Chelsea's Portuguese Legion: your performance assessment so far

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by ferreirajl, Nov 4, 2004.

1. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    When we signed Lumpy he got a lot of flak. Not that good, should have bought Joe Cole instead (so we did a couple of years later :) ) and/or Carrick instead as they were better players, it was all blah-blah-blah from Hammers fans and Chelsea haters alike. Frank Lump of Lard, oh yes we remember the days. Lumpy. I did have one mate who was hammers fan who did confess to me that Frank was the real deal and one of the brightest young players he had ever seen. Frank joined Chelsea and got a place in the team mainly because our midfield wasn’t really anything at all at the point. It really was an area where we were totally lacking (we have more than made up for that now eh/). He looked good, but was he worth the staggering 10 million quid price tag? Well, here we are, a few years later, he is awesome, better than I ever expected him to be, a total complete player, he can do it all, passing, tackling, stamina, distribution, set pieces (who’d have thought it?), dribbling, flicking, on the head son, always fit, when was the last time he missed a game? When was the last time he didn’t give 100%? Still only 25 and I cannot think of any midfield player in the world who is as good as him right now or who'd rather see at the centre of this team, there are some great technical magicians out there in the twilight of their careers – Zidanne (32), Nedved (32), Figo (32), Beckham (29 :) ), - but those guys lack the energy and the drive that Frank has on the pitch. Frank Lampard just keeps getting better and this whole team is going to be around for a long long time to come - the average age of the team is 24.

Lampard is Chelsea, he is what this Chelsea team is all about, which is brilliant young exciting players that are also incredibly hard working and functional.

2. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Amen! Can I get a witness?? Preach on brother BridgeMonkee...

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if frank lampard is the engine that makes us go, what is john terry? the frame?
    i guess jose would be the steering?

---side note, i definitely would not call vieri crap.

4. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And Robben is the airbag?:) "not a penalty?!, what are ya blind!"
    the lad can whinge with the best of them. tee hee.

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Terry is the driver of the car, directing us where to go and Robben is the easily the gas pedal. Enough car talk. Pretty soon I'll be living in South Carolina, loving Dale Earnhardt Jr, thumping a Bible, collecting guns and voting for Bush.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My goodness this thread has deteriorated! What about the legion??? Personally I think they have not performed up to scratch, but then, you are alone at the top of the table so maybe they did enough eh?

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fereirra is the best RB int he league, carvalho has been a stalwart, mourinho is an outstanding leader, the only slight negative has been tiago, who has played pretty much outof position, and for fractioned playing time. what games have you been watching? well maybe its just hard to see us from 7th place ;)

8. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    no need for the sweeping generalizations mate...unless you lot want to lose another election :)

9. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Vieri's had a good career, don't get me wrong. But in the last few years, he's been a non factor. What's he done for Inter or Italy in the past two years?

Having said that, I might have been a little harsh in my previous post. :eek:

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's not enough allegories.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I should delete this for the mere fact that a Nascar reference is in it!

Ye-haw jim bob, did you see the way he held that wheeel on that turn - that dar be class i tell y'all [/mouth full of jawin baccy]

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I just don't get that "sport". I mean, they go around in a circle for hours and hours. Have people not realized this? Its a circle!

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The drive in circles for hours and hours making left hand turns. I guess Dale Earnhardt Sr forgot about that last left hand turn because he made a right instead...

I love how people classify them as "athletes". Yeah Dale Jr and Smarty Jones, two world class athletes...

14. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    stop bud,ive tried to watch it once or twice,but when i see thats it's "only" 542 laps to go............the channel must be switched,especially before the commentators start talking about some nobody driver called rusty or randy and how their first car was destroyed by a tornado on their uncles farm.

15. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in 2003 vieri had 24 goals in 23 league games
    in 2004 he only played 22games due to injury, had 13 goals
    37 goals in 43 games, not a bad ratio

though he has underperformed since a dominant world cup in 2002 ff\or italy, but most of that teams has.

16. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I went to one of the two here at Long Pond three years ago.Long Pond is only 25 mins from the house so i had no travelling to do, the in-laws drove, there was plenty of spirits (alcoholic) and food.
    We parked in what was termed the 'in-field', popped out a tent and deck chairs.
    Out came the alcohol and food, on went the portable telly, quick switch to a local channel to watch the Eagles play and i kicked back.

The noise was unbelieveable, the crowd wild and i was getting smashed whilst alternating from keeping my eye on what to bet on the hand i had and the game on the telly.

Passed out on the way home.

My wife asked me the next day how the race was and who won.

I replied to both questions with one answer - '...um...dunno'

Great time :D

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    So what you're saying is that Nascar is great, so long as you don't watch it. Gotcha! :D

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    When she asked who won...she meant the Eagles. God last nights game was great.

19. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, he's saying NASCAR is great, so long as your DRUNK and not watching it.

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... oh man... good one.. ok, that's not far off i guess. Personally I don't think he's that great, not physically dominant. Not great going forward not great in the air. Decent passer but his crosses have come to naught thus far, that's when he gets forward enough.

21. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    If its not Ferreira, who is it? Gary Neville? Is he better defensively? Not really, no. Is he a better crosser? ******** no - GNeville is one of the worst crossers in the EPL. Really - who is a better RB?

22. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The silence is deafening...

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isnt it funny when people think they are saying something, but end up saying nothing.

24. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Unfortunately those people tend to be about 50% of BigSoccer. Of course, where would we get our laughs from if they didn't exist?

25. Ibranco

Ibranco New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Kingston, Canada
    apparently he has never watched a chelsea match