Chemotherapy! Because it's not bad enough the cancer is trying to kill you.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GumbyG, Nov 22, 2013.

1. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else out there going through it, how is it affecting you, and what are you doing to maintain your fitness?

2. RickyMartin

RickyMartin New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Club:
    US Avellino
    I never faced such problem and i do regular exercise to maintain fitness because i think exercise is the only way to maintain fitness. If you need more information about fitness then you can contact with us.

3. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's certainly my means and goal, along with some modest changes in diet.

I suppose I should start by describing my situation.

There are many different courses of chemotherapy employed. I'm on something called FolFox. It's a combination of two medications that aim to destroy the fast growing cells in your body, including the cancer cells. One is kinda standard, the other is a neurotoxin. Usually you go in for a number of courses at prescribed intervals. Mine's 12 courses, one every two weeks. You go in on day one, and they give you a cocktail of medications intended to make the chemotherapy side-effect bearable, which include steroids, anti-nausea meds, and anti-inflammatories. Then you mainline the combination of chemo meds for a few hours, after which they attach a portable pump and send you home, so you can continue to take low dose chemo for the next 48 hours, after which you go in and have the pump removed. Rinse and repeat every 2 weeks.

The problem with chemo is the side effects. It screws with your blood counts and makes you really tired. Because of the neurotoxin, I also have mild cramping, ticks, and severe cold aversion side effects.

In my case, week 1 is a total loss for any kind of extreme physical activity. I walk a mile twice a day most days, because I'm either wearing a pump, kissing a toilet, or exhausted. I can still work from a computer, but it's a fight.

Week 2 is recovery. That's when I do my harder exercise - I try to get in two easy 30-50 minute runs and two rounds of light weights/calisthenics. My blood counts are low but stable, and I think the exercise has helped in that regard. It's going to be an especially tough winter, tho, because of the cold neuropathy. I live in Washington DC, where winter highs are in the 40 degrees Fahrenheit range, so I won't be able to run as often.

I'm halfway through my regimen, and I find that despite no major changes to diet or exercise, I'm losing muscle mass and gaining fat. It isn't drastic, but I'm definitely weaker now.

That's it in a nutshell. If anyone's gone through this, I'd be grateful for any advice. If you're going through this, or will be, I'll be glad to share my experiences and encouragement. Chemo is difficult but doable. The better shape you're in, the better you will tolerate it. Each regimen has its own problems, and to some degree, everyone's experience will be different, but there are some common elements that we can all share and learn from.

4. RickyMartin

RickyMartin New Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Club:
    US Avellino
    lakecountybootcamps persona trainer