Chelsea vs MLS All Stars 8/5 Bridgeview

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fanaddict, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah we got beat bad on foreign soil and played well at home against fulham,fire against ac milan and dc against chelsea. Playing at home vrs playing on the road makes a big difference. Geeh Bridgeview is in the US isn't it?

2. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About 20,000 and yes they are hiking prices $55-$125.

3. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm much more interested in what Chelsea have in mind as part of their business plan.

This from their site:
    Chelsea Business Affairs Director, Paul Smith...added: “It is an honour to be invited to play in the MLS All-Star Game, and in the new home of the Chicago Fire. Our participation confirms <st1:city w:st="on">Chelsea</st1:city>’s long-term commitment to soccer in the <st1><st1:country-region w:st="on">United States</st1:country-region></st1> as no other global team is prepared to invest in US soccer from top to bottom.
    <o></o>
    “As well as playing in showcase matches like this against the best US players we will also seek, through MLS and other partners such as AEG to develop a programme of activity that will also cover the huge interest in soccer at youth level, as well as the professional game.

“By building the profile and interest in <st1:city w:st="on">Chelsea</st1:city> in this way we are confident we can expand our business and build a platform for increasing our fan base, merchandising and sponsorship opportunities as well as help develop US <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1></st1></st1:country-region>soccer.”

The match is part of <st1:city w:st="on">Chelsea</st1:city>’s overall strategy to develop itself in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>US</st1></st1:country-region>, one of the club’s three key target markets.
    ---------------

Many teams have made this type of announcement. None have delivered anything of substance.

Unfortunately, I think their intent shows in Smith's last quote. They want to sell shirts.

4. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Unfortunately. I'm starting a campaign to get cook county to secede.

5. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Yep.

And oh yeah, Adidas and Budweiser are now among Chelsea's leading sponsors. They sponsor MLS too.

6. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    WHOOSH, that is the sound of what I wrote going right over your head. Sarcasm, satire and generally taking the piss out of people. Please head to the nearest body shop for an adjustment.

7. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Here's alink to the AP story as run in the Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/20/AR2006042001185.html

My favorite Garber quote: "These are players that are celebrated not just when playing for England, but celebrated when they play for their club team. We're pleased to have a team of Chelsea's stature coming here to play."
    Hey Don, I hate to break it to you but only 4 of them (Terry, Cole, Lampard and Wright-Phillips) actully play for England, and 2 of them (Cole and Wright-Phillips) not all of the time. So I guess the rest of the players are chopped liver. . .

8. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming Terry, Lampard, Cole, Robben, etc. are not playing in the game, we'll be fine. But if Chelsea is going to go full strength, I've got a gut feeling the Blues (who are apparently my favorite of the EPL sides, no bandwagon here) will pull it out by 3.

9. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as these guys are in the new seal...
    [​IMG]

10. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Did you ever pause to consider that your term "everyone" only applies to the internet soccer fans, and that there are about 279.99 million other people in the U.S. who didn't know about this announcement before it was made?