Chelsea vs Liverpool-League Cup Final-Feb 25 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Suss, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    oikos, zaqualung, B.A. and 1 other person repped this.
  2. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  3. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Keep the ladder handy, lads, we're not done yet.

4. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Ever wonder what $1 Billion worth of plastic looks like? Well, here it is:

plastic.jpg

usscouse and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I was sat in the middle of the second strip of grass, the lighter shade, 5 rows back so, as it happened, I had as good a view as the linesman. Absolutely no-one around us was bothered. It was so definitely off that I was certain it wouldn’t even go to VAR.

The minute the ball crossed the goal line, the linesman raised his flag, in fairness. Then we had to wait for a public recitation of War And Peace before VAR said, “oh yeah, good call, offside”.

B.A. repped this.
  6. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was moving far better than half the players on the field after 120”.

7. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of those guys (but not Curtis obviously) looked pretty mobile. Let's hope they can get back in the team fairly soon. We need them back in form for ManC.

8. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Which is exactly my point. NOT a clear and obvious error!!!

9. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    SamScouse repped this.
  10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the subjective interpretation I’m talking about in that post you responded to was the interpretation done by the ref after he was asked to go to the monitor to review the incident.

I don’t think clear and obvious in this context is about whether Colwill can/would be able to make a plausible challenge. Because if Kavanaugh did indeed say to VAR “I didn’t see ANY contact with Endo in real time” or something like that, that is all they need.. Because there obviously was contact. And that would be the “clear and obvious” hurdle satisfied to tell him he should have another look.

BUT of course we would need to know exactly what was said, to be certain. Perhaps that info will come out.

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Former pro ref Keith Hackett writing for The Telegraph.

“The decision to rule out Virgil van Dijk’s opener at Wembley was incredibly harsh. Wataru Endo should not have been flagged offside and was merely standing his ground with Levi Colwill.”

“It goes back to the inconsistency of decision making among the VAR and officials and until that is improved we are going to witness these flashpoints. This happens every week up and down the country, where holding offences go unpunished.”

“Wataru Endo stood his ground – space is not owned by anyone on a football field – and there was nowhere he could go. Where is he expected to stand? The law says that an offence occurs when a player in an offside position interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball but I am not sure Colwill was getting to Van Dijk and he appeared to run into the Liverpool midfielder just as much as Endo made contact with him.”

“Liverpool’s sense of injustice does not stop there, however, and by the time Van Dijk scored they should have been playing 10 men anyway.”

“Moises Caicedo’s foul on Ryan Gravenberch in the first half was reckless and it endangered the safety of an opponent. Again, there’s plenty of inconsistency here: you saw on Saturday that Harry Maguire escaped a sending off for Manchester United but Billy Gilmour was dismissed for Brighton.”

“Yes, it is a final and you want it to remain 11 vs 11 at all times, but it was a sending off offence. Chelsea got away with one there.”

The Telegraph

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What's his injury? Given the way he jumped that gate - surely not much???

14. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That argument makes no sense to me. But agree to disagree.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  16. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I honestly believe those guys in the VAR booth are just bored. They're used to making decisions, so after a while they just start making $hit up.

zaqualung repped this.
  17. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
  18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The really funny thing about it is that this is an offside that technically shouldn't matter even though it is (if someone had thought about it when writing the law) - he's actually affecting the play less by virtue of being offside than were he onside and starting closer to the guy he's going to block.

The theory of the refereeing is well, because he's off he has to then be considered to be off and affecting the play.

By this reading, those players who do what Arsenal do and run back onside are always affecting the play by creating their line of uncertainty for the defensive line (whilst being offside doing it) just as much as someone blocking another player's line of movement are. It's merely a different way of starting to create an effect whilst offside.

soccershaggy and delaynomo repped this.
  19. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just like Diaz. :)

SamScouse repped this.
  21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hear, hear.

and you were heard, Samark!! :)

Samarkand repped this.
  22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    we're lucky Jones came away from that being able to walk at all :p:p:p:p

23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #400 SamScouse, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    even on the tv, as soon as the ball got to him I said "offside". plain as day ....

edit: not Sterling, the guy who passed it to him. miles off.