himself in Europe first.

13. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    who'd take mathis at this point? I don't get the impression that european soccer teams would be willing to put up with his attitude. not everyone has what it takes to make it in european soccer. as other posters on this thread mentioned, cherundolo put in his dues over years and years of service. I don't know mathis but the picute painted of him is not one of patience and perserverance.

mls may be his best fit.

14. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Metro fan, the answer is, No

15. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    yes, but as an expansion franchise, why wouldn't ReAl Salt Lake be interested?

16. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The attitude really wouldn't be the problem. We have guys much worse playing soccer all over Europe, and at least Clint is kind of a nice guy. ;) I mean, Sunday Oliseh is playing in Dortmund, and not even a year ago he broke Hashemian, his then-teammate at Bochum, the nose in the locker room. Now here we have an attitude-problem.

But does Clint have what it takes for the Bundesliga? I still think he does. He might have to improve as well. He would have no problem staying in Germany if he was willing to play 2nd league, but I can also imagine teams from the Bundesliga be interested in him, generally speaking. But he has to be willing to work on improvement.

17. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Becasue his attitude is pure and utter crap. I wouldn't waste a max sal position on a guy that could turn into a polarizing clubhouse figure

18. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But why the hell would you be dumb enough to show up your boss in front of the whole country? Fighting your own teammate is small potatoes compared to that.

19. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Because it was an emotional moment? People understand that, especially if you say afterwards, that you respect the coach. It got some attention, because it is unusual, but it's not that big of a deal.

Injuring your teammate is much worse. If anybody would do that under Lienen, he'd be gone for sure. Teamspirit is important.

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I'm always a bit amazed at the assessment: Does he have what it takes? During his time at Hannover, with 2 different coaches under 2 different systems (most of the time, highly defensive/workrate oriented)- he has still managed 5 goals in 1/2 a season. Sure, that's not a lot of time, but what in that (screams) that he doesn't belong? That good production from a mostly midfielder.

Clint biggest mistake is that dumb gesture he did....Clint's timing was atrocious, for since Hannover is winning without him, where is the incentive to play him (short-term?). He'll probably work his way back on bench, and maybe even a start before the break, but this is looking pretty much like a lost season now (barring huge injuries, and 8 straight low-scoring losses)..

I will also argue until the cows come home that Clint is NOT the same player that Bayern Munich was hot in 2001. Clint lost a 1/2 step due to the successive knee surgeries, and although I still think he can be a good BL player (max performance), he could have been even better (schade)

21. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your dreams are about the Nats? You might need to see someone about that - I think you need help.

I love our MNT, but my dreams are usually about my wife :D

22. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really think it comes down to the question if he has what it takes. It's hard for me to put the finger on what exactly he might be missing, though. He sure is talented. He has a tremendous shot, he's not the fastest but he's quick, he does have cojones ;), he does have some understanding of the game.

But one rarely sees him play a good long pass. Also, he's not 'in charge' enough of the game for a central midfielder. Sometimes he seems to me to go too straight to the goal when it would be better to wait. He often gives away balls too easily and should more often go for the secure option instead of taking risks. And he has to work more on his defensive game, at least, if he wants to make it in Hannover. In addition, he's too 'moody', playing strong one week, then perform weak the next. He sure needs more consistancy.

Someone in the 96-forum wrote some lines today with which i totally agree:
    Merely talent, regardless of how much one is blessed with, is not enough in the Bundesliga, I'm afraid.

23. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Not the Nats.....Stevie.

Ain't he a cutie pie.

24. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BTW, Steve's goal got nominated for goal of the week.

25. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    here we go again:
    http://www.sportschau.de/
    Tor der Woche = Goal of the week
    zur TdW Wahl = go to the GotW Vote
    Stevie is number 3

then address:
    First Line: First Name [Erika] Last name [Mustermann]
    2nd line:Street [Musterstraße] number [1]
    3rd line: 5 digit zip code [12345] city/town [Musterstadt] add USA and the state here!
    4th line: email (should be clear)