Chelsea's Portuguese Legion: your performance assessment so far

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by ferreirajl, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, strange as it may sound, I'd like to try all of them over a period - does that make me a tinkerman? I don't mean swap them around every game necessarily but give them all a chance and see how they perform. I think that all three of them are good tacklers with Smertin and Parker having the edge slightly but Tiago is probably neater and tidier in attack. Also, haven't we got a lad called Geremi? He's pretty good too.

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    waste of money was spoken by many of fans, our memories do fade fast eh?

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    NO ONE SAID HE WAS A WASTE OF MONEY. The only complaint was that he was overpriced.
    Our memories don't fade fast - yours are made up quickly.

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The only part of that, that has any truth to it, is that fans of other teams said something along those lines.

I don't recall any of the regular posters on here saying anything of the sort!

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So can we take it that you now admit that regular Chelsea supporters on these boards didn't say Fereirra, Makelele and Tiago are crap?

What I said, (and I think you'll find most others agree with me about this), is that...

1. I didn't really see the point in buying Tiago as we already had other players who were as good if not better in similar positions, and,
    2. Drogba cost a great deal of money but, hey, we've got the money anyway so what's the problem.

Nothing that's happened so far or is likely to happen has made me alter those views. Even if Tiago becomes a tremendous player for us, (doesn't look very likely at the moment does it), how can anyone be sure that some of the other lads wouldn't have done the same with JM's coaching.

6. freezer

freezer New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Lisbon, Portugal
    If I ware you I wouldn't take the coment JM did about home support so seriously. I think he was just pushing the fans to increase their support because he knows what it mean to the players. I see the coment more has a request then as criticism.

One thing you got to realise from JM is that he is the kind of person who will always speek out what he feels even if he may sound arrogant doing so.

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He sounds arrogant because he is arrogant and that is why I love him. We finally have a manager who is tough and demands respect. He's no pushover for Wenger or Ferguson. As much as I loved Ranieri, those two made his their b*tch. It was like he didn't think he was as good of a manager as they.

8. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I was a bit surprised when Chelsea bought Tiago. I always thought Mourinho was aiming at either Deco or Maniche, who are players already at the top of their game. I guess something went wrong in the negotiations, probably the enormous amount of money Porto was asking to release them.

But Tiago has a lot of potential. He's young. He has good positioning, he's a good shooter, good passing. All he needs is a couple of years to mature and become a more influential player.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I don't think so. Either of those players were ours if we'd wanted them - the money's not a problem, considering how much we overpaid for Tiago.
    I'm not sure Deco would have fit into our side all that well, and Maniche isn't better than Makelele, and we have Parker/Smetin to back up Claude.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I watched a re-run of the NUFC game last night on ChelseaTV.

Frankly I've nothing against the lad as a player particularly. One thing I DO notice is that his attitude is extremely good. There was one part where Bridge, (who's been out for a while), lost his winger and Tiago covered him very well. It's just that I genuinely don't think we needed him.

Still, if he can mature and do a good job for us I won't be complaining too much.

Well, except if he does it at the cost, (in terms of games), of developing British players which I'd prefer... not just on a nationalistic basis but also because I think players born in the country in which they play usually work harder and play with more 'heart' when the going gets tough.

11. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal

I don't know about "they were ours if we'd wanted them"... In Deco's case it was a hard fight (Bayern, Chelsea, Barça some of the names I remember). And Barcelona as a great appeal over brazilian players, since many of the best played there (and still do).

But it's funny you said you're not sure Deco would fit... why? He's doing great for Barcelona, and it seems to me Chelsea could use a creative midfielder

12. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Oh and I forgot... Makelele and Maniche aren't similar players even though they play roughly in the same positions. Porto has a player to do Makelele type of job, it's Costinha, and yes Makelele is a lot better.

But you can't really compare Makelele with Maniche.

13. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Deco I think choose Barcelona over Chelsea because they are a greater club.I think he could fit into the Chelsea side,although Gudjohsen does a fine job dropping deep behind the main striker to create,but Deco is small and the physical side of the English game would take a greater toll and prove him less effective, he is more suited to Spain.I agree about Tiago, he is neat and tidy but unspectacular.Carvalho is world class, his only fault is being a tad slow it seems.

14. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    I agree, he is a little more comparable to Lampard I think,especially as far as shooting is concerned, and since Lampard is one of Chelseas best,Maniche is unnecessary.

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    We dropped out ourselves. Mourinho publically stated we would not be pursuing him. Remember, considering how little Barca paid, its unlikely we were the other side in that negotiation.

He would not fit int our formation, and I think he'd be too slight for the Premiership. Watching him fall every single time Stam touched him in the semis of Euro2004 convinced me of that.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Maniche isn't nearly the offensive player Lampard is. I don't think he'd have done well in Lampard's role at all.

That being said, Maniche is a good player.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or needlework... flower arranging, possibly.

Seeing that guy dive and roll around in a Chelsea shirt would be more than body and soul can bear - I'd fvcking kick him meself.

Having said that the Portugese lads that have come in seemed to have learnt the lesson about the British attitide to diving - which is more than can be said for certain French and Dutch players at the Arse and ManUre.

18. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Lampard is better than Maniche for the EPL type of play, I agree.
    Deco...? I don't know. People tend to focus too much on the diving. I read a couple of days ago in the UEFA site that a study came to the conclusion that Deco was the player that ran the most kms per game in last year's CL. And that's just one aspect of his game. Lampard, Gudjohsen or Deco... I would go for Deco without thinking twice.

That said... Chelsea's problems are most teams dream.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I think Lampard is one of the best midfielders in Europe, at this stage of his career. He's just not as flashy. You can immediately see the difference when he's in the game - his control, accuracy with long passes (last year he had the highest pass completion percentage in England) and ability to translated defense to attack is phenomenal. Deco couldn't play in his role, since Deco needs more freedom. That, and I just don't think Deco is as good.
    I didn't actually say anything about Deco's diving, since that's something I'll leave for others. Even without including that, Deco's still very slight.

True. :D

20. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    I think in a couple of years Mourinho will go back to Porto and Buy Portuguese Under 21 Striker Hugo Almeida. Think Vieri but only bigger. Almeida has the body and is good enough to play in England

21. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm sure he's talented, but he's no doubt got a touch of Quasimodo in the blood:D

[​IMG]

yeesh!, and to think they call Rooney shrek!

22. freezer

freezer New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Lisbon, Portugal
    You probably don't watch much of Porto games. I watched a lot of bout Porto and Chelsea games and if there are 2 players, from those teams, who play in a very similar way, its Maniche and Lampard for sure.

Although I respect your oppinion, I realy desagree.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Fair enough. :) If we all agreed, we wouldn't have a need for this board, now would we? ;)

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and, let's be honest, there are 'passes' and 'passess'. Frank is nearly always the guy taking it off Makalele, JT, whoever, and bringing the ball forward starting attacks and often getting on the end of them as well. Like I said about the NUFC Carling cup game, when Frank came on the pitch, the whole look of the game changed. We kept the ball better and seemed more threatening. I don't think that's an accident.
    You rang m'lud? ;)

25. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Oh my God! :eek: Now you're on your "Hugo Almeida Campaign" in the Chelsea forum. Give it a rest man, Almeida is garbage and so is Vieri btw. He could play for Crystal Palace but for Chelsea? Come on, he doesn't even play for Porto.