Chelsea vs MLS All Stars 8/5 Bridgeview

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fanaddict, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Re: chelsea vrs mls all stars 8/5 Bridgeview

Just great. Another changed Crew date and another set of dicked-up travel plans. Stupid all star game.

3. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: chelsea vrs mls all stars 8/5 Bridgeview

It warms my heart.

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is MLS going to flip flop the schedules for the weekends of July 29th & Aug 5th??

The Revs have already had several changes this season, (and still anticipating some sort of change due to a game being scheduled a day ahead of a Bon Jovi show).

Ooooohhhh, ahhhhh...the all-star game...(yawn).

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    hehe they keep going with all star stupidity

7. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the stadiums are available on 7/29 then I would guess they would flip all the 8/5 games to that date. If not they will have to reschedule to another date.

8. cwt9

cwt9 New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Excellent!

I like the idea of MLS XI playing a big Euro clubs for the ASG. It connects MLS with the global soccer scene and it's a great incentive for MLS players to try to make the AS team.

9. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    woohoo....3 years in a row i get to c my blues here in the U.S. this match is going to be as bad as last years real match...........even though my united put up one hell of a match against them, this ownt be close, since just like last year, the all stars dont know how to play with each other since they never do. oh well COME ON CHELSEA!

10. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All stars beat fulham.

11. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United

ok, it's fulham, your point? :)

12. cosmojado

cosmojado Member

Oct 18, 2002
    in sin
    I love the all-star game, it frees me from the usual soccer saturday obligations and now I get to go do something else.

Beach day!

13. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    There are few bigger wastes of time than an East v West all All Star Game.

But anytime I can watch these guys play against the likes of Chelsea I am on board. Looking forward to this one.

I didn't read the story so I don't know the time they are playing. Hopefully they'll play this one at night. Hot daytime dates rarely provide the best showcase.

14. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care about the All-Star game, but what I really want to know is why they always call these things MAJOR announcements, especially considering everyone already knows what they're about to announce. Someday they're gonna want to announce a new owner or something and no one will be paying attention.

15. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to ESPN's advanced schedule the All Star Game time slot on ESPN is from 6:30PM EDT to 9:00PM

So I'd imagine we're looking at a 5:35 kickoff in Chicago....

16. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    alright plenty of time to recover from the night before and the cubs game the day before we all go tailgating on sunday! woohoo

17. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The point, I think, is that while sending a gaggle of MLSers, who didn't even know they were going until the last minute, overseas to play Real Madrid, with little time for rest or training, was a disaster, but MLS has done pretty well during its all-star game. They've managed to beat both Chivas and Fulham. There's no reason to think Chelsea will roll over them.

This format is the best possible one for MLS all-star games. The league gets to measure itself against good competition, and gets a little notice in the international community.

Besides, what's going to be your excuse when Chelsea loses 2-1?

18. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    So here are the 2 possible story lines that will come out of this game.

IF MLS WINS:

Although Chelsea is made up international stars, most coming off of playing in the WC in Germany, the team was still in it's pre-season and used the match as a glorified training session. "We looked good considering we haven't been together that long. We were able to get all 40 players some minutes today which will help." said coach Jose Mourinho. "The Americans made it difficult and the heat was very challenging".

IF MLS Loses:

MLS lost to a veritable Fantasy Soccer team backed by Russian billionaire Roman Abromovich's large wallet. With 37 of the 40 players having competed in the last month's WC Chelsea were in fine form. " It was a tough game. They are Chelsea, even Adu makes more than all of MLS players combined, so to only lose by 3 goals was a good experience." said MLS coach Piotr Nowak. "I though the slowed down as the heat came, but we were happy just to be on field. I hope we don't send them to hospital."

19. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    People are upset because the arguably best team in the world is coming to Chicago? Please let me have your tickets. Of all the high powered international teams, Chelsea is least likely to lose because of their tactical/defensive style.

20. Fleetwood Mac #1

Fleetwood Mac #1 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Queens, NY
    So what happens to the ABC timeslot the week before? I hope a regular season game will be shown.

21. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    prediction...........Jose starts his main guys for the 1st half, then 11 new players the 2nd half.....final score........6-1 mls scores there only goal in extra time

22. jlasoon

jlasoon Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Who cares this game is being shown in Primetime. ABC afternoon ESPN primetime.

take your pick!!

23. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    It would be nice if people decide BEFORE hand if this game means something or not.

Rolling out the praise or excuses afterwards is pretty meaningless.

24. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I'm underwhelmed. This will be the second year in a row that MLS will hold a self-flagellation seminar. Would have been worse if Fulham won last year.

Chelsea shoots. MLS swallows. I hope the MLS all-stars kick the living shit out of them.

25. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on what happens to the 5 August 5-6 matches (yes, 2 teams get byes)? Could they not just move one week back to the original ASG date?