Cherundolo: Borussia Mönchengladbach vs Hannover 96 10/23 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by F96, Oct 23, 2004.

1. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
  2. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it was a different Cherundolo :confused:

3. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Here's hoping he just wakes up with a terrible headache.

4. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    What a tremendous job by Stevie.

Went over unheralded several years ago. Worked his way up from reserves and 2nd division status. Paid his dues

Went thru period in which he was basically the fans whipping boy, after getting in the higher-skilled BL.

Had a few howlers which were (probably) signs of inexperience/lack of maturity. But he stepped up, put them aside, and got on with it. Stevie learned and adjusted.

Did not complain when Rangnick's system left him constantly exposed. Took his beating like a man- with little complaint. Supported the coach despite a formation that worked against him at times.

When Hannover struggling last year, he met the fans head on ON THEIR TERMS (remember that great pic- Stevie in their face, 2 guys yelling at him, Stevie keeping his composure) and didn't hide (like he could of- especially being the 'picked-on' Yank.

He is fluent, very fluent (meaning, getting into the "German" thing).

Has earned the captain's armband, the respect of 2 coaches, and made himself a cornerstone of a team that has turned itself totally around.

This guy deserves a ton of credit and praise. I don't care how he shows for the US Nats...he is a tremendous credit and inspiration for all Yank players, and especially Yanks Abroad.

What a professional.

He and McBride deserve making a fine living (post-career), if they choose, teaching model professionalism to other players.....they are well-worth (paying...)

6. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Well Hannover just keep winning this is great for Steve but, really bad for Clint. Steve should get a call up to the national team he is doing good in Germany.

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I recall that he went over there almost as a walk-on, on his own dime and the fact that he apparently can tell jokes in German indicates he is beyond fluent.

8. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    I just saw the highlights of the game. Cherundulo's goal was a completley missed offsides trap (not particularly suprising considering it was a RB sprinting down the middle). A hopeful ball which looked more like a clearance until Cherundulo came into view was looped into the offensive half and bounced just outside the box (a high bounce, the ball was hit originally on the volley from midfield). The keeper came out to challenge and Cherundulo cheekily headed it over him into an empty net. There was no one within 20 yards of him as he COMPLETLEY beat the trap and basically met the ball on the run. Great goal, I'd imagine a candidate for goal of the week.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This is silly. Dolo is too small to play RB and certainly too small to reach a ball with his head, more less put it over the keeper. Check the tape again...

Any more word on the knock he took? Nothing worse than scoring a nice goal and getting your bell rung so hard you don't remember.

10. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Don't forget, he's also way to slow to get 20 yards behind the defense even on a botched offside trap. My conclusion, it wasn't really him... Hannover are just calling it that to draw attention to Steve in the hopes we Americans stop fretting about Clint on the bench.

That goal better be shown on FSW later today.

11. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    NEWSFALSH!:WARNING:THIA IS A WARNING!

A "happy munchkin" has been spotted in Germany near Gelsenkirschen. First report had it as a stray "umpa lumpa", but it was too small.

The munchkin sighting was confirmed during a soccer match (Hannover 96 v M Gladbach) and it apparantly
    attacked the ball. Speculation is that the munchkin believed it was the wicked witches crystal ball. After initial contact, which incredibly resulted in a Hannover goal, it seemed to be frightened off by jubliant Hannover players attempting to congratulate him.
    Unfortunately they were all dressed in red.

Scientists believe the munchkin may have mistaken the players for the witches soldiers (who also dress in red). It did not help that the jubilant players were shouting in a manner that sounded very similiar to, "oh e oh, e oh-o."

There have been several unconfirmed sightings since. It is believed that the munchkin has to be in Europe, as it is obvioulsy not a good enough player to contribute here in the states. Surfing, lack of control, lack of skill and crossing inability are not known munchkin traits making him useless here in America.

It is not known if the munchkin will make an appearnace soon. People are now checking local hospitals. We hope for the best.

***In a side note, a little boy made off with the beer stand money today. He apparently pointed at his watch, as if to ask for the time, and when the vendor looked down at his watch the little boy grabbed his privates and screamed obscenities. The vendor was so shocked that he barely moved when the boy grabbed his day's take screaming, "You see how smart I am, I could have taken the sauerbraten money, but look how smart I am, just look! It's your fault you don't recognize my divine greatness, yours, everybody's...just not mine."

His last words before he dissappeared seemed to be,"Where are my damn Doritos?!?"

12. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Thanks Takk... it's good to laugh

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The NP (local newspaoer) spoke to Dolo after the game (look at the Prese-spiegel section in the official Hannover 96 Forum: http://www.hannover96.de/MODULES/phpbb/index.php.), wich shows that he propably felt better than and should be all right....

14. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    The emergence of the anti-ABMOD? :D

15. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    That site includes a rumor that Steve will be going to Schalke and that his agent has verified it. I couldn't find any other mention. Is anything up here?

NP

16. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schalke, which is Rangnick's new club, seems to be interested in Steve and his contract is running out at the end of the season. Hanover wants to keep him though.

The pass for Steve wasn't a clearance but very intentional and smart, indeed, played by Krupnikovic who has shown some strong performances lately and plays on the position for which Rangnick got Clint.

Stevie at scoring...

[​IMG]

His alltime-first in the Bundesliga!

17. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Here the link to the thread where I (badly) translated that article about Cherundolo. *click*
    They are already talking about him in the Schalke Forum.

If Schalke 04 really wants him I don't really see a chance to keep him in Hannover unless he wants a garantee to start from Rangnick.
    Schalke is one of the greatest clubs in Germany with an awesome fanscene, a great stadium and they play international.
    And he certainly would get much more money.

Schalke is my second favourite club because my family comes from there.
    My first 10 Bundesliga matches I saw as a kid where in Schalke so I wouldn't be really sad to see him play for them.

Steven rated 2 again (1 being the best) by the local paper NEUE PRESSE.
    Some pics of the game:
    The goal by Stevie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
  19. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    [​IMG]

Stevie knocked out
    [​IMG]

20. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some comments on the pics from Hannover96girl:
    #1: Steve is the guy at the bottom. He came from behind and still had momentum, which you don't see in the picture, because in that instance he slowed down a bit to avoid offsides. But Krupnikovic had perfect timing on that pass anyway, he could have kept going IMO.
    #2 The exact moment where the long pass comes down, quite close to the goal. As you can see, the keeper should've come out. After this pic, Steve get's a hang on the ball preventing it from going too lateral, but doesn't get complete controll. The ball bounces and...
    #3 Steve gets the header on the bouncing ball.
    #4 Way to go!

21. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    The last pic: (if anyone is annoyed by me posting so many pics please tell me)[​IMG]

the little American flag has always there as support for Stevie
    (please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it's there for Stevie)

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks H96girl!

Great pics!

23. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I posted a pic as well, but for reasons unknown it's not visible anymore and I'm not able to edit that posting, so I'll give it another try:

[​IMG]

24. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think Bruce was watching?

25. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter