Chelski v. The Arsenal, Tuesday January 21 2020 2015 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Jan 20, 2020.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It does, but I want to see better attacking play.

My suspicion is that we won't look appreciably better in attack until August, and it's going to take a while for us to be competitive at the top. My fear is that Raul Sanllehi is awful and we're never going to get there ever again.

DutchCane and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  2. maskito

maskito Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already have 12...

3. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I know Draw F.C, this year we don't have enough quality to outright win or hold on to a win..

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Too early to say this, IMO

It's a shame Laca turned into hot trash but we have to get through the Auba suspension

But yeah, we probably have to resign ourselves to a top 10 finish and like you say, the worry is the recruitment will be garbage

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We were losing these games before

daedalus repped this.
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Given the context of the match I'll take the draw and be happy. Especially like that the side played better after falling behind and down a man. (Would be nice if they didn't need that, but you get what I mean.)

For now a draw @ Chelsea without PEA, going down to 10 men and relying on Mustafi is definitely an impressive feat.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Martinelli is god

danielh, CarlosKaiser, Shen-O and 2 others repped this.
  8. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I didn't mean this match, I meant previous ones.

9. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are.

10. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit

Lacazette, Mustafi, Ozil- Completely useless

Xhaka-actually pretty important to the team

Martinelli- Amazing

Super Llama repped this.
  11. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nice thing about having Bellerin back is you have the option to play AMN in a midfield three instead of Ozil. It'd be less attacking overall but we'd be able to control matches better.

Heard Guendouzi was decent today too which is a good sign.

Drawing a match by scoring two goals on two shots after being down a man for 60 minutes is a good fcuk you to Chelsea. Wish we could've won at home though.

danielh repped this.
  12. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guen was alright I suppose. I feel like he's becoming too cunty, though. I'm fine with a player being dickish, but he's starting to do it stupidly. Maybe it's Luiz.

Also, it'll always be nice to see a Chelsea player falling down lead to an Arsenal goal at Stamford Bridge.

13. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luiz is actually a bigger dumbass than Mustafi

How many years you been playing? You STILL don’t know that taking a goal beats taking an early red card, everytime? Luiz is absolutely lucky this game ended 2-2 and not another 5-1.

14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was going to say that this was a heat of the moment thing, but on replay Luiz had at least a second or two to think about this. Could be persuaded either way on this, though.

15. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Nice point to have, but helps spuds and United more than us in the league. Put that thing to rest and worry about the two cups and building something for next season.

Speaking of that, if anyone needs more convincing that ozil doesn’t fit arteta’s vision they only need to watch that last 30 mins of this match. He just doesn’t have a place unless people sits and ozil goes wide right like the Wenger days. It’s time for him to have an illness or back ache again for a while.

16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    What happened to the whole “double jeopardy thing” where players were only getting yellows in situations like this because there is a penalty? There was cover coming so I think Luiz thought he’d escape with the pen+yellow if he was making an attempt at the ball. Which I thought he was as well.

daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maaaaybeee. Even with a second or two, I think it's a bit harsh to insist he should've been ticking off scenarios along the logic tree.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few of us were debating this at the pub right after it happened. For some reason, I was thinking the double jeopardy rule only applied to keepers in that sort of situation but I'll admit I'm not sure and will defer to anyone who actually has their license.

Edit: I'm wrong

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

NorthBank repped this.
  19. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    You know the CB play is bad at Arsenal when Xhaka is being praised for his performance tonight despite doing this:

1219726233526833154 is not a valid tweet id

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I disagree it was lucky.

We were better after the red card and Chelsea didn’t create much in the second half.

InTheSun repped this.
  21. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was too early in the game, I can't excuse him. He should have better game awareness than that after so many years. It was definitely a heat of the moment thing, but a smarter CB lets that play finish without getting red carded. Take the goal, play with 11 the rest of the match...it seems really simple to me.
    When Luiz reached Abraham, the goal was wide open. I don't think he knew that Mustafi was coming. No CB is going to look to the side in that moment. I'm being harsh with him because it was only the 25th minute. And I'm not over the same thing happening in the 2006 CL Final. I prob had PTSD flashbacks.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just watched highlights. Bellerin's goal was sweet and Martinelli showed great poise on his. Both well taken.

Shen-O repped this.
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Never give up. Never.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #99 NorthBank, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Just watched. Bonkers match. I've got very mixed feelings.

First 35 mins we absolutely sucked. Imposters. Then after our 2 CB's had colossal brain farts, somehow we grew a pair and took the game back.

Big kudos for doing that. With 10 men! And so happy for Hector having such a positive day out.

Substitution debate/delay in early 2T was strange. But it just about worked out so...

Edit: Oh and our away supporters get big credit in this result. Arteta should buy them all dinner.

25. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Long time since I've been around but Arteta appointment brought me back. We're no less talented than Chelshit. We just need to play right. Odoi is a wimp. Abrams is soft as butter.Willian doesn't care. Their back line stinks. They have no dmid.Their gk is over-rated. We should be walloping them 5-1.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.