Cameron Carter-Vickers at Celtic

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Aug 13, 2014.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off-season interest:

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If at all possible, would love to see CCV sign with any club outside the Championship.

Cam's been there, done that. To the tune of 115 Championship games. No shame in that, of course, for a young player, but if there's a chance for first division playing time for a good Belgian side or as a squad rotation player for a middling EPL team like Newcastle, he should seize it.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If it's Newcastle, he should have a clear path to PT so he should take it, as long as he's targeting getting out within 18 months, latest.

A team coached by Steve Bruce is not particularly enticing. A club owned by Mike Ashley is rat poison in terms of off-the-field atmosphere - and that's before you consider the atmosphere in the stadium . . .

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Saw passing reference to Fulham and Cardiff on twitter today, as well as RB. Also claimed Beerholder is considering him for GC, fwiw.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Rumours are that Fulham's Scott Parker has been unable to agree on a plan of action for next season with the board and is about to resign. Bournemouth is the only destination mentioned.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-bournemouth-as-fulham-exit-looms-for-manager

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fulham might be in the market for CBS. One of them was on loan and the other is drawing interest.

BostonRed repped this.
  7. TrustingtheProcess

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 11, 2021
    Philadelphia, USA
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    In Newcastle, the pole position ...

[​IMG]

9. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way too cheery. That can't be Newcastle.

Suyuntuy and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I actually enjoyed living in Newcastle. Well, just outside Newcastle. But still, it has its charm.

Winoman and Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    All I know of Newcastle I learned long ago from watching Michael Caine in Get Carter.

Here it is 50 years ago ...​

[​IMG]

... and here it is today ...

[​IMG]

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    For someone who's only been as far north as Liverpool, can I get a synopsis on Newcastle?

13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    #2788 FC Tallavana, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    I found the people were generally nicer than in other parts of the country. Probably because they didn't have to work 200 hours per week in order to pay their mortgages. Which is a good thing considering there weren't many jobs in the region. Pro athlete wages will go a really, really long way in Newcastle compared to London. Not as rainy as Liverpool, yet it never seems to be very sunny. And that accent. Wow. I have been all over, but that accent is something else. About the only word I could recognize consistently was "ma," though it was never clear if it was "my" or a reference to their moms.

14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so 14m? Pretty nice coin for Tottenham if true...and would put CCV pretty high up in the rankings amongst the US pool in terms of valuations.....

15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Enough money for Newcastle to be under pressure to give him a chance to settle in before giving up on him.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    £14 million feels absurdly high for CCV, but good on Tottenham if they can bamboozle Newcastle into paying that much.

TarHeels17 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe public opinion of him hasnt caught up to his level? Maybe the (lack of ) validation of national team play is undercutting his perception amongst us fans?

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Less that, more that I wouldn't expect a player with his resume to have interest at that price.

But looking into it more, Joe Rodon, who was a year younger at time of sale and had half the Championship minutes of CCV, went to Spurs for £11-15 million last summer. Adam Webster had a very similar resume to CCV and Brighton bought him for £18 million in 2019. So I guess £14 million really isn't unreasonable.

largegarlic and jjmack repped this.
  19. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like a pretty bad case of English domestic inflation because CCV only has one year left on his contract. Newcastle could get netter foreign CBs at the Euros.

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Bite your tongue and mind your betters.

Winoman, The Irish Rover and superdave repped this.
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    For whom they would have to pay the same 14 million, plus a 5 million premium for being an established MNT CB, plus another 5 million for being an established MNT CB on a successful side, knowing that anyone that isn't already in England will need until XMas - at least - to adjust to the pace and the physicality of the EPL.

Try thinking before typing in future

22. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want CCV to do well but a 14 million valuation with 1 year left suggests a valuation of 25-30 million, and he is not a 25 million player. He has never played a game in the Premiership. His 100 games in the Chsmpionship don't make him more ready to be sliced up by KDB or Liverpool than a starter for a second-tier Euro squad.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't deny that CCV is worth (quite a bit) less than 14 million. It's simply that a CB with a good performance in the Euros isn't going to be any cheaper than that, and will probably need a period to adjust to the EPL.

Personally, I'd be surprised if he went for 6 million and gobsmacked if he went for 10 million.

tomásbernal repped this.
  24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    From SBI:

autobus39 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A move to Celtic could be a double-edged sword for development. He'd get the Old Firm derbies and maybe some Europeam games but too many games against weak, small teams.

Is the silver lining that Celtic defenders would have to play with their feet more against the likes of Hibs, Kilmarnock, etc.?

The Irish Rover repped this.