Chelsea versus Brazil

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by astar24, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I haven't seen the games in a while - I'll have to go back and take a look. Now that I think about it, Zico did spend more time up the pitch.......................
    I guess I'm goind to seed in my old age.

2. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's because the current Barca team is built around him

3. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good teams make their own luck (assuming luck exists, which is a whole other debate.) A team doesn't win a tournament because it's lucky.

4. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    This would be a huge game, and Brasil wins the big ones. I think the game would be close in february, but with a 1 month training camp prior to a WC , Brasil wins easily, IMO of course.

5. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    But a team can lose a tournament if its unlucky.

6. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Can't be arsed to read the thread, but Chelski would destroy them...........

Togetherness?

Probably 6/7 of the best players in the World in their positions?

Cech?
    Terry?
    Gallas?
    Makelele?
    Essien?
    Lampard?
    Robben?
    Crespo?

Not to mention Cudicini, Fereira, Carvalho, Huth, Maniche, Cole, Duff, Gudjonson, Drogba...........

Lets face it the WOPS suck, no National side would beat a top Club side, would they???

7. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I looked these matches up. Brasil was held to a 0-0 draw at home vs. Colombia (reports I read mentioned since the match is fuzzy to me said that Colombia was ultra defensive to say the least and 2 goals were disallowed), and managed to defeat Peru 1-0 at home. As for matches against uruguay and Ecuador, both of those matches were away from home, and Uruguay has historically been, along with Argentina, one of Brasil's most consistent and toughest rivals. They drew 1-1 in Montevideo (they drew 3-3 in Brasil as well) and they lost in Quito, Ecuador 0-1.

I think the nature of games (international vs. domestic league) and the circumstances surrounding them really are important. For example assembling players from several different clubs in Europe then taking the flight to Quito, Ecuador for a match is a bit different than what Chelsea goes through on a daily or weekly basis playing in the Premiership/Europe. I guess there's a few ways of looking at this scenario too - if Brasil were a club team and based in England, playing in the premiership vs. if Chelsea were a CONMEBOL National team that had to fly many of it's players to South America.

I would agree that the Brasil national team - the collection of 18-23 players - probably couldn't play 55-60 matches a year. Injuries happen, fatigue on the players... if they did play that amount of matches I'd go so far as to say that they probably wouldn't be as successful as several other clubs in the league as well.

However, if by being a club team expected to play so many matches a year that meant they had more roster spots and players, then it becomes far more interesting a concept and it challenges just how deep of a team Brasil actually is. Brasil is a terrific National team, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for with the 2 goals in 4 matches comment. It probably wasn't their best stretch of matches, but they did manage to collect 5 points in 4 qualifying matches and even finish #1 in CONMEBOL with a little help in the end.

I think it bears repeating - exactly how would fans want to measure the match? All things consistent, or all things as of today? Or if Brasil was a Club Team, or if Chelsea was a National team? There's plenty of interesting ways to look at this.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

LOL... Terry, Makalele and Lampard are the only Chelsea players who are the best in the world at their positions. If Gallas consistently played in one position he'd have a shot.

Crespo isn't even close. Robben loses to Vicente, Cech isn't top 3 and Essien may one day be the best box to box mid in the world, but he's not there yet. Gerrard and Lampard are both better than him in that regard.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Vicente hasn't been at the top of his game for two years, that's a terrible comparison. Its debateable if he will ever get back to his form under Benitez, and he's certainly not there now.
    Whether Robben is the "best in the world" at his position is debateable, but Vicente is certainly not better than he right now.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    i think Cech is top 3, no question.

11. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    You'll have a hard time justifying that, but let's say you are right. How many players does Brazil have who are the best at their position? Ronaldinho and Cafu are, but Ronaldo, Adriano, Kaka, Emerson, R. Carlos and Dida are all very good but not the best at their position.

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I wouldn't rank Cafu there anymore either now that Zambrotta is playing on the right.

13. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    True, Mr Know-it-All.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eh - I've been called worse. :p

15. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    I'm a nice guy. ;)

16. TRICOLOR BRASIL

Feb 5, 2004
    Brazil
    If there was a possibility of this game being worth something, Brazil would win. Not easily, but still win.

But in a friendly, Brazil would probably be bored like in almost every friendly, so it would probably end 0-0.

17. Guti™

Guti™ Moderator

Mar 6, 2005
    La Victoria
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Arent they the same person? :confused:

18. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    Ronaldinho/Ronaldo - plays for Real Madrid
    Ronaldinho Gaucho - plays for Barca

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    No, no, no, yes, no, no, no, no.

Almost correct WHU.

20. Guti™

Guti™ Moderator

Mar 6, 2005
    La Victoria
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I always knew him as Ronaldo ;) Thanks.

21. GhostInTheShell

GhostInTheShell New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Riga
    I don't like Chelsea,but I'm sure they will win.Team chemisty in football clubs is so much better than in NT. Remember Brazil-Sevilla friendly game.

22. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    The best club teams are better than the best international teams.

Come to think of it, considering the calibre of players involved, World Cup football is of a very low standard.

23. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    do you have one good reason why not? dont these players have club teams as well that play games? any set of players can play 55-60 games per year. even brazilians.

24. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    ahahahahahaaaahahaaa

25. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    If Boro is able to score three vs Chelsea perhaps Brazil can net a couple as well ;) :D