Chelsea versus Brazil

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by astar24, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not as far as I remember.

In fact I can't remember any recent losses...

I have a perfect memory :D

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Well, that should make law school a lot easier!
    Or harder, judging on the results of that perfect memory. ;)

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, there's been nothing painful enough for my memory to block out about Law School.

I think.

4. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Which, I'm hoping, includes your first semester grades. :D

5. ronaldinhobr10

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ronaldinho
    kaka
    adriano
    ronaldo

end of discussion.

6. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    The problem is, if Brazil plays every week, they would suffer the same ebb and flow of club football. You are not going to be at peak form for 40 weeks (the length of a season) at 1.3 games per week, you are going to suffer injuries that Ronaldo or Ronaldino or Adriano or Kaka will not be available for every game. You are going to rest your star players on lesser opponents, thus weakening the team. And worse yet, the star players are going to bitch at the manager for not starting them in every game...

That's why it's crazy to extrapolate a national team's form (basically 10-12 games a year) and think that it will sustain that form for 55-60 games.

The best club form in recent years were the 2003-04 Arsenal and the 2004-05 Chelsea, among the top clubs in the world. And yet they couldn't go a season without any setbacks. Arsenal lost all the cup competitions it entered, and Chelsea lost in the FA Cup and CL.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Zico, Falcao, Eder, Socrates

end of discussion
    I mean, they won the Cup so easily, how could anyone have possibly beat them. Right?

8. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    In a 4-game stretch:

0-0 vs Colombia
    0-1 vs Ecuador
    1-0 vs Peru
    1-1 vs Uruguay

2 goals in 4 games. What does that tell you about Brazil's "team attack"?

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Please, let's not get carried away with names and the entire "Brazil offense being unstoppable" myth.

Those four players don't do for Brazil what they do together for their respective clubs, ok?

You can say the same thing about a many national teams, Carragher, Terry, King, Ferdinand, end of discussion....

See my point?

10. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    It tells me our attack isnt the same 2000m at the top of the mountain. It would be interesting to see Chelsea play Ecuador in Quito after 4 months without practicing together. Give Brazil one month together and you will see a TEAM ATTACK.

11. Riker

Riker Member

Jan 26, 2005
    US
    For the record: Chelsea would give Brazil A LOT of trouble. The game could go either way.

12. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Chelsea is not a team after 4 months without practicing together. Chelsea plays every week. If "4 months without practicing together" is the reason Brazil loses, then

Chelsea > Brazil

13. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i dont think so. but i think wed have a better chance then chelsea because Juventus starters are wastly more experienced.

14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    bored? chelsea didnt win against everton cause they were bored and wanted a replay? yeah, that makes sense.

15. Gordygooner

Gordygooner New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Seriously lads, what on earth is a Chelsea related thread doing listed under The Beautiful Game?

16. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    the hell they would. and those teams right there are better then aston villa anyway. and who played for brazil in those games? unless kaka, ronaldinho, adriano and/or ronaldo are playing its meaningless. cause those alone are better then the entire chelsea lineup.

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    lmao you must be high.

18. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I think Chelsea would edge it. They're more of a coherent unit.

Someone mentioned games Chelsea have drawn this season. If Brazil were in the Premiership, they would not win every game, as well as all the cup games. How many times has Adriano gone missing this season? How many games has Ronaldo actually played? Kaka is no more effective than Lampard. Emerson is not better than Makelele. Lucio is not better than Terry.

Brazil would struggle to break Chelsea down, and Chelsea are very effective on the counter attack. Robben would make mincemeat of Cicinho.

19. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Oh, so your excuse is that Brazil doesn't have depth? Good, that means in a marathon, Chelsea is better. Afterall, what you are saying is that Brazil can't count on the foursome for the majority of a season, right?

Afterall, who's going to compare Brazil and Chelsea for one game only?

It seems like a league season would look like this:

Chelsea 38 32 5 1 49 12 101
    Brazil 38 27 5 6 72 40 86
    Man U 38 25 5 8 60 36 80
    Liverpool ....

And Brazil would brag as the only team that beat Chelsea...

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    hey im pretty sure brazil could come up with a better striker then carlton cole. so dont worry about depth. point was that chelsea had their best team against aston villa and still couldnt beat them. if brazil brought their best theyd hammer villa without even trying.
    im pretty sure the question here was a world cup/champions league final type setting. if its 10 games, id say 8-1-1 in brazils favour.

21. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    that is the most laughable thing i have ever seen.

22. Corintiano

Corintiano New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brazil
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If brazil NT ever had a chance to stay such a long time as an entire season in a league, they would trash every single team in every single league all over the world. They just don't play together enough to make this whole comparison fair.

Even this way, it seems reasonable for you to do such a comparison. I feel
    very flattered when i hear that about my country's nt :)

23. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Brazil would have a very hard time with Duff and Robben, that's for sure. I also think that Emerson and an old Ze Roberto would have a hard time winning the battle from Lampard, Essien and Makélélé. Unlike the Brazil midfield Chelsea has three players who can all start attacks and stop opposing attacks.

24. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Doesn't Chelsea have to win the CL or something before earning comparisons like this?

25. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Why? The CL is a knock out competition, and subject to all the luck that goes with it. Two years ago few people (not even the coach) would have argued that Porto were the best club in Europe when they won the CL.
    Liverpool beat Chelsea in the Champions League, their only win against Chelsea in 9(!!) games over the past two years. Does that make them better?